Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 140   Go Down

Author Topic: Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure  (Read 449200 times)

shovelqueen

Re: Shovelqueen's SDL Adventure
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 04:25:50 AM »

Scale said 143.5 yesterday and 144.0 today.  Had a birthday supper for SIL yesterday, and bought the richest chocolate double fudge cake I could find for her.  She ate a 2 1/2 inch wedge without batting an eye.  I cut myself a wedge about 1/2 wide, and could barely finish it.  This is not different from before SLD, as I'm not a fan of chocolate - find it too rich.  After I ate it, I felt awful - stuffed, bloated.  The answer was to go for a run, despite the heat ahd humidity and threatening thunderstorm.  I managed to run for almost 40 min without getting too far from home (in case of storm), and felt MUCH better afterwards.

Once I hit 143, I will have lost 10 lbs and be at the bottom of my usual range (last 10 years).  I call it usual range, but I actually seldom got below 148 or so.  Below 143 is seldom visited territory - I can't wait to see it!!  I plan to live there from now on!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

shovelqueen

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 04:52:10 AM »

It's been an interesting few days.  I'm still hanging at 144.0, but that's OK, I know that I drop in spurts.  One of these days, I'll get up to find I've dropped 1-1 1/2 lbs all of a sudden. 

On Tuesday, I was offered a piece of KFC Chicken at work (leftover from the resident's special treat meal).  I ate one little drumstick, no fries, only a fraction of what everyone else ate.  With the first bite of the skin (all those "secret spices, you know), I detected a real "chemical" taste.  I thought to myself that maybe I was developing the "super-taster" type sensation that has been discussed here alot, and I also thought to myself, "How come everone is enjoying this so much?"  But after the first bite, I didn't notice it so much, and ate the whole piece. 

Well . . . less than an hour later, I started noticing sensations in my throat, my larynx to be precise, as though I was losing my voice.  The feeliing developed over the afternoon and evening, my vocal cords swelling, and I lost my voice.  It's now almost 2 days later, and my voice is still hoarse and husky.  I also felt crappy yesterday, tired and in a brain fog, so I'm sure that it was some kind of chemical reaction.  It will be a long time before I eat KFC again!!

The worst part is that I drive off this morning to a 4 day girls weekend at a cottage with my 3 best highschool girlfriends.  Traditionally, we work on projects, eat, drink, and TALK for 4 whole days, the only time in the year that I see them.  This voice problem SUCKS!!  I have my oil packed, some good food choices, but I'm going to enjoy myself this weekend, and deal with consequences later.  My goal is to come home still at 144.  My running gear is packed, too. 

See you all on Monday!

shovelqueen

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 05:06:24 AM »

Happy Monday morning!  I'm back from the cottage weekend, loaded with not-so-healthy carbs, but ready to climb back on the wagon.  My voice returned to normal by Saturday morning, so that part resolved OK.  It rained buckets on Saturday, precluding anything except staying in the cottage, working on our projects (I handquilted the entire top of a single bed quilt!), and talking and eating.  One friend always brings home-made cookies, lovingly made by her husband - dozens of them.  Another's husband sent a 2 lb box of chocolate miniatures!  We had all kinds of wine, and I drank only 1 of my beers.  Meals were NOT nutritionall y balanced, and they ALL ended with cookies or chocolate, even breakfast. 

I took my oil along, and sucked it back upon rising (I get up much earlier than my friends), so AS was pretty good.  I ate significantly less than my girlfriends (We're all fairly slim, BTW), and drank less, too, but no feelings of deprivation.  My one runner friend and I did get a good 25 min run in on Sunday morning, before going into the lake for a swim.  All in all, a great girlfriend weekend.  This morning, the scale says 145, up 1 lb from last week, but that is easily taken care of now that I am back home again.  I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing worked out.  Having the AS from the oil really makes choices easier.

I'm off work today with a barfing child, so I think I'll get some work done around the house, and maybe a good run.

Have a great day, all!!

shovelqueen

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »

Well, scale was down to 143.5 yesterday, and back up to 145 this morning, but the blip is due to dinner out (I had big oriental chicken salad, and fed almost half to my tablemates - the consequences of living with all men, husband and 3 teenaged boys, all with licked-clean plates, and eying my still full one!)  Also ended up at a friend's house last night for a glass of red wine - maybe the real reason for the jump.  It's not fat, that's for sure. 

Ran 10.5k on Mon eve and felt the strongest I have for a while.  I'm gearing up for a 9 mile run (14k) by the end of the month.  I have to watch my eating that I get enough carbs to do that without problems.  Running out of "gas" before the end of the workout is not fun. 

