Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Wonderful experience at a party!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wonderful experience at a party!  (Read 14439 times)

Victoria

Wonderful experience at a party!
« on: May 21, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

I went to a confirmation party today, held at an Italian restaurant.  It was an amazing experience.  There were seven courses - from antipasto through dessert, plus wonderful bread and butter and wine.  At these types of affairs, I usually worry about eating too much and then either overeat or leave feeling deprived.  Today was a completely different experience.  As each course was served, I ate a few bites, enjoyed every morsel, and had room for more.  I ate more of the dishes I really liked, less of the ones that were just okay.  I finished the meal feeling completely satisfied and happy, yet ate MUCH less than everyone else at the table, yet it wasn't intentional!  That's really the best part.  I am not intentionally holding myself back or trying to reign in my appetite.  I really ate exactly what I wanted and no more.  It's so weird!  I wasn't focused on the food for a change.  It was very enjoyable, but I wasn't obsessed with wanting it/not wanting it/overeating/undereating and feeling deprived and resentful, etc., etc.  I focused on my friends and the great conversation, and the food was just...background.  It was there.  It was delicious.  But it wasn't in control of my afternoon - I was.  I don't think this has ever happened to me before.  I feel so self-conscious writing this, but honestly, I didn't TRY to do any of this.  It just happened naturally.

I am so happy right now.

Lyn

Re: Wonderful experience at a party!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

That's fabulous! WTG!

I turned my husband on this this... I have 50+ lbs to lose and he only has about 20 or so to lose. For dinner tonight, we grilled and split a steak, split a potato, each had one slice of French bread, and green beans. Our daughters had ice cream and neither of us had room! :D

jzkc

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:07:15 PM »

Way to go, Victoria!  Gives you lots of confidence in winning the battle over food, doesn't it?  I have to go to a convention in two weeks.  I'm going to remember your experience and use it to guide myself!

Denise

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »

When you have experiences like that, it really brings home the point of the name of the diet.

Seena

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:49:42 AM »

Is this placebo effect? A mind game? Do I care?

I was in the bulk food store yesterday. Saw the dark chocolate covered almonds, went to buy some and then thought "do I really want them?". The voice in my head said "Nah, not really...". I didn't buy them. Felt good.

The voice in my head has never, ever said that before.  :shock:

Denise

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:51:40 AM »

Yeah, it's kind of like, "Who is this strange thin person in my head?"

Eraserhead

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 12:48:09 AM »

Denise, just wanted to tell you that you have described it perfectly when you say "who is this strange thin person in my head?". 

Did you ever see the Flintstones episode where an alien takes over Fred's body and his personality completely changes?  It reminds me of that.

Still can't get over how this "diet" seems to actually change the way you think about food!
This could be just the tip of the iceburg - can changing our diet in other ways get rid of other compulsive behaviors?  Something to think about!

popsta

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 01:29:17 AM »

That's the great thing with this Victoria. You don't have to try to change anything. It just happens. Brilliant isn't it?

CarolS

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:29:23 AM »

Had a similar experience yesterday - what do call those choc covered pretzels - flipz?  Anyway - love those - but when i saw there were 5 servings in one small bag - changed my mind - and it was no big deal.

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 06:32:47 AM »

I went to a confirmation party today, held at an Italian restaurant.  It was an amazing experience.  There were seven courses - from antipasto through dessert, plus wonderful bread and butter and wine.  At these types of affairs, I usually worry about eating too much and then either overeat or leave feeling deprived.  Today was a completely different experience.  As each course was served, I ate a few bites, enjoyed every morsel, and had room for more.  I ate more of the dishes I really liked, less of the ones that were just okay.  I finished the meal feeling completely satisfied and happy, yet ate MUCH less than everyone else at the table, yet it wasn't intentional!  That's really the best part.  I am not intentionally holding myself back or trying to reign in my appetite.  I really ate exactly what I wanted and no more.  It's so weird!  I wasn't focused on the food for a change.  It was very enjoyable, but I wasn't obsessed with wanting it/not wanting it/overeating/undereating and feeling deprived and resentful, etc., etc.  I focused on my friends and the great conversation, and the food was just...background.  It was there.  It was delicious.  But it wasn't in control of my afternoon - I was.  I don't think this has ever happened to me before.  I feel so self-conscious writing this, but honestly, I didn't TRY to do any of this.  It just happened naturally.

I am so happy right now.
[/color]

I had a similar experience at a huge restaurant feasty feast a couple of weeks ago.  I was beaming as I walked out - the FREEDOM, to taste and enjoy but not obsess or over-indulge, it's incredible.  I feel so European (and I'm not!  At least not in the last 100 years!) in my food-snobbishess - I only eat it if it's fresh and delicious.  Otherwise, eh, don't need it.  Heaven!!!

CarolS

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 06:36:16 AM »

Wow we're all turning into major food don't want to say the word  :D  Yeah it is cool - being able to be 'discerning'  :)

sandywings

• www.lyndastevens.myarbonne.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 06:36:48 AM »

I only eat it if it's fresh and delicious.  Otherwise, eh, don't need it.  Heaven!!!

Good point - who needs noseclipping?  LOL

Terri

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »

The focus of the party is definitely not the food anymore! Love it!
Terri
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18