Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?  (Read 40218 times)

Friarjohn

Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »

I haven't started SLD yet. I'm about 2/3rds through the book. In all of the examples/testimonials I've read I've only seen people starting out around 250-275. I understand the max calorie intake for oil or SW is 400 calories per day, regardless of weight. I'll admit I'm skeptical but I'm willing to give it a try. Seems like some sort of wacky placebo effect or something. I picked up a bottle of ELOO last night at the grocery store.

Anyway, I'm bouncing between 340 and 350 at 5'9" (with a host of related health issues). Is there anything I should be aware of or cautious about? Any caveats, stories or advise beyond the book? I've been skimming through these forums and haven't noticed anything specifically related to someone my size. I would be ecstatic to lose around 100 pounds (best way to make my motorcycle go faster  :D).

TIA,

John

Denise

Re: Morbidly Obese... Effectiveness?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:51 PM »

In my opinion, don't do sugar, at all.  Do oil.

I can't help but think this would work great for you, since your set point is so high.  And lowering it is part of this.  (This what, diet?  No, theory?  Um, thingie?  It's officially a thingie.  But saying that Seth's thingie made me lose weight would sound obscene.)

Anyways, give it a shot and let us know.  It sure can't hurt.  You can play around with the amount of oil to see what works.  5'8, female, 213 starting weight, 2T once a day worked great.  You may need more as a percentage of your calories.  You could start out small and just up it until you feel it.  Believe me, you'll know it when you feel it.

It's totally not placebo.  You can't placebo this feeling.  If you could, everyone would be thin by placebo.

Friarjohn

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:53:24 PM »

I've already decided against the SW. I'm slightly reactive hypoglycemic (which is odd, I should be hyperglycemic, diabetic, like everyone else in my family).  If I ate again right after the fast, an hour after the SW, I might not crash as hard. My blood sugar usually hits rock bottom an hour-and-a-half after a large dose of sugar with no protein or complex carbs.

Yeah, let's steer clear of Seth's thingey. Though I do have trouble calling it a diet. Oh well, as long as it works.

I'm thinking of starting out with 200 calories first thing in the morning since I'm usually on the computer for an hour in the morning before I have my coffee, and another 200 calories just before bed. That will save me having to deal with taking oil during the day and the inevitable explanations to my nosy coworkers.

Thanks,

John

Denise

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:00:08 PM »

No matter what happens, John, please promise us that you will come here and post about it.  I've felt this feeling before, with low-carbing, but it was sacrifice and people staring at me for going bunless.  I really, truly, from my heart, want everyone to feel this control, so it would help to share your experiences, good or bad, helpful tweaks, etc.

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 10:29:31 PM »

John, do you typically eat a lot of calories everyday?  Do you typically eat the ditto foods that Seth mentions?   Do you cook much?  Are you an emotional or compulsive eater?  The answers to these questions can be of some help in analyzing how well the diet will work for you. 

Best of luck John.
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Friarjohn

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:05:04 PM »

Well, I tried my first water and oil intake. Icky. I used cold, filtered water from a bottle in the fridge. Made the oil coagulate. I choked it down anyway. Quite a bit of residue on my lips. Not a very auspicious beginning. I did about 1.5 tbsp (180cal) in a half-glass of water, using the guidelines I found on this site. I think I'll be better off slamming a shot of room-temperature oil with a cold water chaser.

Will, if anything I'm a bored eater. The office is particularly dangerous with all the cookies and donuts and such. In the past year I've almost completely cut out softdrinks (I only use 7up for mixed drinks on the rare occasion I indulge in an adult beverage). I've decaffeinated and cut out a lot of salt (Drs. orders).  I've cut my mochas down from 7-10 a week to 2-3. I've cut out almost all fried foods. I used to eat nothing but fast food. I've started cooking dinners at home and eating breakfast at home. I'm eating more salads and fruit. I've probably gone from 3 or 4 thousand calories a day to 2-2.5 thousand (I'd like to cut that in half again). One thing that helped was going to the fast food restaurant web sites and looking at their nutritional info. Holy...!!! Even with these changes, I'm still not losing much weight, and I blame that mostly on lack of exercise.

Mostly I started making these changes to save money, but it doesn't hurt that it's helping my health. I do have a little more energy but my body just doesn't want to cooperate. I've tried Atkins, I've tried carb counting, calorie counting, though I've stayed away from the vast majority of fad diets. Just a few weeks ago I was researching hoodia and decided against. I was also thinking about trying Nutrisystems. I'm wary of everything out there but there is just an overwhelming amount of positive feedback for SLD so what the heck. It's not going to make things worse, right?  :)

Thanks,

John

Denise

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 12:05:13 AM »

It's not going to make things worse, right?
Not only that, it's free so why not?