My goal is to get to 140 by the end of the month, and I get frunstrated when I'm stuck around 144 for so long, but I have to remind myself that I was at 146 at the beginning of the month, and 153 6 weeks ago.  Patience, grasshopper...

fitnessfreak

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 03:49:41 PM »

Hang in there. I understand about needing patience to lose the weight. I keep reminding myself that it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. I'm in the holding period too- I also took up jogging again. I think my body is holding on to water big time right now.Or something. I'm most certainly in a set point battle right now.

shovelqueen

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »

Well, life has taken a strange turn this week.  I am totally alone for 5 days, both of my sons off at different camps. my exchange student flew home to Germany yesterday after 11 months here, and today, my DH left for 2 weeks in China.  The house is empty, which just never happens to me.  I can eat anything I want without having to take anyone else into consideration.  Even grocery-shopping this week was weird, shopping just for myself!  It's a great opportunity for some experimentation re diet, never mind that I don't have to fight anyone for time at the computer.  I don't think I'll be trying anything too strange, however, as what I'm doing now seems to be working.  I just posted in the Milestones thread for the first time. 

My AS on the once a day 2T. canola oil appears to be good enough that my intake is down significantly.  Last night, I brought home 2 skewers of marinated salmon for the BBQ, about 150g each.  DH ate all of his, but I was very happy with half of mine, plus a plateload of grilled low-cal veggies, and saved the rest for supper tonight.  I would not have done that before.  Tonight, the other half, with fresh green beans and about 1/4 cup leftover rice was more than enough - I feel stuffed. 

I want to run this evening, but I know that I have not had enough carbs today for a run around the block (It's a big block - 10.5k), so I think I will pull out my T-Tapp DVD and do her workout instead.  Inspired by the recent discussions here to get back at it. 

fitnessfreak

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »

Well, life has taken a strange turn this week.  I am totally alone for 5 days, both of my sons off at different camps. my exchange student flew home to Germany yesterday after 11 months here, and today, my DH left for 2 weeks in China.  The house is empty, which just never happens to me.  I can eat anything I want without having to take anyone else into consideration.  Even grocery-shopping this week was weird, shopping just for myself!  It's a great opportunity for some experimentation re diet, never mind that I don't have to fight anyone for time at the computer.  I don't think I'll be trying anything too strange, however, as what I'm doing now seems to be working.  I just posted in the Milestones thread for the first time. 

My AS on the once a day 2T. canola oil appears to be good enough that my intake is down significantly.  Last night, I brought home 2 skewers of marinated salmon for the BBQ, about 150g each.  DH ate all of his, but I was very happy with half of mine, plus a plateload of grilled low-cal veggies, and saved the rest for supper tonight.  I would not have done that before.  Tonight, the other half, with fresh green beans and about 1/4 cup leftover rice was more than enough - I feel stuffed. 

I want to run this evening, but I know that I have not had enough carbs today for a run around the block (It's a big block - 10.5k), so I think I will pull out my T-Tapp DVD and do her workout instead.  Inspired by the recent discussions here to get back at it. 

Not enough carbs to run? I've been running for a long time (10K distances) and I never bought into the carbs to run theory. In fact, I believe your body will use protein and it's fat stores if you don't feed it carbs before running. People with very low fat percentages need carbs - I believe that. But I have enough fatty stores to run on carb-empty for a while. I realize it's not what mainstream teaches at all, but I've read it in a few books that are willing to look outside of the box - Atkins being one. Do you actually notice a difference when running?

I just wonder if you've tried without the carbs to see what happens?

I love running. It makes me feel alive. Also, I'm excited about T-Tapp. I am going to get it based on websites and results I've seen and what everyone says.

shovelqueen

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 08:37:10 AM »

I can run until about 50-60  min, then I just poop right out if I haven't had a enough carbs at the previous meal or two.  When I tried Atkins about 2 years ago, I cut my carbs to below 50g/day and my exercise tolerance dropped drastically from half-marathon 2 weeks prior to unable to complete 1 mile by 1 week into the diet.  The ability to run did return somewhat as time went on (I did Atkins for about 2 1/2 months), but never good for the really long runs.

I love running too for the alive feeling, and the way it makes me feel strong and centered.  The T-Tapp gives me a different feeling, and the benefits complement the running well.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »

And another one for low-carbs,

" low-carbohydrate diet helps people with a condition called metabolic syndrome, a collection of serious risk factors found in some obese individuals.

Now, a new study confirms the diet is effective against the syndrome, and the researchers think they've discovered how it works.

