Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I passed my goal!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I passed my goal!  (Read 56811 times)

jj

Re: I passed my goal!
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2007, 05:55:07 PM »

Flickad,
I will try to increase my oil from 2 to 3 tbsp and I will increase my walking. I have never really had a weight problem until I quit smoking. I used to smoke a pack a day and was never above 100 lb. When I quit smoking I slowly started to gain and after having my daughter was never quite able to loose the last 4lb.
Where were your grandparents from?
I am from Warsaw.
jj.

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »

One of them was from Warsaw, the rest were from towns I can never remember the names of.

I've been thinking of quitting smoking, but it all seems too hard. Plus, the prospect of undoing all my hard work in the weight field really is a turn-off.

As far as adding walking goes, I've noticed that a nice side-effect of oil is that it gives you a lot more energy. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps it's to do with the essential fats? Anyway, I'm finding that, taking more, I have more energy for physical activity and study, as well as being less hungry and having fewer sugar cravings.

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2007, 07:21:47 AM »

Update:

I've been stressed and have been bingeing right over the oil this week, despite experiencing AS (though I also suspect my period is coming early). I'm going to try and only eat when I'm hungry, but it isn't easy when my first response to deadlines is to reach for cigarettes and sugar :/.

Any tips for this tendency?

falconcy

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2007, 07:28:32 AM »

When I'm on a deadline, I just focus. Anything else is just a distraction and actually wastes time. If anything, I can actually get through a day and eat less when really under pressure.

jj

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »

Flickad,
Whenever I feel increased temptation I drink a lot of sparkling water, preferably St. Pellegrino. I started taking coconut oil capsules and they have the most excellent effect on my appetite.
Have you tried coconut oil yet?
jj.

Oslo

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »

Hey Flickad
such a toughie! - but this is what I think I think: you've done an amazing thing, losing so much weight, and you are basically right where you want to be, right?   A couple pounds comes and goes on everybody, the trick is for them not just to come...   Are you nervous just to take your SLD calories, and eat what you want when you want?   We aren't machines, you are at an enviable (!) weight, and maybe now with other aspects of  healthiness (considering quitting smoking, starting exercising despite the previously mentioned loathing) becoming a more central priority, but also being understandably daunting, the stress causes extra pressure on the weight control thing (which backfires - into the whole cravings-'bingeing' (though when my skinny NF eating a bag of chips or cookies, he doesn't think of it as a 'binge' - just a big snack attack) - guilt-etc. negative cycle), since that is something you can look at and recognize your success with.  What about the subtle shift to seeing that success and it inspiring your confidence on the other fronts?  (Especially since for health benefits, exercise doesn't have to be super orderly and extensive - but being able to touch your toes easily and happily climb some stairs everyday have myriad benefits...   
so I'd say, be well and happy!   Oslo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:49:25 AM by Oslo »
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »

Hey Flickad
such a toughie! - but this is what I think I think: you've done an amazing thing, losing so much weight, and you are basically right where you want to be, right?   A couple pounds comes and goes on everybody, the trick is for them not just to come...   Are you nervous just to take your SLD calories, and eat what you want when you want?   We aren't machines, you are at an enviable (!) weight, and maybe now with other aspects of  healthiness (considering quitting smoking, starting exercising despite the previously mentioned loathing) becoming a more central priority, but also being understandable daunting, the stress causes extra pressure on the weight control thing (which backfires - into the whole cravings-'bingeing' (though when my skinny NF eating a bag of chips or cookies, he doesn't think of it as a 'binge' - just a big snack attack) - guilt-etc. negative cycle), since that is something you can look at and recognize your success with.  What about the subtle shift to seeing that success and it inspiring your confidence on the other fronts?  (Especially since for health benefits, exercise doesn't have to be super orderly and extensive - but being able to touch your toes easily and happily climb some stairs everyday have myriad benefits...   
so I'd say, be well and happy!   Oslo

I do still want to lose that couple of pounds (and I may have put on a little this week- not sure- but I think I'll stay away from the scale for a day or so while I try something else) but I've been thinking about just the points you've mentioned and am thinking I'll experiment with just doing the SLD plus exercise- I think calorie counting keeps me in 'diet' mode, which keeps me using food as a reward or a break instead of letting me truly be in touch with my body. I also feel like I would probably enjoy both life and the SLD a lot more if I listened to my body rather than fiddled constantly with numbers.

I might see how it goes for a few days to a week and then evaluate.

Thanks!

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »

Flickad,
Whenever I feel increased temptation I drink a lot of sparkling water, preferably St. Pellegrino. I started taking coconut oil capsules and they have the most excellent effect on my appetite.
Have you tried coconut oil yet?
jj.

