Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Terry's Progress

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terry's Progress  (Read 21393 times)

pupster

Re: Terry's Progress
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 01:01:59 PM »

I am having the same type of problem.  I started out taking 4tbsp ELOO and didn't feel the appetite suppression so much, but had the deep sleep and waking up rested and energized.  But I wasn't losing weight, so I switched to 4tbsp of the sugar water and it just made me hungry.  So I switched to 2tbsp grapeseed oil.  Now I am taking 2 tbsp grapeseed oil either in the middle of the night or when I first wake up, and 1tbsp ELOO at 3:00pm.  I have only been doing this the last couple of days.  But I first started taking the oil May 30th.  I would at least like to get the sleep back - at least then I felt I was getting some kind of benefit. 

But I think I have been switching around too much, having ditto foods, and while watching how much I eat, I haven't been paying too much attention to what I eat.  Although I generally eat a healthy diet, I'm sure I've been having too much of high-calorie foods.

I do plan on hanging in there for a while and change only one thing at a time, so I can keep better track.  But it is frustrating hearing all these testimonials.  As one poster said, for every "AHA!" there is at least 1 lurker wondering why it's not working for them...

CarolS

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »

Have either of you read the book?  Just wondering because I am struggling with the same thing.  One day no problem next really hungry.  It appears from reading the book I am eating too much snacky food.  I can eat snacky food all day - chococate, chips, energy bars, whatever - it tastes the same every time and it makes me want more. 

So I still have too much snacky food in the house, but will shop differently from now on and buy in small quantities.  Also will try the crazy spicing and bland foods.  Actually looking forward to getting out of the rut of eating junk food every day.  I didn't that would be possible, but with the oil/sugar thing, it is.

So hang in there and try to find what works for you.

terry

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »

"Have either of you read the book?  Just wondering because I am struggling with the same thing.  One day no problem next really hungry.  It appears from reading the book I am eating too much snacky food.  I can eat snacky food all day - chococate, chips, energy bars, whatever - it tastes the same every time and it makes me want more."

Yes, Skinnycas.  I bought and read the book cover-to-cover after hearing Seth on Dennis Prager's radio show.  I've been doing the method (after reading the book) since May 14 except for those few days I posted about above.  I try different foods more than I use to and I do cook at home alot.  However, the amazing feeling of not wanting food AT ALL is what alot of the others talk about and what I've experienced those few times.  I'm just trying to figure out how to keep it!

Help, anyone?

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 05:21:05 AM »

Help, anyone?

I don't know if this is really help, but I'd like to make an observation here. It's not natural not to want anything. In fact, it's not pleasant. We usually lead ourselves through a day from one want to another; from a cup of coffee to a muffin to lunch to a cookie. Fulfilling a want is hugely pleasurable. Having no wants robs life of this pleasure.

There was a woman who posted here a few days ago, remember? She thought we'd all be envious of her because she's disliked or been indifferent to food all her life. Me, I felt sorry for her (skinny though she may be). She's never known the nearly obscene joy of a slathering a layer of cold butter on hot banana bread, or having her coffee with double cream, or a proper lazy Sunday breakfast fry up. Food is delight.

So here we have a simple mechanism to turn off appetite. Now what? What do we look forward to? How do we reward ourselves for mopping the kitchen floor? What little pleasures do we have to take the place of food?

I'm enormously grateful for this diet, and astonished at how easy it is. I like the side benefits and the fact that I'm enjoying different foods than I used to. It's going to take a long time to lose anywhere near the amount of weight I need to, and I'm okay with that. I'm more than okay, I'm thrilled.

But I'm so looking forward to the day I cut it back to a maintenance dose and get back a little bit of the old hedonist me.
Running weight tally:

pupster

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 07:56:17 AM »

Hi, yes I have read the book also.  I bought it after reading a SF Chronicle article about it.

I have realized that I have get to get my mind-set around this.  And not think of food as a reward or look forward to the satisfaction of a good blend of tastes and/or textures.  I do almost all of my own cooking (in fact I love to cook, which may pose a problem).  So alot of my situation will be based on changing my behavior and not plan meals ahead of time, make too much and have leftovers, etc.

