Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Am I using the right oil?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I using the right oil?  (Read 13223 times)

As44

Am I using the right oil?
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:34:55 AM »

Hey,

I'm new to this diet and it seems to be working (I've only been doing it for a couple days). 

I picked up Extra light tasting olive oil by Philip Berio.  I just noticed this morning a little sign at the bottom of the bottle saying "For frying and roasting".   Does it really matter if the oil I'm using is for "frying and roasting" even though it's extra light tasting?

thanks.

xtine

Re: Am I using the right oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:42:24 AM »

No, that's the right oil--- just make sure you can't taste it.  Good luck!

bigbaddar

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:58:42 AM »

You got the right stuff... ( no pun intended )  or maybe a pun is intended...

Although...you can use it for frying and roasting in addition to drinking it....

Welcome aboard..As44...glad to have you join us...

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!

Vronnie

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:09:10 PM »

hi As44 welcome to Shangri La

losing-it

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 06:15:30 PM »

I use that oil, too. Among others. But that's the main one, and the one I usually take for ELOO.

Aquafina

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:11:11 PM »

Hi, I'm new (I've been doing the fructose water for about 3 days but just drank my first Tbsp of oil 1/2 hour ago), and I have a question:

My grocery store carries Carapelli "Extra Light Olive Oil" - and in little print next to the word "Light" it says "in Taste".

BUT they carry 2 different kinds of ELOO - One (the cheaper one) has a banner across it that says "Best for Sauteing and Baking" and the other says "Best for Tasting".  There is a price difference of about $1.50. I figured for my first bottle, since I didn't know if I could tolerate it, I'd start with the cheaper one.

Do you think the "Tasting" one has more of a taste, or maybe its just a better oil to be eaten uncooked?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Terri

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 07:55:18 AM »

I like Bertoli ELOO. Just bought some Philip Berio and I have noticed an after taste. So I am going back to the Bertoli. The Berio was on sale and so bought that one. Not good!
In regards to your question, I think when it says "best for tasting" it means it has even less of a taste of olive oil.
Welcome to the forums. This is such a great place for support. We are all here to help eachother. I have been using ELOO for a year with great success.
Terri

shovelqueen

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »

I like Bertoli ELOO. Just bought some Philip Berio and I have noticed an after taste. So I am going back to the Bertoli. The Berio was on sale and so bought that one. Not good!
In regards to your question, I think when it says "best for tasting" it means it has even less of a taste of olive oil.
Welcome to the forums. This is such a great place for support. We are all here to help eachother. I have been using ELOO for a year with great success.
Terri
[/color]

Isn't that just Karmic!  About 1 hour ago, I was in the "fancier" grocery store on the east side of town (I usually frequent the less fancy store on the quieter west side)  looking at the ELOO bottles.  Read the label on the Berio, but decided to stick with the Bertolli, my original ELOO.  Guess I made the right choice!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »

I'll put in another plug for the Bertolli too.  I switched to another brand of ELOO as it was all I had in the house.  It left me feeling rather queesy.  The Bertolli is also a bit thinner and easier to take.  I never would have thought that the brand of ELOO could be so significant.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 02:24:31 PM »

Bertolli gives me a stomach ache :(
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »

Well any and all of the oils can leave me feeling a bit yuck....but still I persist!

Haven't lost a lot using SLD, but to not feel constantly hungry, well that alone keeps me hanging in there

kittymuse

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »

I just got some Carapelli ELOO (best for sauteing and baking) and I swear it's slightly rancid.  I wish I could open the bottle and smell the oil before I leave the store.  It seems like in a popular store, oil shouldn't be there long enough to go rancid.

I think I'll be able to finish this bottle, but I'm wondering if I should switch to Bertolli or hope my next bottle of Carapelli is better.  Bertoli was a few dollars more.  Then there's Filippo Berio, which is less expensive and comes in a bigger bottle - but a lot of you have said it has an aftertaste.

I'm hoping I can find ELOO somewhere for a little less money as well.  $6.50 for 33 Tbs seems like a lot, especially when that's only a little over two weeks on 2 Tbs a day or a little over a week on 4 Tbs a day.

With regard to the two types of Carapelli - my store doesn't have both.  I bought the "best for sauteeing and baking" and I don't taste olive oil at all, just the slight rancidity that I'm complaining about.  I think if I got a good bottle, it would be a good choice for ELOO.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »

Last 3 bottles I bought were Filipo Berio.  It has the least amount of flavor of the brands I have tried so far.  My DH says he will drink no other kind anymore.  Of course the Berio is more expensive at my store.  The larger bottle is $8.99 or it was on sale for $6.99 last week.  Its a 750ml bottle and it lasts us 2 weeks.

I just got some Carapelli ELOO (best for sauteing and baking) and I swear it's slightly rancid.  I wish I could open the bottle and smell the oil before I leave the store.

Sometimes I think the batch is not quite up to par, as I have got some that had a strange aftertaste, but the bottle in front of that one was OK and the one after as well.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

kittymuse

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

Sometimes I think the batch is not quite up to par, as I have got some that had a strange aftertaste, but the bottle in front of that one was OK and the one after as well.

Oh, right... because you're buying several at a time.  Hmmm... well, then I'll just get whatever's least expensive unless I start noticing a real difference between brands.

louise9898

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:11 AM »

I was in a fairly small Tesco (in the UK) and they only had a few oils.....I got the 'Light Olive Oil' - is that light enough? I can taste olives off it....not very strongly at all, but there is definitely taste to it - is that ok to use??

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18