Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Stupid Question?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid Question?  (Read 19184 times)

Trebor

Stupid Question?
« on: May 20, 2006, 10:43:15 AM »

I'd love to take fish oil - but my brand has a slight lemony flavor.

Question...

If I plug my nose when I swallow it - then chase/rinse with water - then unplug my nose - will that meet the "flavorlessness" requirement?

Second question...

If eating a regular meal - can't you just stick those swimmers nose plugs on your nose and dramatically reduce the flavor of a meal and create some flavorless effects? (not that you'd want or need to do this all the time - seemed like a quick way to dramatically alter flavor when eating out of the public eye - obviously not a good move on a first date!  :shock: )

Denise

Re: Stupid Question?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »

Seth doesn't think that smell has much to do with the process.  On the other hand, the process does have some effect on responses to smell.  I made popcorn last weekend for guests, which is the most smell-it-must-eat-it food I know of, but I didn't want any.

As for your fish oil, just try it.  If you don't feel appetite suppression or if your appetite actually increases, it isn't working.  Seth hasn't tried all the oils out there, so we're the lab rats on this.

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:54:26 PM »

I think smell has something to do with, although I have no idea how much.  I know that I don't taste the oil when I have my nose plugged and I do taste it when I don't.  I might be unusual.  If my sense of things is correct then Trebor's suggestion of plugging your nose while eating out of public view might actually work, at least temporarily, by changing the flavors.  As with most things on this diet however, nobody knows for sure, so try it Trebor and see what your results are!
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Will Ware

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »

It sounds surprising to hear that smell is not supposed to have much to do with it. The sense of smell is connected to some very ancient brain structures, and is intimately connected with memory - the smell of a certain brand of soap immediately brings to mind experiences from when I was 4 or 5 years old. Also, I'm pretty sure I've heard connoiseurs comment that the sense of smell is a very big part of their sense of taste.

Assuming the theory is about right, that the brain is detecting flavors and correlating them with calorie absorption, it seems quite likely that smell would be involved.

That brings to my mind an unrelated question, but I'll mention it here anyway. Seth identifies leptin as the feedback signal for stored body fat. But the leptin level should lag calorie consumption by a few days, wouldn't it? The food gets converted to glycogen and then stored as fat later. Expecting to see a rise in leptin level within an hour of drinking one's SW or oil seems unrealistic. Is there another signal that acts more quickly?

Trebor

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:19:49 AM »

Actually, I was asking about the smell angle because you can't actually "taste" most foods with your nose plugged. Hence, the food is flavorless. It seemed that this would make the flavor in a certain oil or food actually flavorless.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 09:33:46 AM »

I don't think the question is stupid.
Not along ago I was watching this science program on TV. Some volunteers were blindfolded and their noses were plugged. They were given several foods, and were asked to identify them.
Guess what, none of them could identify a single food.
That was to demonstrate that no smell, no taste.
Perhaps I am asking a stupid question now - if we always ate with our noses plugged would we lose weight?  8)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Trebor

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:35:57 AM »

Exactly!

That's the hypothesis in my question.

Denise

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 10:10:24 AM »

My dad's sense of smell is totally shot.  He didn't smell a dead rat in their pool room, but the smell was so strong I couldn't breathe.  He's still portly and has no trouble overeating.

Trebor

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:15:19 AM »

Okay, so we know that eating badly decayed rats will not create the appetite suppression response :)

But... If you are seriously not "tasting" it..zip, zero, nada... - isn't it flavorless?

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 02:17:09 AM »

But Denise, as the saying goes in my language, "the eyes also eat". Seeing foods also triggers the appetite, as you well know. Maybe seeing each particular food triggers the memory of how good it tastes, and that's what happens to your dad (possibly).
Why do chefs spend so much time toying with the look of the foods?

Which reminds me: there's also that theory that colors affect appetite. I remember an experiment of how the same food was placed on different color dishes.The dish color that people ate more from, was red and the color that people ate less from, was blue. Violet also had an appetite reducing effect. That would be why fast food restaurants are often decorated with the color red.

So, we could also start eating everything from blue plates.

Oh and I just did a websearch and look at this:
http://www.dietlight.com/colortherapyweightloss.htm

I think I'lle be painting my fridge blue, and the rest of the kitchen too  :lol: Or buying glasses with blue lenses ...
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

katep

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 07:49:21 AM »

Interesting question.

I've lost 12 pounds since April 1 because I haven't been able to taste or smell (started with some severe allergies whcih still haven't cleared up.). I can still overeat but I have no desire to! Dh and I have been out to eat several times since then, even buffets,  but I only eat normal amounts. I miss my smell and taste but I'm counting it as a blessing because it's really helping the ole weight loss department! I remember telling dh when I first got sick that weight loss would be effortless without smell and taste. So true.

I came across the Shangri-la info yesterday while reading a blog and knew Seth Roberts was on to something. When and if I get my senses back, I will practice the sd for life.

Oh... hi everyone! My name is Kate...  first post!  :D

tekayla

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:07:01 AM »

Welcome to the forum Kate

Kayla  :)
When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.
Harriet Beecher Stowe

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »

Very interesting:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/51/2/233

This article is about research suggesting that complete loss of smell causes weight gain, however, having a distorted sense of smell seems to cause weight loss.  Using Seth's theory this may be because a complete loss of the sense of smell reduces the variation of flavors since you only "taste" with your tongue, causing more flavors to have a uniform flavor, increasing the flavor calorie association. When the sense of smell is distorted weigh loss occurs because formerly familiar flavors are now changed and no longer closely associated with calores, therefore they would lower your setpoint.  Assuming the theory is correct, eventually the people with a distorted sense of smell would start to gain weight again once their bodies formed the new flavor-calorie associations.
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

begonia

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »

hey u guys....its me.....begonia.  I just wanted to let u know that i was taking the oil wrong...i was waiting two whole hours before i ate and waiting one hour before to take it...so now im going to do it correctly.....anywayz i do want to report that i am losing weight and im not snacking like i used to and dont crave alot of stuff like i used to....so im on my way...................im down about 4 pounds but its a start and im sure if i start taking it right like im supposed to......that i will eventually lose way more than that.    so here's to the shangri-la diet and im happy to say that its working for me....no doubt....so keep the faith people....latta.

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

Very interesting:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/51/2/233

This article is about research suggesting that complete loss of smell causes weight gain, however, having a distorted sense of smell seems to cause weight loss.  Using Seth's theory this may be because a complete loss of the sense of smell reduces the variation of flavors since you only "taste" with your tongue, causing more flavors to have a uniform flavor, increasing the flavor calorie association. When the sense of smell is distorted weigh loss occurs because formerly familiar flavors are now changed and no longer closely associated with calores, therefore they would lower your setpoint.  Assuming the theory is correct, eventually the people with a distorted sense of smell would start to gain weight again once their bodies formed the new flavor-calorie associations.

I think that you have a point.  All the more reason to save nosecllipping for those really tough plateaus!
I have heard several times too that people with no sense of smell are not neccessarily slim.

Jenn
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18