Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I keep wondering if this should be a maintenance commentary thread as well

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I keep wondering if this should be a maintenance commentary thread as well  (Read 13726 times)

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/

I lost from about 245 to 167, then pushed my weight back up a little.  It has been stable at 177 to 179 for about four months or so.

Went on vacation for ten days.  Used midnight oil the entire time.

I should note that my "failure" with midnight oil occurred on vacation.  But thereafter, I noticed that every vacation I gained about three pounds, no matter what I did or was doing.

This time I walked a lot on vacation.  Lost from 179 to about 177.5 while doing so.

I find that with exercise my weight starts to drop.  I think it would flatten out about 165 at the level of exercise I would like to engage in (but don't quite get around to doing, especially since I've had to lay off Judo due to rotator cuff problems).  Without any real exercise (besides once a week for 50 minutes and running the stairs once a day or so) my weight is around 178 (where I still wear 32" waist pants and my wife is happy with me).

The other thing was this vacation I ate mostly pastry for breakfast and pizza for the rest of my meals, with ice cream/gelato throughout the day for snacks.  I'm not sure if that made a difference or not, but no typical american fast food except for one order of french fries I shared with my wife.

Anyway, maintenance has been going well.  I'm wearing the slim fit/trim fit Lands End shirts and the last pants I bought, more or less (not wearing the shorts  :? ).

How has your maintenance gone?

I'll report on how my exercise changes go.  With Heather back from school (her school cuts out spring break, gets them back early from Christmas and lets them out to get to the summer jobs early), I'm going to start swimming in the mornings.  I've made progress on my shoulders, but I'm told it would go faster if I swam every morning.

But I'm curious how others have gone.

anacara

I would love to hear comments those on maintenance.  The more the better!

flickad

• Girlface

My maintenance is also going well. I upped my calories by a few hundred when I hit 110lbs and also dropped my oil down to 1 tbsp/day. However, I have subsequently lost a few hundred grams, bringing my weight down to 109 or 109.5, which I'm even happier with. I do feel like it would be dangerous for me to keep losing too much more (I don't want to fall below about 107-108, because I'm not sure I'd continue to be healthy if I fell below the minimum normal weight for my height, which is 105lbs), so I'm keeping a fairly watchful eye on things. I don't want to gain anything either, so it's a bit of a balancing act, but I'm very much enjoying both being this slim and having more calories to play with.

I do not exercise, but I do count calories and track my intake along with taking a tbsp of ELOO nightly. These are things I did while losing also, the only difference being that at higher weights I used more ELOO and also more calories than at lower ones, since my energy needs obviously dropped as my weight did. I also exercised occasionally while losing, but I never had a regular fitness routine or anything. I simply exercised as I felt it was needed (ie when my weight was stuck). I also try and keep my diet reasonably balanced, though I still consume sugary foods and salty snacks in small to moderate amounts. The foods I emphasise most are fruit, vegetables, seaweeds, lean protein, oily fish and low fat dairy. I haven't cut out carbs, but I'm moderate with them, since I feel like they don't provide me with much nutritional bang for their buck. I also take a calcium supplement.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

My maintenance is also going well. I upped my calories by a few hundred when I hit 110lbs and also dropped my oil down to 1 tbsp/day. However, I have subsequently lost a few hundred grams, bringing my weight down to 109 or 109.5, which I'm even happier with. I do feel like it would be dangerous for me to keep losing too much more (I don't want to fall below about 107-108, because I'm not sure I'd continue to be healthy if I fell below the minimum normal weight for my height, which is 105lbs), so I'm keeping a fairly watchful eye on things. I don't want to gain anything either, so it's a bit of a balancing act, but I'm very much enjoying both being this slim and having more calories to play with.

I do not exercise, but I do count calories and track my intake along with taking a tbsp of ELOO nightly. These are things I did while losing also, the only difference being that at higher weights I used more ELOO and also more calories than at lower ones, since my energy needs obviously dropped as my weight did. I also exercised occasionally while losing, but I never had a regular fitness routine or anything. I simply exercised as I felt it was needed (ie when my weight was stuck). I also try and keep my diet reasonably balanced, though I still consume sugary foods and salty snacks in small to moderate amounts. The foods I emphasize most are fruit, vegetables, seaweeds, lean protein, oily fish and low fat dairy. I haven't cut out carbs, but I'm moderate with them, since I feel like they don't provide me with much nutritional bang for their buck. I also take a calcium supplement.

Excellent post, thanks!

multimoe

A little maintenance update:

About a month after reaching 113 lbs.  Weighed at Dr’s today (only scales I trust): 114 lbs., with clothes, no shoes.  I still believe that it is too soon to consider this ‘end of story’, because when I reduced the oil to 1½ T., I almost immediately seemed to feel hungrier--back to 2 T.!  Not sure if I really need that much, but am cautious in this regard for now. I am not counting calories but am estimating that I am consuming around 1100 most days.  I also feel that if I do not get the C-FF just right, such as forgetting to have it with meals, there is a difference in AS.  But, fundamentally, since I took six months to lose the last 10 lbs., my eating habits feel quite entrenched now, and not anything restrictive or temporary. This says something for being patient in losing.

