Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Why I hate soccer - be forewarned. Not for the easily offended.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I hate soccer - be forewarned. Not for the easily offended.  (Read 43050 times)

djdawg

Re: Why I hate soccer - be forewarned. Not for the easily offended.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 10:46:18 AM »

Baseball is losing it's place in American history and that's a shame. 

For me, it's because I don't know anyone that can afford to take a family of 4 to a major league baseball game.  The closest ball park to me is over 4 hours away, so any trip  to see a game involves an overnight stay. 

That being said, we go see the Frontier League play at least 6-7 times a year.  That team is only 45 minutes away.

Great point!  I totally missed this one...in my little town of Bellingham there is a small farm league that plays and the games are a blast to watch.  When I go to the games it gives me hope because these guys get paid nothing to play.  Purely for passion.  Some of them will go into the majors.  Keep your eyes open for some really killer deals at your big league ballpark.  A couple of times a year the Mariners have like a four pack where you get txt, hotdogs and soda for a fairly reasonable price.

djdawg

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »

If you abhor bragging parents - skip the next few sentences

My son is in Babe Ruth and he recently had a game in which he:

turned an unassisted double play at second base
had 2 doubles
2 singles
and 7 RBIs.
His coach moved him to 2 in the lineup :-)

And he rocks as a catcher. 

That's awesome!  Brag all you want I think you should be proud.

You know I started thinking after reading some of these posts and I think my take might need to be tweaked a bit.

I think for boys and girls things have gone in two different directions.  Over the years opportunities for girls to be involved in baseball have certainly opened up and the restrictions that were there in the day (just watch the old school "Bad News Bears" - OMG freakin' hilarious!) are not really present anymore.  Well at least I don't think they are....

I think the tweak that I need to make is that boys are losing their way when it comes to baseball.  Now Nimi I understand that you are heavily involved in recreational sports and probably most of your casual aquaintences are involved in it too so you may not agree but you are the exception to the rule.

Girls being involved is fantastic, don't get me wrong...whether it's little league, softball, whatever but we all have to agree that most girls don't give a lick about the game.  I have four girls and my oldest excelled in softball and the other 3 merely yawned when it was suggested.  But for boys....for BOYS it is definitely a rite of passage that is waning.  Tek, great post about havning a hard time finding other girls to play but again that is nothing too unique.  Girls just aren't as interested in the sport so that's not what's changed.  What I'm talking about specifically is a long standing tradition that boys grow up with and how THAT'S changed.

When I was young I remember the whole neighboorhood getting together to play baseball and if there weren't enough people, we would play 500.  Sometimes there would be up to 12 - 15 of us and I don't remember one girl showing up or asking to play.  So girls involvement in baseball is probably about the same if not more. 

At any rate, it's cool that there are people that still care about the game and it's importance to America.  And on the eve of our Independence day, all I can say is THANK YOU!

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY AMERICA!!!!!   

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »

Bellingham!  I don't know why but I had a feeling you were in my general neck of the woods.  My parents live on Whidbey Island and I'm down south in Vancouver.   Thank you for reminding me I need to find a weekend that we can go up and watch the M's play.  Although as soon as I schedule it, they will start losing.  I haven't hit a winning game yet.  :?

OK djdawg, I can see your point about it waning for the boys.  The girls are getting more and more involved, and it's really exciting.  Both of my daughters played, and understood and cared about the game.  My 11 yo even talks about what she thinks the coach should do in certain situations.  It's really cute.  And many people may have never seen a fastpitch game.  It requires a great deal of skill, and can be just as exciting as a boys' game.  It's not like basketball, where there's a typical skill differential between girls and boys that makes it much more exciting to watch the boys.  Seeing the same diving plays, watching my daughter gun down a runner at third from right field, or watching a pitching duel can be equally exciting as watching a boys game or watching the MLB.

T-Vix

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »

I can relate to the cost aspect. In the UK, the cost of going to a Premier League game is horrendous. First there's the cost of getting there, fuel in the UK is way too expensive, around $2 a liter, then there's parking, add to that the cost of the tickets plus something to bite on whilst you are there. You'd almost need a second mortgage to be able to do it. I'm pretty sure that the situation is the same in the States, where corporate hospitality suites seem to be taking over the stadiums and pricing the real fans out of the equation.

Sorry Falconcy, I totally disagree here.  It's the bloody RIDICULOUS salaries of the players that's sending ticket prices through the roof!!  Where do you think all the millions of dollars to pay these people comes from?!!?  From YOUR pocket when you watch a game!! And all that just for kicking or hitting a stupid ball around.

It pisses me off no end that someone can get so much money and adulation for something that really does so little benefit for the world, other than the excitement and fun element, and then we typically pay the real heros of our world so little.

There.  My rant for the day.

Nufftin

• A work in progress
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 01:33:50 PM »

I think the major attraction for me as a parent (who was a terrible baseball player as a youth) is the emphasis on team in soccer. I still remember walking back to the dugout with the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach (without any ELOO) after yet another strikeout as an eight-year old, and my kids don't seem to go through that playing soccer. I'm just glad they get the exercise, which they wouldn't get playing baseball/softball.