One thing that helped was going to the fast food restaurant web sites and looking at their nutritional info. Holy...!!!
I don't believe their calorie counts.  They must sponge off all the oil before testing, because some of the fast food I have is dripping in oil and they say 500 calories?  Not.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:11:23 AM by Denise »

catwoman

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 03:04:24 AM »

From reading your trials at so many different approaches to weight loss, it appears your problem really is "set point" and with that understood, this plan should really be beneficial for you.  I use grapeseed in a squirt bottle-straight to the back of the throat and chase with cold water.  Very little taste.

Yes, John, do keep us posted.  I wish you well...................hang in there.  It really works.

Friarjohn

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 06:33:25 AM »

How do you regulate the amount with a squirt bottle?

I did a shot (about 1.5 tbsp) this morning with a water chaser. It was like a shot of snot, but it was WAY better than last night. Both times I felt (still feel as I write this) suddenly very hungry after the oil. Ideally that will change soon.

Denise, that's the thing about the fast food nutrition charts, even assuming they're correct, they're horrible. I fully believe they're fudging the numbers, but still, it's pretty bad. I'm pretty much down to salads from Wendy's with unsweetened ice tea. I know I should be taking my lunch.

Will Ware

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:21:00 AM »

How do you regulate the amount with a squirt bottle?

I'm also curious about this. I like the idea of anything that diminishes the ickyness factor. I have been doing pretty well with an ounce of canola, poured as far back in my mouth as I can manage, followed by a cup or half-cup of water. No detectable taste, but I still get that unpleasant mouth feel.

Friarjohn

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:51:39 AM »

Brief update: I waited an hour after taking the oil this morning. During that hour my stomach felt a little queezey but when that passed I was starving. After the fast I had a bagel and coffee. My stomach is confused. It bounces moment to moment between mild hunger and serious peckishness. I wouldn't be surprised if I was one of those people for whom it takes weeks for the appetite supression to kick in. I brought a banana and yogurt in to the office for a snack but I'm trying to wait and see what my stomach will do.

kindall

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »

You may be having the same difficulty I have, Friarjohn. My stomach (or brain, or something) sometimes has trouble distinguishing between upset and hunger, such that when I eat something that disagrees with me for whatever reason, I feel hungry again shortly afterward. I find that, if a sudden hunger pang strikes, if I can distract myself for a few minutes often it goes away... so maybe it wasn't really hunger, maybe it was just my stomach complaining about something. Since I started paying closer attention to my stomach, I've noticed a distinct difference in "feel" between (say) a post-heavy-carb pang and real hunger. The real thing feels "deeper" somehow. The others feel urgent, but more superficial. It's hard to explain, especially because you can make them both go away (temporarily) by eating, but maybe you'll notice the difference too. If the distraction trick doesn't work, I find a small amount of something satiating often works to quell the fake pangs without eating a whole meal. (I sometimes use a spoonful of peanut butter -- since it has fat, carbs, and protein it is fairly satisfying in this small amount.)

Also, if you're used to eating big meals, you're probably going to feel empty for a while until your stomach adjusts to smaller meals. This is not a SLD thing; for me it applies any time I'm trying to eat less. You could wait it out, but I find that occasional small but calorie-dense snacks (a handful of nuts, an ounce of cheese) help manage it in the short term. You'd phase out the snacks out once your stomach shrinks up a bit and the appetite reduction effect of the SLD kicks in. Until it does, though, you shouldn't necessarily be trying to "force" things by eating fewer calories, IMHO. You'll naturally do that if/when the SLD starts working for you. So eat when you're hungry, and if you want to try to get used to smalller meals, then try a larger number of small meals/snacks instead of a few big meals.

Friarjohn

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 09:49:19 AM »

Usually I use the distraction technique on weekend mornings to put off eating anything until my stomach insists. I stay distracted working my second job at home. During the week is tougher just because of the routine. My body expects certain things at certain times of the day. I do realize there will be an adjustment phase. After I typed my last reply I realized that if I follow the book to the letter, I probably shouldn't deprive myself - I should let the process take its natural course.

So I ate the banana.   :D

jc

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »

In addition to the oil, have you tried adding new flavors? I keep several spice mixes in my drawer at the office and just sprinkle them on in various mixtures to try new flavors. It didnīt draw much attention from coworkers either.

I am thinking of getting some spices for sweet things, like cinnamon, vanilla, coconut etc...you can add it to coffee or desserts or fruits and even encourage others to experiment with you.

Please keep us posted how you are doing. Hope you see some results soon, but it took me more than a week to see a change on my scale.

CVgirl

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »

Have you tried mixing it with water and drinking with a straw aimed at the back of your mouth?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18