Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Does falling in love lower one's setpoint?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does falling in love lower one's setpoint?  (Read 3583 times)

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
Does falling in love lower one's setpoint?
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:09:40 AM »

I thought of this on a walk today - the times in my life when I've been effortlessly thinnest have been when I was falling in love.  Appetite - gone, poof.  Livin' on love, somehow.  But in retrospect - could that loss of appetite have meant a lowered setpoint?  Hmmm...  Maybe the hormone rush that is new love drives one's setpoint down.  Any cool evolutionary theory to support that idea?  Ha.

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: Does falling in love lower one's setpoint?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:14:03 AM »

Yes, I've often thought about that. The same with grief.

Also, a new interest (hey, I'm a serial hobbyist and obsessive).
Running weight tally:

garfysmom

• Love me, love my cat (Garfy)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:17 AM »

I don't think it does, I recently lost my husband (5 months ago) and step-son (11 months ago) and during the immediate time after their deaths, I lost a little, but when I started feeling "Normal" the weight came back. 

I even gained weight, as I was in a deep depression and looked to food for comfort.

But with the time that has passed now, I feel ike I have to start living for me.  I can't live for the dead anymore, and I have a wonderful guy helping me.  He is my late husband's best friend since hgh school, just like a brother.  He helps me keep centered on me, and lets me know that I am okay and that thinking of me is okay, since I  am all I have left.  Me and my animals. 

Not losing weight - that means I am looking to find it later... and I'm not looking...;-)

Caligal

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »

I don't think it does, I recently lost my husband (5 months ago) and step-son (11 months ago) and during the immediate time after their deaths, I lost a little, but when I started feeling "Normal" the weight came back. 

I even gained weight, as I was in a deep depression and looked to food for comfort.

But with the time that has passed now, I feel ike I have to start living for me.  I can't live for the dead anymore, and I have a wonderful guy helping me.  He is my late husband's best friend since hgh school, just like a brother.  He helps me keep centered on me, and lets me know that I am okay and that thinking of me is okay, since I  am all I have left.  Me and my animals. 

So sorry to hear of the deaths in your family.  You are very lucky to have someone that can be there to help you through the rough times.
CALIGAL
Member since 2006
Restarting Jan 09

saggi girl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »

For me, it's the opposite.

During the year following my husband's death in 2000, I lost probably about 20-30 pounds (I wasn't weighing myself then so I'm not sure of the amount, but I know I was losing).

When I started seeing my SO, I gained back that amount of weight and maybe even more. 

So for me, when I'm happy, I gain.  When I'm unhappy, I lose.

Weird, how it works differently for people.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:50:51 PM »

Emotional turmoil generally causes weight loss. Some call it the Grief Diet.

Terri

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »

I went through a divorce when I was 27 and I lost so much weight in a matter of weels!  I recall walking by a glass window storefront and didn't recognize the woman in the window!  It was my reflection and I was thin! So thin my mom was worried. Then I remarried and whoosh the weight started coming back on!!! Love is crazy!
Terri
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18