Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?  (Read 36987 times)

chronicler

• Food Chronicles
Re: Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 08:03:24 PM »

John, your wieght is about the same in ratio to my husband's when he started this program/lifechage. He is doing oil. I am doing water. He feels the need to do larger amounts of oil than just the tablespoon. With so much to lose, he needs the boost. He has three Tablesppons twice a day. He has been encountering some nausea, but still says it is worth it as he has no appetite and is able to control his intake much easier. He has been doing this for three weeks and has already notched his belt down a hole.

Keep trying, and experiment with a bit more oil is my best advice. That may assist in the hungry feeling after an hour.
"food is not only my life, it's my living"

Friarjohn

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 08:05:41 PM »

In addition to the oil, have you tried adding new flavors? I keep several spice mixes in my drawer at the office and just sprinkle them on in various mixtures to try new flavors. It didnīt draw much attention from coworkers either.

I just started. I'll try working the other techniques into my routines as I go.

Friarjohn

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 08:14:07 PM »

John, your wieght is about the same in ratio to my husband's when he started this program/lifechage. He is doing oil. I am doing water. He feels the need to do larger amounts of oil than just the tablespoon. With so much to lose, he needs the boost. He has three Tablesppons twice a day. He has been encountering some nausea, but still says it is worth it as he has no appetite and is able to control his intake much easier. He has been doing this for three weeks and has already notched his belt down a hole.

Keep trying, and experiment with a bit more oil is my best advice. That may assist in the hungry feeling after an hour.

What are the caveats for going over 400 calories per day, according to Seth? I don't recall anything specific. Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

If anything I was hungrier all morning. But I managed to eat a smaller lunch than usual. Also I was over at my buddy's house returning his lawnmower and his wife had picked up some chicken. I hadn't had dinner yet so I dived in. Normally I could polish off half a chicken without even thinking. It was all I could do to eat two pieces (thighs). My appetite was down but I also felt a little bloated pretty quickly. I felt the same way this morning after breakfast (well, technically the oil broke my fast, but I'm referring to the bagel an hour later).

Heck, maybe it is working already.

JPR

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »

How do you regulate the amount with a squirt bottle?

I'm also curious about this. I like the idea of anything that diminishes the ickyness factor. I have been doing pretty well with an ounce of canola, poured as far back in my mouth as I can manage, followed by a cup or half-cup of water. No detectable taste, but I still get that unpleasant mouth feel.

I have found that mixing a tablespoon of ELOO with about 3 to 4 ounces of warm water makes it much more palatable for me. I chug it down in one gulp and chase it with another 2 to 3 ounces of warm water.

Been on the SLD for about 2 weeks down 10 lbs. 60 to go. This is working for me and I am an SLD evangelist among my friends, family, and clients.

Friarjohn

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »

The shot worked pretty well this morning, but I'm far from done experimenting. And isn't (self) experimenting what Seth is all about? It cracks me up reading through these forums how some people are whining about it not working but they're not willing to try it from a different angle.

chronicler

• Food Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 10:14:35 PM »

John, Seth says to stay below the 480 threshhold. However, in my opinion, when you have so much to lose, the 480 is a moving target. The process by hwich you gained all the weight was far and above the 480 so to take a bit extra at your wieght might be the key. The ratio for my 6'4" 400+ lbs husband is going well.
"food is not only my life, it's my living"

catwoman

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 03:54:17 PM »

The squirt bottle theory.  I marked my on the outside of the soft plastic bottle - in TBSP" markings............and quite rapidly you learn how hard and long to squeeze the bottle to achive your optimal dose.  Then a chaser of H2O.  I drink much, much water so ALWAYS have a bottle within reach.

Friarjohn

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 07:20:44 PM »

Something's happening...

It's not that my appetite is going down necessarily, it's that after I eat about 1/3-1/2 what I'm used to, I start feeling bloated and I'm "discouraged" from eating any more. Believe me I WANT to eat more but I already feel full. This afternoon I started feeling snackish so I reached for a half-handful of lightly salted cashews. That was plenty.

This is frightening(ly effective). It's certainly enough to keep me going since I'm incredibly curious what's going to happen next!

Denise

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »

Shangri-La, John.

The whole new way of seeing food - I imagine it's like a thin person sees food - is so freeing.  I had Chinese take-out today and usually I wouldn't eat all the rice, but this time I ate about two small forkfulls of it and only half the mongolian beef which they don't give much of anyways.  Then I was just done.  So incredible.

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 10:55:03 PM »

Friarjohn -
What are the caveats for going over 400 calories per day, according to Seth? I don't recall anything specific. Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

My understanding is that the upper bound of 400 calories comes from the belief that you shouldn't take in more than 20% of your daily calories from flavorless calorie sources.  If you have a reduced appetite (as you should when the diet is working) most people won't be eating much more than 2000 calories a day.  Maybe much less.  20% of 2000 calories is 400 calories so that is the recommendation.  If you are for whatever reason (very large/heavy, body builder, triathelete, etc..) eating over 2000 calories then it is probably ok to use more than 400 from a flavorless source. 

My understanding is that this rule is primarily to ensure that you actually eat some real food with vital nutrients(and protein) in it rather than just drinking 1000 calories of oil a day. 

Having said that, I have occasionally gone over this amount myself, although I have never gone over 500.  I am 6' 2" and weigh just under 300 lbs (having lost ~4-5 pounds on the diet in the last 3-4 weeks) and eating 2500 calories a day would not be strange for a person my size even on a reduced appetite.  Theoretically, my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is around 2600 calories.  That suggests that even without any exercise I would need to eat 2600 calories a day to maintain my weight.  I am eating less than that most days, forcing my body to use stored energy.

http://health.discovery.com/tools/calculators/basal/basal.html
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

mary

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 10:30:45 PM »

When you get really really hungry, you might want to try drinking a glass of water. Warm water seems to satisfy me usually. I dont drink ice water, (bad for digestion) I drink it room temperature, but sometimes a glass of warm water just seems to quench my appetite too... I read somewhere, that sometimes what we mistake for hunger is really thirst..... So in that time frame when you are feeling the most hungry try drinking water....

Denise

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 10:37:48 AM »

Mary, that's another thing about this thing that is strange.  I find that some water hightens the full feeling.  I never found that with any other diet.  Water wouldn't fill me up, no matter if I chugged gallons.  A stomach full of water wouldn't signal my hunger off.  But on this thing, water does help.

Cheryl B

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:32 AM »

I started this on Thursday (It's now Sunday). I did 3 Tblsp. and noticed the effect of not being hungry almost right away. Another 3 the next morning and it was like a miracle. I'm usually VERY hungry in the morning but my appetite was just gone. Same thing Saturday and today. I also took a little more later in the day and that seems to be working well. I'm using canola. The first time was the hardest. Now I just do it in 3 shots and it's over. Good luck all!

random

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 04:36:37 PM »

The body probably has multiple ways to perceive "fullness". SLD changes the perception of food calories but doesn't change the perception of food volume (the space it takes up in the digestive tract). So, water may trigger the "full stomach" feeling to go with the "full calories" feeling from SLD.

Denise

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 12:20:43 AM »

Perhaps, Random.  But whatever the mechanism, I think water helps.  And water never helped me on any other diet, ever.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18