Eating a low-carb diet improves the hormonal signaling involved in obesity and improves the sense of fullness, allowing weight loss, according to study leader Matthew R. Hayes, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Pennsylvania."

read the rest at

http://health.ivillage.com/di/dinews/0,,wbnews_bvtb08c1,00.html?dst=rss%7Cwb

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shovelqueen

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 06:36:55 PM »

I've just completed Day 2 of a T-Tapp boot camp.  I'm not sure how many days I'll keep it up in a row, before I break down and go for a run, but she suggests 4 days as the minimum.  Right now it's hot and muggy (by central Ontario standards), so exercising in my basement has added appeal.  My muscles are talking to me at the moment - just finished the Total Workout 10 minutes ago.  It's tougher than it looks, when you do it right, and I definitely get hot and sweaty.  I'm planning for a minimum of 5 days in a row, may stretch it to 7.

This is also day 2 of being home entirely alone.  This cooking for only myself really sucks in some ways.  I bought the smallest package of the smallest boneless porkchops and cooked them up for supper in my smallest frying pan.  I still have enough for 3 meals!!  And actually, I would be satisfied with less than a full mini-chop, but if I eat less, I'll be eating the darn things into next week!  I know that singles often cook reasonable quantities and freeze extras for the future, but my family will be back in 3 more days, so that doesn't make sense for me.  What I'm really enjoying is having a big serving of fresh lightly steamed green beans (bought right from the Mennonite farm gate) every single night with no-one complaining about having the same thing too many times. 

God, it feels good to be able to say that I've lost 10 lbs!! :D :D

losing-it

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 08:36:03 PM »

10 pounds and time to oneself at home alone for awhile, to boot. Life is good, there in Ontario, I must say!

shovelqueen

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »

I went to drop some stuff off at our local clothing donation store today, and found a perfect pair of work pants for my next trip to Guatemala - lightweight, light colour, but fairly snug.  I bought them anyways, because I now have total confidence of reaching my goal and the pants being loose and comfy in time for the trip in January.  And the whole store was on half price, so they cost me a mere $3!!  How's that for Shangri-la? 

shovelqueen

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 04:13:07 AM »

Yahoo!! :D :D  I'm squarely on 142 this morning.  Yesterday the scale read 141.5, an amazing drop of 1 lb - amazing because the long awaited drop had just happened the day before, and here was even more!!.  Well today it's at 142, so I have to believe it wasn't a blip, so I've updated my ticker.  I still can't believe how easy this is.  I'm now into seldom charted territory.  On only a very few occasions in the last 20 years have I ever got below 143, and I've never managed to make it stick. 

Completed Day 3 of T-Tapp last night.  I plan to do one more day in a row tonight, then do a long run tomorrow morning. 

Have a good day, all!!

shovelqueen

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »

Significant AS happening here, and not adversely affected by extreme exercise.  I ate a small serving of spagetti last night and cereal this a.m. to "carbo-load" (in a very minor sort of way) for my long run this morning.  I ran 9 miles (14k) without difficulty, and did not need to eat the second I came back in the door.  About an hour later, I had 3 little flat breads with a bit of cheese before going to town for errands.  Lunch was leftover spagetti noodles with the last of those never-ending porkchops sliced into them, EVOO and parmesan cheese.  I was uncomfortably stuffed after that dish, though it was smaller than I previously would have eaten.  I headed off to pick up my son from camp, and didn't eat again for 7 hours!! :shock:  OK, except for 4 frenchfries out of his poutine at about 5:30. :wink:  I was really needing food by the time I got home, but was satisfied with a moderate chicken caesar salad.  I didn't even manage to get my oil in this afternoon, due to being on the road, and so overstuffed from the lunch.  I just had it around 9:15, and I'll wait an hour to brush my teeth.

I can't think of another time - EVER - that I've gone 7 waking hours without food without a blood sugar plummet and raging hunger.  Especially on a long run day!  Pretty amazing!

shovelqueen

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

I just polished off my second bottle of organic canola oil this afternoon.  Got me to thinking that my total financial investment in this diet so far has been ... a whopping 8 bucks!! Plus the cost of the book.  Not bad for a painless weight loss of 11.5 lbs in the past 2 months.  Doing something that I have never been able to do before.  Accomplishing a dream.  Feeling a level of confidence in this weight loss that no other effort has ever given me.  I simply can't see myself ever going back, now that I know the "secret".

Thank you again, Dr. Roberts, for your groundbreaking work, and your willingness to share it with us all. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 140   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18