I grew up with baseball, but spent 5th and 6th grade at an English public school, where I learned to appreciate soccer and, to some extent, cricket. The kids who lived around me were huge Manchester City fans, and were very disappointed when we turned out to be United fans (due to our babysitter knowing Matt Busby). Though I eventually osmosed the rules of cricket, rugby remains foreign territory to me.

As complex as baseball is, I'm amazed at my fellow parents who sit on the side of the pitch and profess no understanding of (or wish to understand) the match in front of them. Granted, the kids are not playing the game at a very high level but, come on. . . .

Conquering myself until/I see another hurdle approaching
Say we can, say we will/Not just another drop in the ocean.

falconcy

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 12:51:13 AM »

Huge salaries are merely another part of the equation. Regarding my point, check out any Premier League stadium and you'll find a whole load of space being taken over by corporate hospitality suites. Companies pay big bucks for those. When there are events in neutral stadiums, the real fans are often very restricted as far as how many tickets are made available goes, the number of tickets available is often way less than the number of seats in the stadium. The balance apparently goes to corporate and sponsors, this group often gets more availability than the actual fans. Limiting the number of tickets also allows the prices to be pushed up.

nimi

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 05:33:08 AM »

And many people may have never seen a fastpitch game.  It requires a great deal of skill, and can be just as exciting as a boys' game.

So true.  Fast-pitch softball is a great sport.  Those girls play hard.  I always wonder how the pithers don't dislocate their shoulder!  I certainly couldn't hit them.

Slow pitch is an excuse for guys to drink beer. :D

I've heard the Seattle ballpark is great.  Haven't been out to that one yet. 

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »

Huge salaries are merely another part of the equation. Regarding my point, check out any Premier League stadium and you'll find a whole load of space being taken over by corporate hospitality suites. Companies pay big bucks for those. When there are events in neutral stadiums, the real fans are often very restricted as far as how many tickets are made available goes, the number of tickets available is often way less than the number of seats in the stadium. The balance apparently goes to corporate and sponsors, this group often gets more availability than the actual fans. Limiting the number of tickets also allows the prices to be pushed up.

Nah Falconcy, I don't buy this argument!  Corporate seats give prestige but they are not the "bread and butter" that keeps venues operating - its the ordinary punter who goes to a game and then buys a few bears and something to eat on top of the ticket that keeps it turning over. 

It's like high end fashion designers - they would starve if they relied on the haute couture part of their business.  A lot of the wild stuff that comes down the runways is really to give them PR and prestige and they use this to move big volumes of the lower price-point but very profitable items like perfume and accessories because that's where the REAL money is.  Same with corporate boxes, sure they make money and they give prestige to the venue, but bums on seats are where the real profit comes from. 

When you are paying the likes of David Beckham A MILLION $ US A WEEK  :shock: :shock: - where do you think all that money comes from?  The corporate suits that run the LA club taking a pay cut?  Doubt it - they will just pump up their annual bonuses because they were soooo clever to sign him.  No, they will get the money from the ordinary punter because, gee, you have to pay lots to see someone so fantastic as  David Beckham, and so the ticket prices go up. 

Oh, and of course you'll want a nice little shirt with DB's team number on it, well can't have that for a reasonable price either, because after all it's a little "sacred link" to the almighty Beckham, so you can pay through the nose for that too.

The money has to come from somewhere Falconcy., and I see that more and more it is nickled and dimed from the ordinary bloke because corporate greed has gotten out of hand and the regulators can't or won't do anything about it. 

And yes, I do realise that this is the price we pay for living in a free capitalist society, and frankly I wouldn't want any other alternative, but I think the "greed is good" mentality of the 80's is still very much with us.

falconcy

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 02:53:50 AM »

My point was also taking into account ticket availability, another way to ensure that there is a heavy demand for the expensive tickets that are available. In 60-80,000 venues, there were like 18,000 tickets available for the fans of each respective team. Where did the rest go?

You are of course right about the grossly overpaid primadonna's who play for the main teams. Since we agree about Beckham, who without a doubt has turned things into showbiz rather than actually playing the game, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P842Tmi6lrc

Brings him down to size :P

ZM

• Pete on the C2 wiki
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »

I don't hate soccer, and I enjoy playing it. But watching it, it's just not my code. Anyway I posted elsewhere on AFL so I guess I'm somewhat spoken for in the football department.

But baseball ...

Well, some folk think cricket is dull. I was raised with it so I know why it's thrilling. Yeah, the commentators really do count the number of seagulls on the field, the game can go for 4 days producing a draw, and the big trophy is a tiny urn with the ashes of a burnt stick in it ... but cricket is not dull. If you can face a 6 ounce wooden projectile flung at 100 miles an hour over and over and make it look dull, you are a frickin' genius.

As a kid I played baseball and deluded myself that it had more action than cricket. I thought it was a fast paced game played by a fast paced people.

Right up until I saw my first professional American baseball game. Now bear in mind I am a dual citizen - I took American citizenship because I love the place. Despite its present political and economic implosion. I'm married to an American, my son is an American, and I have nothing but admiration for the good things in America.

