Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Are you using a real tablespoon?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you using a real tablespoon?  (Read 46272 times)

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
Are you using a real tablespoon?
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:26:41 PM »

When you are first starting the diet be sure to measure out your tablespoons using an actual measuring spoon, not a spoon from your silverware drawer.  In the US a tablespoon is roughly 15 milliliters.  This is the measurement Seth uses:
http://www.google.com/search?q=1+US+tbsp+in+ml

Additionally, the tablespoon measurement varies by country.  In the UK a tablespoon is approximately 18ml.  You will need to alter your dosages based on ml or calories not on tablespoons:
http://www.google.com/search?q=1+UK+tbsp+in+ml

Generally, a tablespoon of oil will have 120 calories.  A tablespoon of sugar will have 45 calories.  The number of calories is the important point, not the volume of oil or sugar.

If you are planning to use sugar packets to get your tablespoon be sure to read the packet to know how many to use.  Some packets are 3 to a tablespoon some are 4 to a tablespoon.

There are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon.  A teaspoon of oil will have 40 calories.  A teaspoon of sugar will have 15 calories:
http://www.google.com/search?q=1+US+tbsp+in+tsp
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 11:11:19 PM by Will »
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

WheatenDad

Re: Are you using a real tablespoon?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »

I use a graduated shot glass that I purchased from a local store, Bed Bath & Beyond. It is calibrated in tablespoons, teaspoons, milliliters, etc. It is perfect for measuring and drinking my dose of ELOO.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »

I use a graduated shot glass that I purchased from a local store, Bed Bath & Beyond. It is calibrated in tablespoons, teaspoons, milliliters, etc. It is perfect for measuring and drinking my dose of ELOO.

Glad to know they sell them.  I should have thought of that when I was looking for one.

arvind

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:23:57 AM »

Thanks Will,
I was using wrong spoon thinking that is a tablespoon.
When I  have measured the oil in ml, it came out lot lesser than I thought(nearly half) :).
This might be one of the reason few  people are not getting results. anyway, I have corrected it at very early stage.

creaky

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:05:05 PM »

Also drug stores have medicine measuring 'spoons' that are marked in tablespoons and milliliters.  I found  it at Rite Aid near the pill boxes.

Once I saw what a tablespoon was in the shot glass, I pour to about that line and mix with water and swallow it all.

Christy K.

klwil3

• Kay
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:23:43 PM »

OXO sells a measuring cup that is 4 TBSP.  It is tiny and perfect for the oil/sw float.  You can get it at target, linens 'n things, etc.  It's like $4 for one or $10 for 3.  I wish I had more because I'm washing it every day!

zerimar

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »

I agre. I have that OXO mini measure and think it's perfect.  (I mentioned it in other posts too.)
It holds up to 4 Tbls, and you can observe the measurement from above while pouring.  I found a second one at a garage sale, and 2 is great because it gets used so much. 

(I have no affiliation with OXO or any kitchen business! :))     Z.

I started June 1, 2006

Page

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 04:40:07 AM »

Hey, my first post!  :D

No one had mentioned this, which I think is a simple way to measure.  If you want to measure out two tablespoons of oil, just use the 1/8 C. measure in your measuring cup set, which equals 2 T. 

Caroline

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 04:56:39 AM »

No one had mentioned this, which I think is a simple way to measure.  If you want to measure out two tablespoons of oil, just use the 1/8 C. measure in your measuring cup set, which equals 2 T. 

Hey, that's right. Isn't the 1/8 cup measure also what they recommend for a coffee scoop? Which implies you could use a coffee scoop, too.

The measuring scoop that comes with Designer Whey (which I use in my smoothies) is the perfect size for two tablespoons of oil floated on a bit of water, with a dollop of lecithin (does the lecithin help? I have no idea. I bought it, I'm using it).
Running weight tally:

zerimar

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »

Frenata! You're at the half way mark, yahooo!

I've been eyeing those coffee measures and noticed they don't identify the amount per scoop, and they look about right.   Yesterday I saw one at a store that claimed to measure 1.5 tbls.  Could that be a standard thing?

I still like my OXO mini measure best.   It's very easy to read, even without my glasses.  I now have a collection of shot glasses, measuring spoons, etc. I noticed that those small jars used for single servings of jam, (jelly, honey, etc.--) hold 2 tlbs, and don't leak.  

Z.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:54:02 PM by zerimar »

I started June 1, 2006

Marianna

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 06:20:49 PM »

if I am going somewhere, I measure my two tbs into a cleaned out babyfood jar--add a little water and fructose--when I am ready for it, shake and swallow--very convenient size--

garfysmom

• Love me, love my cat (Garfy)
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »

I started mixing my oil and water in a small Starbucks Frappucino bottle.  I keep a couple of them ready with both the oil and water, and when I need them, just shake and drink.  I use a shot glass from my friend's bar and it comes out to about 2T per shot glass.  I then add about 1.4 cup of water, replace the top, shake and go.  Just that easy.

Plus, they are glass, and very washable, and easily replaced, if you have friends who drink the frappucinos, on a moments notice.

Wishing  us all the best in our endeavor to jetison some of this extra weight hanging around, because remember if you only lose something, that implies that you are going to try to look for it at a later time.  I don't think any of us wants that...... 8)

Not losing weight - that means I am looking to find it later... and I'm not looking...;-)

chrispe

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »

I am just learning about "how to be in Shangri-La" and I wanted to understand why some folks take 2T of oil at a time.  [Did I understand them correctly?]  Also, do you just drink a little sugar water after the oil so as not to infuse so much sugar into your system all at once.

Also, why would you take the oil or sugar before going to bed when you are not awake to "enjoy" the benefits of the appetite suppressant?

I apologize if I am going over something that has already been clarified - just kinda tired.

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 03:57:42 PM »

I apologize if I am going over something that has already been clarified - just kinda tired.

Nah, we don't mind answering the questions again.

There isn't very much relationship between when you take your oil and the appetite suppression. It's not like "take it at 10 so you won't be hungry at 12", it's more like "take it on the 4th so you won't be hungry on the 5th" or even "take it in June so you won't be hungry in July". So taking a day's dose all at once is easier for many.

Sugar is strictly optional. People who take it with oil are doing so to reduce the essential disgustingness of drinking cooking oil. Most people just chug the stuff.

Welcome!
Running weight tally:

MASHaholic

• "The mind is a powerful tool if allowed to be..."
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:53:44 PM »

Wow... I fell into the same trap with the silverware drawer.. Thanks for the tip!
Start Date 02/22/07 Male 41 years old 6'2" 270 lbs

One Day at a Time...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18