Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Female side effects

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female side effects  (Read 45941 times)

spacehoppa

• England
Female side effects
« on: May 20, 2006, 01:16:01 PM »

So far I've noticed only positive side effects, such as better skin/hair/nails, increased libido, increased energy, lowered blood pressure and pulse, thinking more clearly, weight loss (musn't forget that one!) and so on, but some women have reported mild depression and increased hot flushes/flashes if they're menopausal.

As women are so different from men hormonally, I think we should have a women-only thread to discuss the diet's side effects.

Anyone notice anything else new?
Female, 35 yrs, started SLD 3rd May 2006, Start weight 196, Currently pregnant

Sherrie

Re: Female side effects
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 09:44:41 PM »

Like you, I've only noticed the positive side effects. Well, I suppose I can attribute the hot flashes to this, but I honestly never connected the two. In fact, I thought it was because I quit smoking.

To anyone who would like to quit smoking also, I encourange you to try it. I smoked for more than 20 years, up to two packs a day, and quit cold turkey last Sunday...with barely a craving since! I did have some dizziness and have been grouchy as a bear (which is actually my normal disposition, so nothing new), but all in all, it has been the most painless attempt ever and I think it must be the Shangri La Diet.

Denise

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 12:41:10 AM »

The hot flashes, if not associated with menopause, are actually common when losing weight quickly.  My coworker who did very low calorie WW and was only 31 said she would wake up in a drenched heat some nights.  It's not just this diet, it seems to be any that you're burning more than your intake.  I had flush days often with low-carb.  And I'm not menopausal at all.

Ann H

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 04:37:45 AM »

Oh, is THAT why I've been sweating like a pig recently while others around me aren't?

The last few weeks, especially last few days (when I've been losing weight), I've been drenched at night, during the day, etc., while others are fine. I've lived in the tropics now for 5 years and had gotten used to the temperatures and generally stopped sweating, but I was still assuming that somehow my body had suddenly reverted to its old "hey-I'm-a-temperate-climate-caucasian-it's-bloody-friggin-hot-in-here" ways. Maybe it's the diet: I'm always the only non-Asian in the room AND always the only Shangri-la-er.

Thanks for the tip! Hope this means my scale will keep dropping!

Cheers,
Ann H (in Malaysia)

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »

I've been hot too. I'm not in menopause (yet). I just figured it might be an increase in my metabolism.

Dee

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »

The not-so-great side effect I'm having is lethargy.  The oil seems to make me tired.  Although this is great at bedtime, it is not a good thing during the day, particularly since I have little kids. 

I also have gastric upset shortly after taking the oil, but I have remedied that with fiber caplets.

Dee

Denise

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 10:14:45 PM »

I'm having a hard time understanding why that would happen.  It's just oil.  I go to Italian restaurants and dip my bread in oil.  I have cooked with oil.  I've eaten fried foods.  I'm not doubting you at all, I just don't understand how a food item that's a normal part of most people's diets could cause lethargy when consumed alone.

Gastric upset I can understand and have had.  I'll try fiber caplets, thanks!

spacehoppa

• England
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 11:13:26 PM »

Maybe the lethargy is from eating less. After all, to lose weight we're expending more energy than calories consumed. I can easily imagine that would make you feel tired if you have small children.

Perhaps once a good few pounds have been shed this feeling will diminish as you'll gain energy from having a slighter frame... Wishful thinking perhaps... or maybe I've fallen into the trap of thinking that all problems are solved by being thin  :lol: .

Female, 35 yrs, started SLD 3rd May 2006, Start weight 196, Currently pregnant

Dixie_Amazon

• Using Coconut Oil
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 04:10:19 AM »

The not-so-great side effect I'm having is lethargy.  The oil seems to make me tired.  Although this is great at bedtime, it is not a good thing during the day, particularly since I have little kids. 

