Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 140   Go Down

Author Topic: Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure  (Read 449202 times)

shovelqueen

Re: Shovelqueen's SDL Adventure
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »

I've been toying with the idea of getting into running. In fact, I have the Couch To 5K podcasts on my MP3 player (the 9-week program that works you slowly up to doing the 5K run). After a couple of runs, though, my left knee has a bit of a twinge in it, so I have to lay off for a few days.

I'll keep plugging away at it, though, since my knees have been feeling slightly better since I started my ELOO regimen. Maybe in a few more weeks I will start it up again.
[/color]

I didn't start running until I was 40+.  In fact, the first thing I ever did was to powerwalk a full marathon!  It was awesome.  Once I switched up to running, the longest I've done is a half-marathon 21k/13mi.  I did have a few creaks and groans to deal with -it's inevitable when you're "in the prime of life" - but if you want it, Kayvan, don't let problems get in the way.  I found chiropractic, massage, really good shoes and some very specific strengthening execises helped me over the various humps. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Vronnie

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »

Hi kayvan

I found some problem with my knees when I started exercising but have resolved it via careful stretching of the archilles tendon & also something or other at the front of the ankle. Exercises were recommended by a physiotherapist/Feldenkrais practitioner.....I really recommend getting some good advice so that so you;

1) don't do yourself damage
2) don't cease your exercise because you've got nagging sore bits

kayvan

• Going for six pack abs...
    • Kayvan's Calorie-Count.Com Journal
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2007, 05:34:04 PM »

Thanks, Vronnie, for the advice! I'll look into it. I just walk a lot and use the elliptical trainer right now, but I am interested in adding running at some point soon.
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.
My SLD Page

shovelqueen

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2007, 04:42:14 AM »

Well, I just finiished my first full shovelglove workout.  I swung and shovelled with my new 6 lb sledgehammer for the full 14 minutes.  It was fun!  I did it with my going-to-work clothes on - I got a warm glow, but no flowing sweat.  I imagined shovelling cement in Guatemala (a lower flip of the shovel) and shovelling snow out of my driveway (shooting the snow over my shoulder), and lots of other imaginary stuff.  My arms are shaky and tingly now, so they've had a good workout. 

For anyone else interested, check out the link on Kayvan's page.

I'm not posting tracking data until tomorrow, as I've got several factors inflating my weight this morning.  My body is holding on to lots of fluid after the run yesterday - the muscles are busy rebuilding themselves after being abused yesterday morning, and are always a little puffy the next day, plus TOM started this a.m.  I've spent the entire last week below 141, so I'm just not willing to let that stand as my weekly weighin.  I'll update tomorrow.

kayvan

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:18 AM »

Very fun!! Thanks for the update.

I just did my 14 minutes in my cubicle at work, while baby-sitting a software build.

---Kayvan
My SLD Page

shovelqueen

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »

You have a sledgehammer at work!?! :shock:  Must be a Silicon Valley thing...

kayvan

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »

You have a sledgehammer at work!?! :shock:  Must be a Silicon Valley thing...

Yeah, I brought it into our workout room and started playing with it and once my co-workers got comfortable with it, I occasionally do my exercises in my cube.

I also have some pushup bars under my desk so that when I start to feel bored or sleepy, I can just pop out 50 pushups and get back to work. It's not really a Silicon Valley thing. I'm just weird. :-)
My SLD Page

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 10:54:14 AM »

Your co-workers must appreciate the break in routine! :lol:

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

shovelqueen

Re: Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2007, 04:14:38 AM »

ARGGGHHH! Stupid TOM! Last Tuesday I checked in at 141, then spent the entire next week at 140.5, and Sunday was 140.0  Now when I want to report weight loss, I'm up!  141 lbs for the last 2 days.  I've been careful, so it's not fat, just frustrating.  I'm so close to the 130's, I can smell them!

OK, enough ranting!  I'm not putting my ticker back up.  Maybe the first shovelglove workout yesterday caused some muscle fluid retention in my upper body.  My nether regions are certainly talking to me this morning, feeling bloaty and crampy. 