Thanks for offering all the support.

terry

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 01:45:45 PM »

Thanks, Frenata, for your words.  It is good to be reminded of these things.  I guess I REALLY want to feel that disinterest in food again.  I had a taste of it (pardon the pun) and it was so amazing to have complete rest from my food obsession for a little while that I just can't wait to feel it again.  Having it stay for long periods of time as with some others would be bliss for me.

I'm not giving up.  I will experiment more with my dose, etc.  Even if it takes months before it stays with me fairly regularly, I will persevere.

Thanks, again, for responding to my call for help.

Terry

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »

You might want to try crazy spiicing in addition. Crazy spice the food you consider to be too much. For example, if 1 piece of X is fine but 2 pieces are too much (more than you would prefer to eat, in the best of all possible worlds), crazy spice the 2nd piece before you eat it.

terry

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 10:57:20 AM »

Eureka!  SLD effect is back in full-force this morning.  What a relief.  I took the advice from another thread on this board and took my Canola doses yesterday as soon as I awoke and just before I went to bed.  This morning, I couldn't even finish a cup of cottage cheese and tea for breakfast.

Also, I took Seth's advice and put some seasoning on my cottage cheese this morning.  It was only season salt which I'm very familiar with so, I'm not sure if that helped but, I've never had cottage cheese and season salt, combined, so maybe it did.  I'm in the process of purchasing unfamiliar spices to change some of my ditto foods as has been suggested to me several times in my struggles.  I guess I've been unwilling to change some of my old comfort foods so was resistant to the suggestions about it in the book and on this site.  I thought, 'what's the use of eating if it's just a bunch of strange tasting stuff?' 

I love the idea that Seth and someone else suggested about crazy spicing only half my portion of whatever food I'm having.  Then, I can still have some of my comfort food exactly the way I love it but, half the portion with help reduce my set point.  Great idea!

Thanks to Seth, the wonderful people on these boards, and canola oil!  All hail Shangri-la!

terry

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 10:39:48 AM »

Another day in Shangri-la.  After 6 weeks of wondering why the effect won't stay with me, switching my dose times to early morning and just before bed seems to have strengthened the SLD effect so much that I am free from compulsive overeating for the past two days.  Either that or, after 6 weeks of being on the oil or sugar-water, the effect has finally begun to stay with me all day, everyday.  Maybe I'm like the 7-week guy in the book?

Yesterday, I was free from compulsive thoughts over food all day.  Words can't fully describe what peace and freedom this gives a person like me.  I had a few bites of cottage cheese for breakfast and a was pretty full half way through lunch (but ate the rest of my veggies and meat anyway out of the clean-plate-club habit).  By dinner, I was averagely hungry and ate an average size dinner with a yogurt for dessert.  I was full and didn't want anything else but, of course, I did take my second dose of Canola before bed.

This morning, just my coffee has made me feel completely full.  I can't even ponder food.  OMG!
And, yes, I sleep better, too.  I have always been a very light sleeper awakening many times in the night and unable to go back to sleep many nights in a row.  Although I still wake up sometimes, I wake much less and go right back to sleep and feel rested every day.

Don't give up, people!  Overeaters Anonymous has helped me with certain things over the past 10 years but, couldn't relieve my compulsive food addiction.  A little oil twice a day and food is uninteresting to me.  I actually feel like I can only imagine normal people feel about food.  For me, it's an answer to much prayer (the begging and crying type).

Terry

splitbamboo

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 10:47:08 AM »

Thanks for the inspiring report. It is good to see someone hang on and make this work...

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 10:51:50 AM »

and for me, a data type of person, the fact that the effects took n=7 weeks to become clear is something to remember.

Marianna

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »

Paul--mix sugar and coconut oil in its firm state together and eat--wallah, frosting.  There is a frosting thread somewhere

terry

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 01:13:11 PM »

Yes.  That thread is called, "Frosting."  I was mixing the powdered sugar and coconut oil in it's liquid state then, putting in ice cube trays and hardening in the fridge.  It makes a soft candy-like textured cube that I was eating.

terry

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 01:18:51 PM »

Yes.  That thread is called, "Frosting."  I was mixing the powdered sugar and coconut oil in it's liquid state then, putting in ice cube trays and hardening in the fridge.  It makes a soft candy-like textured cube that I was eating.

Meant to add the link:  http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=1098.0

It's called, "Frosting?"  There is also more frosting discussion under the Coconut Oil thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18