I also have gastric upset shortly after taking the oil, but I have remedied that with fiber caplets.
I am lethargic too. On the bright side I haven't taken a sleeping aid since I started.  :) I am definitely trying the fiber today.
Dennise with 2 n's

Dee

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 09:04:18 AM »

I am lethargic too. On the bright side I haven't taken a sleeping aid since I started.  :) I am definitely trying the fiber today.

I have not taken any Ambien either since I started.  I have had insomnia issues for the past decade.  It usually takes me over an hour to fall asleep each night, regardless of how tired I happen to be.  Since starting SLD, I barely make it 15 minutes before I'm out.  And if I sit down on the couch in the evening to watch a DVD with my husband (even if it's early), I am out!  I can't make it through the movie, which is a first for me.  Like I said, I really like that side effect of SDL...it has cured my insomnia.  However, I also feel the same during the day and usually need caffeine to snap out of it.  I'm not a big caffeine drinker; so when I go without, I am lethargic throughout the day.

Dee

terry

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »

I've had another unusual side-effect that I posted on another thread.  It usually happens after my second dose for the day (I take oil in water with a tiny bit of sugar for pleasantness, between b/f & lunch, then again after lunch).  I begin to feel a little shaky and sort of disoriented, like I haven't eaten enough for the day (even though with the oil, I've had plenty of calories).  I know I have some slight issue with sugar but, there is not enough sugar in my dose to have that effect.  However, after I've eaten my dinner or even a snack, that feeling goes away. 

I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant so I know what it feels like to have too much sugar and too much insulin in my system.  It feels similar to having too much insulin which makes sense since it is helped by eating.  However, because of the hour I need to wait after my dose, I feel very strange until I've had some food, usually something with carbs to counter the insulin feeling.

Anyone have similar effects or suggestions?

Seena

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »

Oh, SLEEP for sure! I haven't had an interrupted night since I began. I used to have a "routine": wake up at, oh, 3 or 4, have a glass of milk or some cereal, go back to bed and fall back asleep. Not once since I started sld! I fall asleep immediately, and I wake up in the morning feeling great.

This "diet" (there's got to be a better word -- method? regime? routine?) has stopped my cravings, depressed my appetite, improved the quality of my sleep ... if Big Pharma invented a pill that, taken 2 or 3x per day, would do those things with few other side effects there'd be a rush to the patent office and the company's stocks would go outta sight. And add to that weight loss! Seth deserves to be wealthy and famous. Yoo hoo, Seth, did you hear that?  :lol:

julienuce

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 08:48:03 PM »

anyone out there getting moodier? I notice a definite mood change since starting 3 weeks ago. I am so much more irritable and cranky, and short tempered with kids hubby etc. I hope I am not alone on this as then I wont have my 'excuse' and Ill have to face the hard truth...ugh :?. Maybe the oil (canola) has some influence over brain synapses..any of you smarties out there have any clues? :wink:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmlN6bV/]

[/url]

Cleo

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 01:31:22 PM »

I get acute libido flashes. I started this technique two weeks ago but started "offically" yesterday.   I noticed the libido flashes about a week ago but didn't attribute them to the ELOO until I read about it on this forum.

Also, I am a total caffeine addict and I have needed about half of the caffeine that I usually need to clear away the morning torpor.

juliebjorn

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »

In response to Terry:
I've noticed a similar effect myself - not so much hungry, but dizzy and shaky as though I need to eat. For me this was after my first dose of the day, between breakfast and lunch. Like you, I know I've had enough calories so far today. I don't have diabetes, but it runs in my family (and I'm probably at least a little bit hypoglycemic). I don't take the sugar, because I don't have the patience. I don't know why this is an effect.

Also, I've been more tired during the day, but waking early and not sleeping as deeply at night. When I'm not sleepy, I'm fidgety, which seems a good thing to me since I'm usually more sedentary.

Moodwise, I've actually been quite cheery - mainly because, though it's only been a week, I've noticed a big difference and I really believe that this time I will lose the weight and keep it off.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18