Hmmm. I haven't bothered with the coconut oil, since most people here have said ELOO works better, but it's something I might try at some point, if it's working for you.

Thankyou!!

jj

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »

Flickad,
I just wanted to remind you that you are at your target weight of 102lb. If you just take oil without doing any additional dieting you should still easily maintain your weight!  :D
I bet you look great and should just enjoy it!
I am at 105lb and still have 3lb to go to be where you are but it is still OK.
I have a glass of Pinot Noir with my dinner and simply enjoy what I have accomplished so far. My husband is 6'1'' and since starting SLD he went from 180 to 160 lb without counting calories. He looks very thin now. Have faith, your body probably knows what to do to keep you where you are.
BTW, I really love coconut oil. You should defenitely try it.
JJ.

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »

Flickad,
I just wanted to remind you that you are at your target weight of 102lb. If you just take oil without doing any additional dieting you should still easily maintain your weight!  :D
I bet you look great and should just enjoy it!
I am at 105lb and still have 3lb to go to be where you are but it is still OK.
I have a glass of Pinot Noir with my dinner and simply enjoy what I have accomplished so far. My husband is 6'1'' and since starting SLD he went from 180 to 160 lb without counting calories. He looks very thin now. Have faith, your body probably knows what to do to keep you where you are.
BTW, I really love coconut oil. You should defenitely try it.
JJ.

My weight's been fluctuating a bit (not sure what it is today), but I'm definitely very close to my goal, even if I'm not exactly at it. And yes, when you put it that way, I am mostly quite happy with how my body looks. I am thinking that perhaps I should just take advantage of the Shangri-La aspect of Shangri-La, so to speak, and see how that goes. I suspect it would help me calm down around food and not be so obsessed with it. It is the obsession that, at least in part, makes me reach for food in response to some emotional discomfort, and being in diet mode encourages that obsession.

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2007, 05:48:25 PM »

Just doing SLD plus exercise and not otherwise 'dieting' in any way is so far working well for me. I am much more able to take advantage of the AS and as I am only half a kilo/1.1lbs from my goal (weighed in this morning), I will soon be dropping my oil dose down again.

Here is part of what I wrote about it in my livejournal yesterday:

It's really too early to be talking about this, given that it's been less than a day, but so far intuitive eating has been going well for me in terms of my state of mind. I have no idea what my weight is today, I deliberately kept away from the scales since I binged last night and also didn't want to be in a numbers-obsessed mode today. I did find myself roughly totaling calories a couple of times and looking at labels once or twice but deliberately interrupted myself. I'm finding that I feel calmer and more rational and also a bit less food-obsessed. I remain quite frightened of foods I know to be high in calories, but I'm trying to fight that and eat what I like as I get hungry. I'm finding that I get hungry quite frequently and want only a small snack each time. Eating when I'm hungry is scary, I won't lie, I'm terrified I'll gain weight and maybe never stop gaining. I'm also frightened of losing too much weight (though not yet at my goal weight of 46kg, I was reasonably close the last time I checked), thereby destroying my physical health. Even allowing myself to get hungry is scary. Doing this means giving up part of my control, in a way, and that isn't always the easiest thing in the world. I'm still doing both a fair amount of exercise and Shangri-La (been doing the latter since late 2006, it's partly how I lost much of my excess weight this time around), neither of which tend to mess with my head.

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2007, 07:04:47 PM »

Hey Flickad, see if you can get a hold of Dr Amanda Sainsbury-Salis' book, ' The Don't Go Hungry Diet'.  ( She's an Aussie, based at the Garvan Institute in Sydney). She has a really great approach or perspective on intuitive eating which can easily go hand in hand with SLD.  I think you'd find it very worthwhile.
Cheers
M

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »

Hey Flickad, see if you can get a hold of Dr Amanda Sainsbury-Salis' book, ' The Don't Go Hungry Diet'.  ( She's an Aussie, based at the Garvan Institute in Sydney). She has a really great approach or perspective on intuitive eating which can easily go hand in hand with SLD.  I think you'd find it very worthwhile.
Cheers
M

I have read quite a bit about intuitive eating in the past, but I've always had to be in a particular state of mind in the first place to put it into practice (same as most diets, really). The SLD facilitates a more intuitive approach to eating, I think, as well as helping you stick to healthier foods.

I'll keep an eye out for the book. Thanks!

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »

Oh, jj: How are you going with the increased oil and more walking? Are you noticing any difference yet?

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »

Oh, and, to everyone: I really love this board. Everyone is so caring and enthusiastic, it's really nice to see and be around.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18