Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
five days in

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: five days in  (Read 3183 times)

juliebjorn

five days in
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:37:05 AM »

Let me start by saying I can't believe I'm even posting. I'm one of those who reads a lot, but rarely feel I can add to an online conversation in any meaningful way. Since last Wednesday, when I first heard about this, I have been brimming with a hope that even now I don't like to talk (in real life) about, for fear of jinxing myself (silly, I know, but until I have proof that it works for me, I'd rather keep quiet). Yet here I am, at 4 in the morning, wide awake and hungry but uninterested in eating for the first time in recent memory. My brain feels like it will burst if I don't share my story, mundane though it is, so here I am.

My set point, for the last few years, has hovered around 192 pounds. I am female, 30 years old, 5'9" and just a couple of weeks ago had resigned myself to weighing that much forever. In October of '01, after a move and a new job for my husband, I joined a gym and started working out with a personal trainer. That first year I went from 220 down to 180, mostly through exercise but also by counting calories. I was elated - it seemed easy for me to lose weight. Within the next two years, however, I regained between 15 and 20 pounds. Still working with my trainer, three days per week, and knowing how I lost the weight before, I could not repeat the results from that first year. For the past year, I have been almost obsessively counting calories using an online fitness site that also measures calories burned through exercise. According to my charts, I burned an average of 300 to 500 calories per day more than I ate - for a year. Net weight loss: o pounds. At the gym, I have been asked If I was training to join the army. My fitness - as defined by how strong I am - is great for a woman. I just also happen to be pudgy. Having seen no results in a year, I decided several weeks ago to stop counting. My weight didn't seem to change, but at least it wasn't dominating my life either. I had just decided to be a big girl.

Knowing my family history - three generations of diabetics before me, two of whom lost both legs to the disease, I worry about becoming obsessed with food and ultimately repeating (or doing the opposite of, though just as dangerous) the mistakes of my mother, grandmother, and great-grandfather. Watching a program on Lifetime recently, I saw a woman who would binge over 3,000 calories a day, then spend hours at the gym working it off. She was bulimic. I realized that I had been close to becoming just like her. I was glad I decided to stop that routine. I now work out twice a week with my trainer, and am swimming in the evenings with my husband. I had stopped hoping to be smaller - I just want to be healthy.

Still with me?

So last Wednesday, I saw Dr. Helen's link to the podcast. I read the comments, read the calorielab article, and read a couple of (unconvincing) articles arguing against this method. On Thursday, I bought the book and a bottle of canola oil. And here I am. I don't know my starting weight, and probably won't weigh myself because I don't have a reliable scale (though I will note changes in dress size - I'm currently 14/16ish). For the last two days, I have been happy with less food  than I have been able to tolerate for the past year. When I woke up at 3:00 this morning with hunger pangs, much as Stephen M. experienced, I didn't want to eat anything (though I did have a tablespoon of oil - much less hungry now). I had my usual workout yesterday morning, with no noticeable lack of energy. I can feel a tightness in my body that I felt the first time I lost weight - only more so. I am very hopeful for the future.

juliebjorn

Re: five days in
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 04:51:56 AM »

I'd just like to add a thought that occurred to me today. If this really is the "magic bullet" so many of us have longed for all these years; if eating some flavorless calories a couple of times a day is really all it takes to ultimtely weigh exactly what you want to weigh; how long will it be until we see a major shift in the way people see themselves in this country? Perhaps it's too early to speculate on these things - the book's only been out a month, after all - but what if, after a few years, this method becomes the common wisdom, simply because it works? Will supermodels still look anorexic (When almost everyone can be skinny, will the emphasis shift to a more classical definition of beauty)? How long will it take Coke to market flavorless fructose water? And will the diet food aisle in the grocery store have a hundred different types of flavorless calorie bars/gels/pods/etc? Or, conversely, will there be a major backlash - hordes of special-interest scientists decrying the health risks of sugar water and ELOO (when we all know how great soda and junk food are for our health)? Will the price of (vegetable)oil go through the roof?

It will be very interesting to watch it all unfold...

Melissa

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:44:41 AM »

Hi Julie,
I'm glad you posted, I can relate to your story.  In the last few years I have noticed that no matter what I do I can't lose weight.  The best I did was on Weight Watchers but I lost incredibly slowly,  It had gotten to the point where I went to my doctor to find out if something was wrong.  They tested my blood but could find anything ( like a thyroid problem).  I count every calorie and run 5 days a week yet I still weighed 187 pounds (I'm 5'6" and 31 years old).  I just wanted to cry.  My doctor said she has met people over the years that no matter what they do they can't lose weight and she can't explain why.  I was starting to think like you...maybe I should just accept my size.  But I have trouble doing that.  I am single and really want to find someone to share my life with.  It is much harder to meet men when you wear a size 16. 

Anyway, I was so excited when I read about this diet.  I have lost 3.5 pounds so far (in two weeks).  Which for me is incredibly fast.  I hope I keep seeing results.  I hope this works for you.  I understand your struggle.  Good luck!!  May the pounds drop off!!

Tansy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »

Julie and Melissa,

I can really relate to both of you.  I am a 57 year old female that read about the diet on InstaPundent two weeks ago.  I researched it on-line and then ordered the book.  I am 5 ft 2 and my setpoint has been about 205 lbs for the last 5 years or so.  I did WW and Atkins off an on over the years, but after losing 10 to 15 lbs, I would return to "eating normally for me" and gain it all back.  I walk at least a half hour a day, and two years ago I joined Curves, and go there three times a week, but there was minimal weight loss.

I did lose 12 lbs about six weeks ago, following a diet that listed everything you should eat, using 4 small meals a day, but stopped losing as soon as I got used to the diet.

I started taking 2 tbs of oil twice a day on May 7th.  I weighed 195.5 then.  It did take 2 weeks for me to notice a dramatic loss of appetite, but I did reach that this last weekend.  This morning I weighed 192 and I am starting to be a believer instead of just hoping it would work.  I am speculating that it took the 2 weeks to move my set point down from the 205.

Good luck to both of you.

Judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18