Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Does anyone here grow pumpkins?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone here grow pumpkins?  (Read 7144 times)

mpq

• PA USA
Does anyone here grow pumpkins?
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:30:33 AM »

I saw an article where they grew pumpkin vines up a ladder because of lack of garden space. Every year I try to grow pumpkins. I've never had one grow. This year I'm trying the ladder thing.  Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really love to get just one pumpkin. Last year I tried a garden in the empty lot across the street. Planted lots of veggies and pumpkins. Worked my heart out on that garden and it was growing beautifully. Someone came while I was at work and stole all my plants. Can you imagine?  I came home from work and my garden was completely empty. What kind of person would do that? We know it was definitely a person because there were truck tire marks in the lot. So this year I have 2 tomato plants and my pumpkins. Started them indoors under a grow light. They look good!
Looking for help.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

rps930

• Food For Fuel
Re: Does anyone here grow pumpkins?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »

Not pumpkins, but I am growing summer squash in an old plastic toy chest, put in tomato cage, and they went up through that and spilled over the top.  Had enough squash for the two of us all summer.  We have shady yard and only a small space with enough sun to grow anything, last summer had very good luck with the squash and a tomato plant in another large container.  Good luck with the pumpkins.

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »

Is summer squash the yellow squash? That is excellent on the grill! How high was the tomato cage? and did you have to support the squash as it grew? Did you use any special type of dirt?

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »

Yes, it is the yellow straight neck kind, planted yellow crook neck this summer.  The cages are about 3 feet high, not counting the wire part that goes in the ground, they are about 18 in in diameter, the squash grow so fast, just point them in the right direction, and they will go up.  Used a mixture of potting soil and some kind of mulch the garden store had on sale, and did give them a shot of miracle gro about every 2 weeks.

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »

Mpq, a revision, used bagged topsoil not potting soil.  They are doing great, already have two babies on the bush.  Good luck with the pumpkins.

Beth

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 02:26:35 AM »

Zucchini, or courgette, depending where you live, are a summer squash which are terrific, easy to grow and always produce way more than you can eat.  You can pick them small and tender or give them a week and they get huge.  Since they produce so many, I tended to pick them small.  Pumpkin, and other winter squash take a long time to grow. Plant in May and they aren't ready until October.  Did you get any flowers on your pumpkin vines?

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 06:44:14 AM »

I  did get flowers, but then the vines just withered.

shovelqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »

I know this info may be months too late, but I have successfully grown pumpkins and winter squash, even in Ontario's shorter growing season.  If I'm way too late, tuck this info away for next year. 

Pumpkins need tons of water and generous amounts of manure or compost to do their best.  They like full sun.  If you get flowers, you can actually play "pumpkin sex" and pollinate them yourself.  The female flowers have short stubby stems (figures, eh?) that will eventually swell to become pumpkins.  The male flowers are on tall thin stalks.  You can pick a male flower, peel off the petals, and rub the stamen in the female flower to pollinate it.  Maybe you problem has been no bees.  Are you in the city?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »

No, I live in Suburbia. It's not working again. They didn't go into vines. Just plants about one foot high. Blossoms though. I will try to pollinate them, though we do have many bees. My neighbors 3 year old grandson poked two pumpkin seeds into the flower planters.
You should see the beautiful vines they have ! Oh well.
Thanks for the info!

Lewis617

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »

Since Halloween is coming up, don't forget that pumpkin seeds to add the benefit, protecting your prostate, improving bladder function, helps to prevent osteoporosis, and its also a natural anti inflammatory.

adventurer

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »

I hope you get a lot of pumpkins!  Happy Halloween!  Pumpkins are very healthy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18