Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yo-Yo dieting can kill you

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yo-Yo dieting can kill you  (Read 7549 times)

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« on: April 10, 2007, 03:26:43 AM »

The following article was published today in The Daily Telegraph (Australia). 

By Fiona MacRae
April 10, 2007 12:00
Article from: 
THE world's largest study of weight loss has shown that diets do not work for the vast majority of slimmers and may even put lives at risk.
As Australia battles rising obesity in adults and children a US study has concluded that fad diets simply do not work and may leave dieters fatter that they were before.
The study has emerged as The Daily Telegraph today revealed students are snubbing healthy school canteen menus in favour of fast food bought outside school grounds. Read our story here
Last night, the US scientists behind the latest research the
More than two-thirds pile the pounds straight back on, raising the danger of heart attack, stroke and diabetes.
The researchers warned this type of yo-yo behaviour is linked to a host of health problems.
most thorough and comprehensive analysis of its kind said that dieting simply does not work.
The University of California researchers analysed the results of more than 30 studies involving thousands of slimmers.
Although the overview did not name specific weight loss plans, popular diets in recent years include the low carbohydrate, high protein Atkins diet and the GI diet, which is rich in slow-burning wholegrain carbohydrates.
Pooling the results of the various studies clearly showed that while people do lose weight initially, most quickly put all the pounds back on.
In fact, most people end up weighing more than they did to begin with.
Researcher Dr Traci Mann said: "You can initially lose 5 to 10 per cent of your weight on any number of diets.
"But after this honeymoon period, the weight comes back.
"We found that the majority of people regained all the weight, plus more. Sustained weight loss was found only in a small minority of participants, while complete weight regain was found in the majority."
Dr Mann's research showed that up to two-thirds of dieters put on all the weight they lose and more over a four to five-year period.
Half of those taking part in one study were more than 5kg heavier five years later, while dieters taking part in another study actually ended up heavier than other volunteers who hadn't tried to lose weight.
A four-year study into the health of 19,000 men revealed that most of those who put on weight had dieted in the years before the start of the study.
The analysis, published in the journal American Psychologist, concluded dieters may actually be damaging their health.
Research has shown the repeated rapid weight gain and loss associated with dieting can double the risk of death from heart disease, including heart attacks, and the risk of premature death in general.
Such yo-yo weight loss has also been linked to stroke and diabetes and shown to suppress the immune system, making the body more vulnerable to infection.
Dr Mann said: "We decided to dig up and analyse every study that followed people on diets for two to five years. We concluded most of them would have been better off not going on the diet at all.
"Their weight would have been pretty much the same, and their bodies would not suffer the wear and tear from losing weight and gaining it all back.
"The benefits of dieting are simply too small and the potential harms of dieting are too large for it to be recommended as a safe and effective treatment for obesity."
The psychologist, who advises would-be slimmers to swap calorie-controlled diets for a balanced diet coupled with regular exercise, added: "Exercise may well be the key factor leading to sustained weight loss.

conductor

Re: Yo-Yo dieting can kill you
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 06:58:05 AM »

Great post - thanks for sharing this. 

Sing to the Lord, all the earth.

Magpie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »

Conductor, I was in two minds about posting it.  It's depressing reading, but on the other hand, SLD is SO different to all the other weight loss approaches in its effect on your brain and set-point that I believe it is the solution.  Longer term? Well, we are all lab rats here, and time will tell...

jrenee25

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »

The good thing about SLD is that it is not really a diet.  You don't have to make any changes other than waiting an hour before/after you take ELOO or SW.  So it's not like we are depriving our bodies of any essential nutrients or starving ourselves.  If anything, my overall mental/physical health and physical appearance is improving (usually after a few weeks on a diet, I get sick, my hair gets dry and brittle, my skin gets dry and breaks out a lot, my moods are erratic, etc - the exact opposite has happened to me with SLD!)

Age 32, F, 5'6" started 3/26/07

Magpie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »

So it's not like we are depriving our bodies of any essential nutrients or starving ourselves.

And that's it, isn't it?  This article seems to suggest that depriving / starving yourself is exactly the wrong way to go about weight loss. 

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »

I have a theory it's low fat that's bad for dieters.

Hey, Magpie, never hesitate when you find an interesting article. I'd always rather hear true things that make me unhappy than untrue things that make me happy  :)
Running weight tally:

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:09:49 AM »

here's the Mann article:

http://mann.bol.ucla.edu/files/Diets_don't_work.pdf

I think it's about time Seth drops the "diet" word in SLD...
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Magpie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »

Pinkmug aren't you thorough - I just lazily copied from the on-line newspaper, but you dug up the real deal!  Thanks! I'd like to read it when I've got a bit of time.  It all makes you realise how many of us there are, struggling with weight issues, and how much unhappiness this is causing.
You are right about the "diet" bit of SLD - it is a misnomer.

jrenee25

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:55:16 AM »

I agree that the label "diet" is a misleading one for SLD.  My husband made an intresting comment last night: he told me that with every other diet I have ever been on during our marriage, by the time I hit the two week mark (where I am am at right now with SLD) I am a mess: I am grouchy and complain about not being able to think clearly; my hair and skin seem drier, and I usually have a cold or am sick with something else.  (Probably all due to the lack of needed nutrients!) 

Anyway, he told me that right now, I'm calmer and seem to be in better health than I have ever been on any diet he's seen me on.  Talk about validation!  It motivated me even more to stick with this.  Yay for SLD - thank you Seth!!!

Age 32, F, 5'6" started 3/26/07

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 03:34:16 AM »

Pinkmug aren't you thorough - I just lazily copied from the on-line newspaper,

You are right about the "diet" bit of SLD - it is a misnomer.

No... I'm not thorough... I read the article on a Brazilian website, so I looked at the sources to get something in English for the board, so I came across the original study. When I was going to make a post of it, I noticed it was the same you had already posted about  :lol:

Seth, please change the name to SL method or SL plan! The word diet will chicken out many possible overweight/obese ppl who might benefit from it! Ppl do notice these artices and frankly deep down inside everybody knows that diets don't work!

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

anacara

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »

Seth, please change the name to SL method or SL plan! The word diet will chicken out many possible overweight/obese ppl who might benefit from it! Ppl do notice these artices and frankly deep down inside everybody knows that diets don't work!

Yes please Seth - I second this!  A friend who reacted badly to my SLD enthusiasm told me she didn't want to hear about "yet another diet" (which just shows she hadn't been listening to me because I had never called it a diet - I think I had explicitly said "it's called the Shangri-La Diet but it isn't a diet"!).  I like Shangri-La Method like Pinkmug said and has been previously suggested.

Smoochvoula

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »

My friend told me the exact same thing. "Not another diet voula. We've had enough" but I dont understand! This method is the furthest thing away from a diet that i've ever seen in my life! This isn't a diet! This is a dosage! Two of these eloo a day and you'll lose weight. No, you can work out if you want to, not if you don't want to. Of course you can have that peice of cake, if you really want it. Yes, i am serious! Those are what all myconversations are like lately. All i know is that if this works for me, im getting everyone and thier mother on this "Dosage", and i can't WAIT to start preaching. YOU GO SEAN!
May the skinny be with you...Or me...The skinny should def. be with at least one of us.

<3<3 Voula <3<3
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18