Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 140   Go Down

Author Topic: Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure  (Read 449471 times)

shovelqueen

Shovelqueen's SLD Adventure
« on: June 24, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »

Hello, all,

I'm a total newby to this forum, and to all forums ever, actually.  It may take me a while to get the gist of all these icons, tickers, acronyms, etc, but here's my story so far:

I'm an (almost) 47 y.o. woman, living in central Canada with husband, two teenage boys and third teenager (my nephew, on exchange from Germany for a year).  Imagine the grocery bills!!  I'm 5'6" tall, started at 153 lbs last month, and was at 150 lbs when I started SLD almost 2 weeks ago.  This morning, I was 146.5, despite having spent yesterday on the road, eating out at restaraunts and at a friend's. My BMI is 24.1, in the healthy range, but my scale indicates 32-33% body fat, way too much (and I can tell you exactly where that extra is sitting, too!) so my ideal weight, to get to 25% body fat is 135 lbs (BMI 21.7)

Two weeks ago, I spent about 1 1/2 hours killing time in a Chapters bookstore in another city, waiting for one of the kid's many activites.  I'm a Registered Dietitian, so I was spending time in the Nutrition section, and found the Shangria La diet book.  Didn't buy it at the time, but I came home, found the website and started reading.  Started oil the next day.  Canola, 1 tbsp am and pm, between meals.  Appetite suppression was almost immediate, though I expect that had more to do with the slight sense of nausea and stomach rolling that was going on.  Sugar and I don't agree (causes bloating and gas pains), so I never really considered the sugar water option.  I've now gone to 2 tbsp of organic (but refined) canola oil in the afternoon, with at least 1 1/2 hour window either side.  My toughest snack time used to be getting home after work, and preparing supper.  Cheese and crax were my usual.  Now I have no desire to eat before supper, and it often interferes with my flavourless time anyways. 

I usually eat pretty well (occupational hazard, you might say), but I have still never been able to get my weight where I want it.  Even with training for and running half marathons, I still have legs that rub together.  I've floated in the same 10 lb range for most of the last 10 years(143-153).  I've of course been familiar with the setpoint theory of weight, but the methods that Seth Roberts has come up with to modify it are revolutionary, and as far as I can tell from self-experimentation so far, they work spectacularly well.  So far, I haven't told anyone of my trial of SDL, but I'm starting to look at those around me and think, "Boy, this could help you so much.  Should I say anything?" 

I hve to be a bit careful what I say and endorse because of being an RD, with a professional licence and a regulatory college.  But this is not a "diet", really, but a method of appetite suppression that is effective, inexpensive and available to the masses.  It's really quite wonderful that, without the "animal" portion of your brain yelling "FEED ME, THIS AND THIS AND THIS, AND NOW!!", then the rational part of your brain can allow for much better choices. 

Each month I set goals for the month.  Most months include a weight loss goal ("Get to 145 lbs."), and I never get there.  At the beginning of June, before I had ever heard of SLD, I wrote "Get weight to 145 lbs by my birthday", and guess what?  I'm going to get there!  What a birthday present for myself!  And that's just the start - that last 10 lbs is finally going the way of the dodo, too. 

I look forward to being part of the supportive community in this forum.  I've enjoyed you already, in the hours I've spent lurking in the past 2 weeks. 

BTW, re my username:  I travel to Guatemala or Honduras every year or two with a development organization to work with those in poverty.  I have earned the name Shovelqueen by my ability to make cement and mortar, by hand, using only a shovel, all day for days at a time.  Good exercise!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 02:34:59 PM by shovelqueen »

"Strength, balance, joy!"

losing-it

Re: Shovelqueen's SDL Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »

Welcome to Shangri-La Shovelqueen. I'm so relieved that your screen name didn't refer to eating habits!  :shock: :oops: I'm about 9 years older than you with the same height and goal weight. SLD been good to me.

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum and SLD Shovelqueen !  We're always happy to see new members.... but WOW a Registered Dietitian as well!!  Please please don't hold back in imparting your knowledge and wisdom,  I for one will welcome your professional opinion. 

We in turn will reward you with our own very personal theories and unsubstantiated but firmly held beliefs, but hey, that's life!!  :D

shovelqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:26:06 AM »

We in turn will reward you with our own very personal theories and unsubstantiated but firmly held beliefs, but hey, that's life!! 

Thanks for the welcomes.  I'm pretty open-minded for an RD, trying for that "integrative" mindset in my practice and personal life. 

I'm really impressed with the AS that I've been feeling.  Yesterday, I baked 10 dozen jumbo cookies for a fundraiser tomorrow, and didn't eat even one bite of the batter or the baked cookies.  My best, most favourite recipes, too!  Unheardof!!  I'm famous for my cookie-dough habit, but yesterday, I just didn't need it, and could even portion out the cookies by hand, then just wash my hands without even putting my fingers in my mouth.  Nary a taste.  I often find them too sweet for me anyways, but yesterday the sweetness of Choc chip or gingersnaps was going to be way too much. 

