Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Application of Theory -- Extinguishing Conditioned Reinforcer (flavor)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: New Application of Theory -- Extinguishing Conditioned Reinforcer (flavor)  (Read 100817 times)

Clarinette

I did it today. Twice in a window of two hours. It seems to work for me automatically as the flavorless calories worked. Now time will tell if I can do that everyday.....I hope so!  8)

shinju_chan

I never felt any AS from drinking tea or any other flavorless calories; for me the "desiring strong flavors that have fewer calories" was really just a side-effect to my weight loss, or a natural phenomenon when I was skinny in the first place.  Somehow I really doubt that having strongly flavored virtually non-caloric foods would really do quite the trick, and probably in the long run be pretty bad for you, particularly if you were like, "well I'll just have really really salty stuff or really sweet stuff with artificial sweetener in it!!"  We've already been there for years with "diet" food, and clearly it doesn't work.

For any of you using diet soda for that, don't!  There are alot of studies done from ages ago that show that drinks lots and lots of diet soda is quite harmful for your body because of the artificial sugar.  I'm voting for flavorless calories all the way!  :)

mpq

• PA USA

I have gotten cold sores from the time I was a child, and recently read an article saying that soda can be a factor in cold sores. I think it was the acid. So I stay away from most sodas now. but I keep diet root beer at home for an evening treat at times. I love it.
Put a scoop of low carb ice cream. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

multimoe

Are you all trying the no calorie flavor while keeping the 2 hour no-flavor window?
I find the idea of a small "calorieless flavour burst" between meals quite appealing, and I'm going to do it within the two hour window, which is easy enough

I hope that we do not dismiss this idea too soon.

It is all part of SLD, as Seth says in his blog:
   April 16th, 2007 at 6:41 pm
It would depend on what those calorie-less flavors are. If they are the same flavors that are sometimes paired with calories — yes. If they are different than the flavors paired with calories, no.
I consume a fair amount of calorieless flavors in the form of gum but the gum flavors I use are not flavors that are paired with calories at other times
. [/color]

For me, it is looking like it may be the missing factor for consistent appetite control with SLD.  Here’s why:

HUSBAND:  Started Oct./06, with 15 lbs. to lose. Always drinks Cool-Aid (reduced sugar) with and between meals.  AS?  Never hungry; cravings gone, gone, gone; often misses meals (unheard of for him before SLD—had to have breakfast upon arising, now cannot even eat til noon); happily considers SLD part of his life; never worries about weight now, just knows that is is slowly decreasing and is confident it will stay that way. (Grrrrr!)

ME:  Started Oct./06 with 10 lbs. to lose.  Always drink plain water with and between meals, and tea between meals only.  AS?  Truthfully, sometimes I am just not sure. (I could go on with all of the other benefits we are getting from SLD, but am trying to stay on topic)  Also consider SLD part of my life, but am constantly analyzing and wondering if I am missing something.

THE DIFFERENCE:  He is drinking Cool-Aid with and between meals; I was drinking plain water only (virtuous me!), with and between meals, with some tea between meals only.  So, my only calorie-less flavour, tea, was never paired with calories, as his Cool-Aid is, at meals. (See Seth’s quote, above).

Three days ago I started having tea with and between meals.  Within a day I am sure that I noticed much-decreased between-meal hunger.  Now, of course, as I understand it right now, it doesn’t have to be just tea, as long as the calorie-less flavour is consumed with and between meals.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It’s easy to get mixed up with this at first, as I have.  I noticed that both mpq and magpie spoke of having the calorie-less flavour in the 2 hr window.  If they mean the crucial 2 hr. flavour-free window around the oil or sugar, this would probably be wrong, as it would be introducing flavour in this no-flavour window.  I know this is starting to sound like blah blah blah now.  Sorry.

This is the reason, besides the great joy and fun,  that I follow the forums so closely: for Seth Roberts and the wisdom of crowds, and waiting for those crucial factors , that I may be missing, to emerge.
For me, anyway, this looks like it may be at least one of them, and hopefully for others as well.  We’ll see.

TalkingRat

The other difference:  he's a guy.   :lol:

multimoe

Sorry, Talking Rat, but I have never really been able to accept that testosterone thing in itself, and purposely did not factor it in my analysis of this situation.  Although, maybe that's subconsciously why I added (Grrr!). Not fair!  

Clarinette

Trina,

Your Husband does he respect the window of 2 hours for his Kool-Aid? I wonder if the Lemon water would do if I use it also while eating!

multimoe

Trina,

Your Husband does he respect the window of 2 hours for his Kool-Aid? I wonder if the Lemon water would do if I use it also while eating!

Clarinette, I am no expert on this subject as it is relatively new, but I am pretty sure that any calorie-less flavours should help with appetite suppression, if taken at meals and between meals.  Could be lemon juice, coffee, soft drinks, etc. etc.

mpq

• PA USA

Trina, do you drink the same flavor of tea all the time?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

multimoe

Trina, do you drink the same flavor of tea all the time?

mpq, yes, always green tea.

Clarinette

For me that doesn't do the Oil or the SW etc. I will try the Lemon Water during Meal and in between my window of two hours. It might work. I'll try. I know that yesterday with my coffee, and my diet pop it work. I take my breakfast with coffee and many time some diner with the diet pop. So maybe that is why I felt that my AS was good.

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.

If they mean the crucial 2 hr. flavour-free window around the oil or sugar, this would probably be wrong,
Trina, I agree.  I was thinking about adding this CLF (CLFL? ClessF?) in a separate two hour window.  Ineresting take on the flavour paired with food and then without,  hmmmm, have to think about that, work out how to work it, so to speak.

losing-it

Maté Chocolatté by Guayakí
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »

I was at Vitamin Shoppe today and picked up a very flavorful, good and healthy organic beverage with only 4 calories that might work for some trying this experiment in reverse SLD. It is called Maté Chocolatté by a company called Guayakí -

16 bags for brewing in the box
4 calories per serving (2.5 g)
No fat
1 g carb

Organic Yerba Mate (leaf)
Organic Cocoa (seed)
Organic Nutmeg (seed)
Organic Cinnamon (bark)
Organic Stevia (leaf) - natural sweetener
Organic Clove (seed)

Mate is said (on the package), to "stimulate focus & clarity, improve physical energy, aid elimination [for those of us who experience poop-retention with SLD], contains antioxidants, and traditionally used as a supportive treatment in weight loss prrograms that include a balanced diet and exercise." It does have naturally occuring caffiene. The company seems to make all kinds of Mate beverages and some other things which might work with the no/lo-cal idea. Guayakí website & product page:

http://www.guayaki.com/ 

http://www.guayaki.com/index.php?p=view_product&product_id=51

Clarinette

Losing-it.
That sounds good and Yummi.

nimi

jrenee - I LOVE that mojito mint gum.  But then I LOVE mojitos :D

These are some interesting ideas I'll have to try.  I used to suck down tea by the gallons.  I quit caffeine, but this seems like a good reason to try it again.  Tea's good for you anyway. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18