On the up side of life (and there's always an up side!), my husband gets home this evening after being away on a business trip to China for the past 15 days, and our family will be back together, just the four of us, for the first time in almost 2 years.  With my son spending a year in Germany, then his cousin spending a year with us, it's been a while since it's just been us together.  Life moves on...

Having DH home means I no longer get uninterupted hours in front of the computer (there's now 3 us us sharing this box), so I may post a bit less often, but I'll definitely stay in touch.  This forum is a very big part of the support and enjoyment that I've gotten out of the whole SLD experience.

hotlipshonnol

• Texas/Virginia
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »

Shovelqueen,
I've been meaning to ask you a rather awkward question regarding running:
I've always been interested in taking up running for that high, but I have a couple of problems-notably, that I'm rather...busty. I work in one of the largest lingerie stores in the world and have yet to find sports bra that would truly prevent painful bouncing-any suggestions? I've also  heard that if you run too much, you can break down valuable muscle. Since you're a nutritionist, is there any merit to this claim?
So glad to hear that your husband and son are back!
I don't care what consequence it brings, I have been a fool for lesser things...

shovelqueen

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »

I'm afraid you're talking to altogether the wrong person when it comes to issues around "bustiness".  I just barely fill a B cup on a good day!  Despite that, I would never run without a sportsbra holding everything nicely in place. 

I used to get catalogues from a place called Title Nine Sports, who specialize in sportsbras and other running gear for any sized body.  They have web info - just google Title Nine.  Great stuff, if I remember the catalogue correctly.  I never ordered anything (too expensive to ship to Canada, duties, exchange, etc)

Hope this helps.  Running is a great activity for physical and mental benefits.  It can be as solitary or as social as you want it to be.  And done in moderation, there is no danger of muscle damage.  Look for a running store in your area - most of them run clinics for beginners, and they are great for good, safe starting, plus a whole group of new friends.

Starpirate

• California girl
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »

This could be a temporary solution, wear two sports bras!
My sister is pretty big, and this is what she does.
Although I am no where close to my sister, I started doing this as well.
It makes a big difference!
Starpirate

shovelqueen

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2007, 07:46:20 PM »

I switched to ELOO this afternoon for the first time.  I was at the end of my bottle of canola, and had bought a bottle of ELOO that I've been using as my "light-flavoured" cooking/frying/baking oil.  so I took some to work with me and swigged it this afternoon.  2 T. as usual, taken straight, chased with about half my water bottle of plain water.  I noticed it was lighter textured, not as "oily" a feel in my mouth.  Didn't notice any taste doing it my usual way - big breath in, 1-2 oil swallows, chug water, then wipe mouth and breath out. 

So, it will be interesting to see the effect on AS and any other benefits.  I've been quite satisfied with the Organic processed Canola, but it requires a trip to not-my-usual grocery store, across town, so I've decided to give the ELOO a try.  Will report back.

Seem to be on a mini-plateau of 141 lbs or so all this week, up about 1/2 lb consistantly from last week.  TOM is over, so the weight can drop any time now (Hint, hint - you hear me, oh body of mine??)

falconcy

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2007, 03:32:13 AM »

You may find it could take a while to kick in, changing oils has a habit of doing that. Hang on in there though, ELOO has more benefits, like skin for example. If you have rough patches on the elbows, you will see improvement there. Hair can improve too. Tis a case of your mileage may vary, it is not the same for everyone.

shovelqueen

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2007, 07:44:39 AM »

Another Whoosh day!! And this one has taken me into the 130's!!! :D :D :D  I dropped from 140.5 yesterday to 139.0 today - WAHOO!  Happy dance time!!!  If I can hold onto the 130's until weigh-in report day on Tuesday, I'll update my ticker.

Interestingly, I could tell yesterday that it was happening - the whoosh, I mean.  Just felt thinner, if you know what I mean.  Had a really un-restful night, too, things happening in my body, I guess. 

Off to another family picnic today.  Looking fab to see all the relatives - new little denim skirt and new tank. 8)  Then a stargazing party tonight - more food! :shock:  Tonight are the Persied meteor showers, for anyone in the northern hemisphere.  Average one shooting star every minute!  Neat show!

Good AS with the changeover to ELOO.  Lighter mouthfeel, too, makes it a bit easier to take.  I think I'll stick with it. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 140   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18