sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you experience AS [appetite suppression], it's almost like a drug. You're not craving foods. Food is in the background - your other life is in the forefront. -- Deedee

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help--Systems to exercise whilst at computer  (Read 12697 times)

Ann H

Help--Systems to exercise whilst at computer
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:07:13 am »

Hello, all...

What systems have any of you used/thought up/heard about that may let one effectively exercise whilst at the computer? I know you can do about anything in front of the TV, but I don't sit in front of the boob tube that long, but rather at the 'puter.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use an elliptical traininer whilst at the computer, with the ability to type, mouse, etc still intact. (Clearly, I'd have to take my hands off the handies thingies to type and mouse: that's OK.) Anyone gerryrigged anything that works for that? Or anything else?

(I hope that natural-born-engineer Frenata's reading this...)

Ann H

Re: Help--Systems to exercise whilst at computer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:19:06 am »

Wel, here's some stuff. I'm still not clear on what or how to rig up, though... I can't drill into my walls, and laptops and wi-fi are not in the future for me, or else this would be solved hey-presto.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-06-07-office-fit_x.htm?csp=34

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6656631.stm

http://www.squidoo.com/walkingwhileworking/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6657305.stm

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/2006/05/the_walking_des.html

nimi

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 05:33:11 am »

I use one of those big exercise balls to sit on rather than a chair - tuck your feet up and instant core workout as you keep balanced.

TalkingRat

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:01:28 am »

Seth is our expert on walking workstations.   :D   

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2000/08/29_work.html

Purple

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 06:09:00 am »

now you got me thinkin'!
mind you the contraptions really do look practical- I wonder if my kids would let me near pc if they laugh at me!
they do that now when I am on the ab-machine!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 09:48:03 am »

do the sitting on balls really do anything???  its easy to say you exercise the 'core muscels' but does it really work?? can i really workout whilst sitting at my pc??

losing-it

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 10:42:45 am »

You can do repetitions of muscle contractions, too: abs, thighs, calves, glutes, biceps whilst at computer. Abdominal rolls. Don't forget face and neck exercises  :lol: And deep, abdominal breathing exercises. Even kegel muscle. :oops:

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 06:36:28 pm »

I have some 3 lb weights at the computer that I use when reading or waiting for the computer to boot up.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:10:43 pm »

Seth is our expert on walking workstations.   :D   

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2000/08/29_work.html

The goal of the treadmill in my office was so I could stand while I worked. Not for exercise. I wanted to stand so that I could sleep better. Now I have found that working outdoors (in the shade) or near a big window has roughly the same effect as standing, only is much easier to do and much more available.

So I sit outside a lot. I am outside right now in fact. I may try the ball that nimi recommends. Has the added benefit of being weather-proof.

nimi

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 05:39:04 am »

Nougat - it depends on how you sit on the ball!  If you sit with your legs apart - unless you have really weak core muscles - not much is happening.  Sit with your legs together and you have to work a bit to stay on the ball.  Once that is too easy - lift your feet up.  How can I describe this - sit on the ball with your legs wide apart and bend your knees up and and your feet around the ball - frog legged.  It takes quite a bit of work not to fall over.  I use the thing for crunches, lifting weights and all of that. Make sure the ball is inflated enough - if it's too mushy then it's less work, too. 

irondawn

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 07:11:18 am »

There are also moves that are used in bellydance that one can do while sitting in front of a computer.  These movements generally involve upper, mid and lower abs, rhomboids, pectorals, and glutes.  However, all of them - except the glutes - can be seen by other people.  Since I'm in a far office, I tend to do chest lifts, drops, and glute squeezes a lot of the day.  The bonus about doing them is that after a bit, you feel more like dancing instead of staying in your seat.  A good thing if you are sitting at your computer at home.

There's also this little machine -

http://lifehacker.com/software/stuff-we-like/under+the+desk-pedal-exerciser-263136.php

It's gotten some odd reviews, so I can't vouch for it.

Finally - resistance bands.  The ones you can cut yourself and tie.  Tie them around your legs and use it as resistance work.  It will use different muscles depending on where you put it on your legs.  This was recommended to me from dancers and doctors.  Too bad I never followed through on it.  I'll have to go find my resistance band now...I'm inspired to do it again!

Gluten-free, mostly organic

"Absolutely nothing tastes as good as fit feels."

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:13:22 pm »

So I sit outside a lot. I am outside right now in fact. I may try the ball that nimi recommends. Has the added benefit of being weather-proof.

Sorry Seth, but I just can't shake the image of you sitting outside on a fitness ball, typing on your laptop with one hand and holding an UMBRELLA with the other!!  Tell me it ain't so!!  :lol:

losing-it

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 01:34:51 pm »

Sorry Seth, but I just can't shake the image of you sitting outside on a fitness ball, typing on your laptop with one hand and holding an UMBRELLA with the other!!  Tell me it ain't so!!  :lol:

It's because of the oil, Magpie. Must be that rain rolls right off 'im like a duck.  :lol:

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 02:16:14 pm »

:lol: :lol:

Vee

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 06:54:52 am »

Teresa Tapp has sit down exercises that can be done at the PC. I have no financial interest and you can get great moves for free.  It has helped me a lot because even when not regularly working out I use her alignment and form as I go through my day.  Try it. Sit up straight and tall, then push your feet into floor and you can feel thighs and abs working. Add a tuck and the butt says "hello!" while the abs tighten more.  Hold that while doing Tapp's seated upper body moves (below) and you can really work, even sitting down. You'll pump lymph, too, which immediately makes me feel better.

At the Amazon site below, scroll down to the video and go in 25 seconds for the beginning of her instructions. Especially interesting is the contrast between the regular curl she demonstrates vs the T-Tapp curl that engages more muscles and produces way more heat. Looks easy but when done with proper concentration -- alignment, muscle contraction, form -- you will feel it. If you're interested in more information, search youtube for t-tapp.
http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Fabulous-Minutes-Teresa-Tapp/dp/0345484045/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1482045-9425753?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183553369&sr=8-1

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...

~ Mary Poppins
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18