These forums are addictive, and I was reading them as I waited for batches of cookies to bake last night until almost 1 a.m. (I'm on holidays this week, so I could stay up late!)  I've got the book now, but haven't managed to read more than the first few pages, because I spend so much time reading these posts. 

One professional opinion I wanted to share, based on what I've been reading here.  For the daily weighers (of which I am one, I wll admit), it's important to remember that the scale weight is a pretty crude figure, being a total of everything in and on your body.  Bone, muscle, fat, stomach contents, bowel contents, bladder contents, interstitial fluid (the fluid around your cells), possibly clothing.  Even if you are the most consistant person in the world, weighing every morning, no clothes, empty bladder, there can still be weight fluctuations due to something as simple as a 20 calorie salty cracker at bedtime the night before causing a bit of additional fluid retention.  It's not fat, so don't beat yourselves up about those fluctuations.  Also, over the day, the body fluctuates by up to 3-4 lbs.  I can reliably lose 1 1/2-2 lbs overnight, just by urination and breathing out fluid all night.  Again, it's not fat, and that's really the only part of our body composition that we really want to change.

Most of the folks I've been following here are doing an amazing job of moving their body weight slowly and steadily downward.  You guys are inspirational!  I've decided to come "out of the closet" re the SLD and send this site to my best friend. 

Magpie

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »

I've decided to come "out of the closet" re the SLD

Ha Shovelqueen, that's it then... . you are now one of US!!  A fully fledged convert and SLD evangelist!!  Only joking, but yes, it is so wonderful that you do want to tell everyone!

It is exciting that you have joined the forum, especially with your background as a dietitian, and your comments about weighing oneself are exactly what I mean.  That partly helps explain why so many of us get such wildly fluctuating figures.  Hormones and TOM no doubt play a part too.  Frenata posted her tracking chart which was over 12 months and it looks like a wild roller coaster with several plateaux along the way, but the trend was downward. 

You may find that the degree of AS you feel fluctuates too, and your feelings towards food and AS will change too.  It's interesting to speculate whether that relates to ones set point, or something else.  We are all labs rats here, but with so many variables and personal differences it is hard to pinpoint exactly what is going on sometimes.

It's good to hear SLD working so well for you!  I baked too on the weekend, and wasn't quite as disciplined as you - the brownies were irresistible - but I only had a small amount, and could stop, and that alone is worth celebrating.

Oh, and just a little posting lesson.....you can quote someone's post in it's entirety by hitting Insert Quote for that post, or highlight and copy as you did.  If you highlight and copy just a line, try adding colour by highlighting the quote again and then go to change colour and pick a colour for that quote - makes it easier to read.  This is my first forum too, and I'm still learning some of the technical tricks as I go.

shovelqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »

Thanks for the tips on posting.  I'm really green at this.  I did hit the quote button, deleted what I didn't want, and figured that the program would add the colour, like everybody else's.  Oh, well, live and learn. 

Had my second nausea reaction to the oil today.  I'm now 2 weeks in, and have switched to taking 2 tbsp of organic canola oil in mid afternoon.  Today, lunch was really light, just leftover grilled veggies from last night (zukes and red peppers, nothing with significant carbs), and one of the gadzillion cookies I baked last night.  (The first, and probably only - it just didn't meet a need today!)  The oil really left me feeling lousy for about an hour, good thing I'm on holidays and not having to do any more work than just bake even more cookies for tomorrow.  After about an hour and half window, I ate about 1/4 cup of fat-free vanilla yogurt (didn't realize how sweet it was before!), and then sat down with Seth's book for a bit.  Feeling better now, and the cookies are back underway.  Interesting that it's 6 p.m. here, and I'm really not at all interested in making dinner, just not hungry.  I'll likely be accosted by the ravenous teenaged son soon, so I'd better get myself out of Shangri-La long enough to feed him, and me too, I guess.  Isn't food apathy great? :)

Magpie

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »

Hey Shovelqueen, you are doing very well for a newby!! 

And hang in there, it can be difficult for your body to adjust to the oil hit, many people start with a smaller dose and build up.  I dived in head first, typical of me, and yes it was a bit yuck at first.  It still is some days, and I got so icky with ELOO at one point that I switched oils for a while, which helped. 

Just curious, why Canola oil and not ELOO?  I'm asking the Dietitian please?! :)

Also, where in Ontar-i-ar-i-ar-i-o are you?  My family lives in 'TO', (I live in Sydney Australia now).