But baseball is not one of them.

I mean, fer cryin' out loud, how the hell can you chumps invent a game that is *MORE* boring than cricket? Nothing frickin' happens! For hours! The players all look drugged most of the time, they wander around aimlessly spitting tobacco, and when they finally get up and do something most of the time it's a foul.

And stealing bases is just downright stupid.

Baseball is the only game I've ever watched that made me feel happy when the station cut to an ad break. It is simply the most excruciatingly dull utter waste of time ever unjustly dignified with the word "sport".

I would rather have periodontal therapy - *incompetent* periodontal therapy - than ever watch another live game of professional Baseball. I think the only reason people drink so much beer at these so-called games is to dull the pain. I mean, ever notice how tailgate parties are held out in the parking lot? Even drunks can't stand to watch it!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to say just how deeply nauseous baseball makes me. It may be an American tradition. But then, so are futile foreign wars. And really I feel funny saying this, but given the choice between baseball and losing wars of invasion, I'd probably take the losing wars of invasion.

Well, okay, maybe not, but I'd have to think about it.
Fat ---- Me -------- Thin                    (Going back on ELOO)

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »

Oddly enough, I've heard cricket described by an American as "baseball on valium".  Everyone's mileage (or kilometrage) may vary, I guess. :)

djdawg

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 10:54:10 AM »

......economic implosion.....

Not to hijack my own thread but the U.S. economy is doing the best that it has in years!!!

At any rate, I don't know much about cricket but it does seem like an exciting game...I don't know any of the rules but it looks very interesting!   :)

ZM

• Pete on the C2 wiki
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 06:21:12 AM »

Not to hijack my own thread but the U.S. economy is doing the best that it has in years!!!

Um ... seen your exchange rate today? Heard anything about that subprime loan market collapse? Foreclosures up 500%? Understand why China has been dumping US dollars since March? Heard Merrill Lynch is projecting oil over $100/barrell in the next few months? How about the $120 trillion in US debt (including derivatives ...)? US Comptroller said yesterday hostile foreign powers hold so much US debt the whole country is their bitch ... that doesn't ring a bell? Amazon in its 2nd year of drought - know what happens if that goes one more year?

US household earnings over debt is now at its worst since 1933. Of course that's better than 1929 ... would that be the "years" you have in mind?
Fat ---- Me -------- Thin                    (Going back on ELOO)

K-Mac

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 08:47:14 AM »

Um ... seen your exchange rate today? Heard anything about that subprime loan market collapse? Foreclosures up 500%? Understand why China has been dumping US dollars since March? Heard Merrill Lynch is projecting oil over $100/barrell in the next few months? How about the $120 trillion in US debt (including derivatives ...)? US Comptroller said yesterday hostile foreign powers hold so much US debt the whole country is their bitch ... that doesn't ring a bell? Amazon in its 2nd year of drought - know what happens if that goes one more year?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  I should just go kill myself right now!  The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!!!   :twisted:

Uh, all markets have corrections.  Many people are learning the hard way what it means to get in over your head, which they did during this fantastic economy due to low interest rates.  The most wonderful thing about Americans is that we are most excellent at bouncing back from our mistakes and learning from them.  I have no doubt that our economy will get through this, as it has past corrections, and come out even stronger and better as a result.  Plus, there are so many strong sectors right now that are cancelling out the subprime mortgage woes and high gas prices.  It's not uncommon for some sectors to perform badly while other sectors are performing at thier best.  Unemployment is still very low here and the economy is still booming.  I even saw where the IRS took in record income the first quarter of this year (depsite all of Bush's tax cuts which all the liberals criticized...now if we can just get the idiot to cut spending too!)  And our federal deficit actually decreased last quarter.

And don't you worry, even if we needed to be bailed out from all the turmoil you claim that we're in, rest assured we would never ask any other countries or international organizations for their help the way they ALWAYS ask for ours.  We know how to take care of ourselves, so you needn't worry or criticize.

And you would think you (and others who depend on currency other than the dollar) would appreciate the current exchange rate!  What better time to take a vacation to Maui or Alaska and do some shopping?

And finally, I wouldn't be using China as an example of anything having to do with economics.  There is so much corrpution involved in that country in every aspect, not just financial, that I wouldn't be surprised if you see them have a major market correction withiun the next 6-12 months.  (Just look at the obvious corrpution in their food industry alone.)  Communism doesn't work, in case you failed to notice.  Capitalism, when allowed to thrive, will take care of its mistakes and problems in due time.

Nufftin

• A work in progress
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »

OK, OK, everybody, deep breaths. Note subject line of thread. No, not the "easily offended" part, the first four words. If you would like to start a new thread talking about the state of the economy, or indeed anything else not having to do with why you hate soccer, please change the subject line.

Now, please take a look at this thread on "Why are people who post here so well-behaved?" http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=2170.0

I am still only a Newbie, and this discussion seems to be between a Jr. Member and a Full Member, but I would request that we get back to soccer. There are numerous other places where you could have this discussion.

[Ducks and covers]

Conquering myself until/I see another hurdle approaching
Say we can, say we will/Not just another drop in the ocean.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18