Also, I am using juice for C-FF at this time: approx. 1 c. pomegranate (or blueberry, etc.) diluted w. 8-10 c. water, adding pectin, and sometimes juice of lemon thrown in.  Works great!  Obviously, there is endless variation available with this.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

A little maintenance update:

About a month after reaching 113 lbs.  Weighed at Dr’s today (only scales I trust): 114 lbs., with clothes, no shoes.  I still believe that it is too soon to consider this ‘end of story’, because when I reduced the oil to 1½ T., I almost immediately seemed to feel hungrier--back to 2 T.!  Not sure if I really need that much, but am cautious in this regard for now. I am not counting calories but am estimating that I am consuming around 1100 most days.  I also feel that if I do not get the C-FF just right, such as forgetting to have it with meals, there is a difference in AS.  But, fundamentally, since I took six months to lose the last 10 lbs., my eating habits feel quite entrenched now, and not anything restrictive or temporary. This says something for being patient in losing.

Also, I am using juice for C-FF at this time: approx. 1 c. pomegranate (or blueberry, etc.) diluted w. 8-10 c. water, adding pectin, and sometimes juice of lemon thrown in.  Works great!  Obviously, there is endless variation available with this.

I find it interesting that when I exercise my rest weight is 167, with 2 tablespoons.  When I'm not exercising (other than running the stairs at work) it takes 3 tablespoons and my rest weight is about 179. 

At 167, I'm also using a little ditto food to keep from dropping lower, at 179, I don't need any ditto food.

Been interesting to watch.

go2grl

I've been maintaining my weight loss for 7 or 8 months.  The first few months I cut my dose in half to 1T of oil and did fine for quite some time until my AS ran out completely.  Fortunately my eating habits had really changed - fewer carbs and smaller meals so that helped me even when the AS wasn't there.

I am now back to 2T but am not all that regular with it.  Works fine so long as I have at least a few days in a row where I get my 2T.  My weight has steadily been at 125 or 126 for almost all of maintenance with only a few bounces up.  For me cutting out breads and adding more salads is a sure way back down to my lowest weight (with the oil of course!)

I don't exercise much - some walking and some aerobic activity as it fits into my schedule.  I did find it helpful while losing to keep my metabolism from going completely dormant!

I do a bit of the CFF, but more because after so many months of drinking mainly water (cold & hot) I need a bit more flavor.  I do just traces of juice or crystal light in my water. Usually between meals rather than with.
Living La Vida SLD!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

I've been maintaining my weight loss for 7 or 8 months.  The first few months I cut my dose in half to 1T of oil and did fine for quite some time until my AS ran out completely.  Fortunately my eating habits had really changed - fewer carbs and smaller meals so that helped me even when the AS wasn't there.

I am now back to 2T but am not all that regular with it.  Works fine so long as I have at least a few days in a row where I get my 2T.  My weight has steadily been at 125 or 126 for almost all of maintenance with only a few bounces up.  For me cutting out breads and adding more salads is a sure way back down to my lowest weight (with the oil of course!)

I don't exercise much - some walking and some aerobic activity as it fits into my schedule.  I did find it helpful while losing to keep my metabolism from going completely dormant!

I do a bit of the CFF, but more because after so many months of drinking mainly water (cold & hot) I need a bit more flavor.  I do just traces of juice or crystal light in my water. Usually between meals rather than with.

Congrats.  I should have told you sooner, but I get distracted.

xtine

Re: I keep wondering if this should be a maintenance commentary thread as well
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »

Stephen, thanks so much for starting this thread, and the others for posting on it.  It's REALLY helpful to those of us still chugging along towards our goal to hear these encouraging and informative stories.  I do believe I will be joining you all soon with 12 lbs down and somewhere between 3 and 6 to go.  Please do keep the posts up, you maintainers-- the rest of us really appreciate hearing from you. 

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:04:38 PM »

Maintenance is going well for me, though I've let my weight slip to 168 to 170.  Used a little more oil, exercise a little more (though no where near like I was before).  I continue to get stronger.

It has been an amazing three years (as of November 9) and a little more.

Thanks Seth!

vrimj

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 07:15:12 PM »

I have been pretty stable, I have had a few periods were I stress ate or went on vacation, but have not spent much more then a week where I was 5 lbs off my target weight.   I do use the oil (fish oil as capsules, about 130 cals) when I am on a upswing but only for a week or two, most of the time I am fine without it.

This has just worked for me in a way I never would ave believed possible

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »

a maintainance thread would be a great idea... then all our friends won't just vanish along with their excess weight!!!!

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »

yeah, good idea. I'll add a maintenance forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18