It's taken me some time to adjust to food apathy, it was like losing a much loved boyfriend, but I know it's for the better, and I'm quite peaceful with it all.  The food lust is still there, it just feels like it's covered by a thick blanket - or like looking at it through a blurry window - but at least it no longer controls ME!

shovelqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 04:05:37 PM »

Canola oil just happened to be what I had in the house when I decided to start.  I always have Extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing and cooking, where I want the flavour, and canola for baking.  I'm fairly sceptical of genetically modified foods and chemicals used on crops, so as soon as I could, I got myself a bottle of organic canola.  More expensive, but if I'm putting this much of something into my body, I want it to be good for me.  I find it easy to take, tasteless.  It's really high in mono-unsaturates.  I bought a bottle of flax oil with algea-derived DHA(the fish oil) added, but I find the flavour really strong, even plugging my nose (I haven't got clips yet.)  Besides, I prefer to use the whole ground flax instead as an omega 3 source, because of all the other health benefits - anti cancer, high fibre, etc.

I live 3 hours north of Toronto, on the shore of Georgian Bay.  On a map, look for the Great Lakes - Georgian Bay is the giant bump off the side of Lake Huron.  The separating land is the Bruce Penninsula - that's me.  Cottage country - but we're lucky to live here year-round, looking out at the water.

Magpie

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 04:29:34 PM »

Friends and I drove up to Tobermory in the fall when I was in my early twenties - I still remember the trip and the fall colours vividly - what a fantastic, beautiful area!  Lucky you!  And my best friend  lives at Meaford and works in Collingwood.  It's a small world!

But back to SLD....yes Extra Virgin Oilive Oil  (EVOO) is too flavourful for this - you need the flavourlessness obviously!  It's been interesting to see how different people react to the different oils BTW.  Some found Canola made them depressed, and I tried Coconut oil for about two weeks and was wide awake at 3am every morning, but as I said earlier, I had gotten to a point where I just couldn't face the ELOO and had to switch as quitting was not an option.  Several pepole have reported the flax is tricky due to it's strong flavour.

It's a matter of trying till you find what suits you and being flexible to change if needed, I think.

Funny enough I've been doing half ELOO half CO or Macadamia Nut oil, and my weight has shifted downward after weeks of nothing.  Coincidence or causal?

fitnessfreak

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 04:46:42 PM »

I want to say welcome. Good luck telling people about this. It's not common for others to get excited and get on the bandwagon for some reason.

Vronnie

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »

Hi shovelqueen welcome to the forum & the beautiful, peaceful world of Shangri La

shovelqueen

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »

Canola oil and depression?  I searched it and got one reference to that in Xzine's(sp?) posts from this spring.  Are there more experiences out there?  Would someone be able to point me at a thread about this?

I'm sure not the depression-prone type.  Notorious for seeing the silver lining in things. and I like it that way. :D

Magpie

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 08:04:49 PM »

Ooops, that wasn't meant to worry you, just to point out that we are all quite individual in our response to the different oils.  As I said, some are taking CO and VERY happy with it, while it seemed to keep me from sleeping.   I'm still using it, but together with ELOO.  I'm not sure if there was a specific thread about canola, but if you type it into 'Search' that should give you paths to others experience. 
Notorious for seeing the silver lining in things. and I like it that way.
That's a good way to be!  The Dali Lama would approve!! :)

shovelqueen

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 01:44:09 PM »

Weight continues to drop slowly.  I'm now officially over 2 weeks, and 4 lbs gone since starting SLD, and 7 lbs overall since June 1.  Pants are looser.  AS has been great, no further nausea episodes in the last few days.  Still swigging 2 tbsp canola in mid afternoon, with minimum 1.5 hours flavour free either side.  Those 4 lbs, from 150 to 146 have been unbudgable for a LONG time - this is GREAT!!  I'm at 146 this morning, and 6 days to go to my birthday and my goal of 145.  I'm feeling like I'll get there and maybe even surpass it - Wa-Hoo!!! :D

Find I'm eating lower carb, even though I don't plan to.  Had croutons on a chix caesar salad for lunch as only carbs, but I'm having spagetti for supper tonight, because I want to run 10K this evening, and trying to do that on low or no carbs ain't pretty! 

shovelqueen

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:32 AM »

Yippeeee!!!  I saw the 145 number on my scale this morning!!!  OK, so it had an additional .5 behind it, but it was still 145!  I haven't seen that number for almost 2 years.  I managed to get to 145 just before a family trip to Europe 2 summers ago.  Of course, it was back up to 148 by the time I got home 2 weeks later.  If I lived in the land of heavenly and cheap cheese (I'm taking about Germany here), I think I'd weight 300 lbs!! 

Anyways, the first goal remains 145 or below by my birthday next Tuesday.  I'll be there, with bells on!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 140   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18