Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Terry's Progress

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Terry's Progress  (Read 21394 times)

terry

Terry's Progress
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:29:40 PM »

Background on me, stats are 46 year woman, 5'5", now at 186 pounds (I started my own diet plan April 1 and have lost 15 pounds when I heard of SLD).  I am a person who has felt completely obsessed with food as far back as I can remember.  The only exception was when I was pregnant.  I was hungry but, nothing sounded good.  Pregnancy was such a relief from the constant battle of what I know I should eat and what I constantly want to eat.  I eat over emotions, good and bad and have yo-you'd most of my adult life (130-140# in high school, 120-150# up & down from 20 - 34 years old, then after pregnancy between 160-200# up & down from 35 'til now).  It's always been a struggle and as you can see, mostly up over the years.  I've tried Overeaters Anonymous with some success but, always feel starved when I'm losing weight.

I first heard Seth on Dennis Prager's radio show (the original taping) a few weeks ago and decided to try Seth's method of lowering my set point.  I still want to lose 56 more pounds so I bought Seth's book and charged ahead on May 5 with 400 calories of sugar water/canola oil daily intermittently and between meals, as instructed.  I realized very quickly that I had the gag factor to the oil (especially ELOO) so I switched to only sugar or fructose water.  Then I realized I'm sensitive to the sugar and can feel my blood sugar getting wacky so, I had to find a way to take the oil.

Thank God for all these posts as someone came up with the idea of putting the oil (Canola is completely flavorless to me) into a .5 liter water bottle with a little bit of sugar for pleasantness.  Shake before drinking and it goes down without gagging and no sugar buzz.  Eureka!  Within 2 days of 3 T. oil with a little sugar in water and food is MUCH less interesting and even somewhat repulsive.  I still get hungry and eat what I want but, nothing sounds all that great so I'm very selective and eat less when I do eat.

It reminds me of when I was pregnant with my son, hungry but, can't decide what I want because nothing sounds good.  The hormones completely take over during that process and that's what it's like.  Something other and bigger than me is helping me.

It was a relief for me while pregnant and it's a relief for me now.  I'm so grateful to Seth Roberts and all the folks who have posted here for ideas, support and even what doesn't work.  I gained a few pounds while experimenting with the sugar but those quickly left when switching to the oil.  I just want everyone to know that, even the yo-yo dieters and emotional eaters can find relief with this method.  It works!

I'll continue to post as time goes by and update my weightloss.  Because of what I had gained, I'm back to my 15 pound loss.  I'm convinced that will change very soon.

Victoria

Re: Terry's Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »

Hey, Terry, shake hands with your dieting twin sister!  I am 49, 5'8", and right now 198.6 (down via lowcarbing from a high of 212 last fall).  Your weight history mirrors mine exactly, as does your description of the feeling this diet causes.  I feel a little hungry, look in the fridge, and don't care to eat.  I love it.

Best of luck to you on your journey through Shangri La :D

terry

Terry's Progress, Update
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »

My appetite is still mostly suppressed most of the time.  But, I'm noticing a strange feeling after taking my second dose of oil.  I start to feel somewhat shaky and a little disoriented like I haven't eaten enough.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Calorie-wise, I'm eating enough especially with the oil calories but, I still feel funny.  It doesn't go away until I've had my next meal.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Calsunshine

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »

Hi, Terry
I felt that way this afternoon when I took my oil.  After the hour was up I had a small snack of yogurt and feel better now.
Good luck!
Calsunshine

terry

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 09:06:26 AM »

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.  The past day or two, I've been trying to eat a little bit more for lunch.  It hasn't happened, since.  Perhaps I really wasn't eating enough and was having the normal effects of that.

Good luck to you, too, Calsunshine!

terry

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:16:20 AM »

Today I'm a little discouraged.  It seems like I don't get the same appetite suppressing results day-to-day even when my dose stays the same.  I started 3 weeks ago with sugar water the first week then, switched to oil the last two weeks.  Some days I really feel the effects and other days, not so much.  On the not-so-much days, I eat normally, which is probably more than I should eat for my height.

I'm up a pound this morning  :?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the 15 pounds I quickly lost just before starting SLD?  When I started SLD, I began eating what I wanted instead of what I thought I should eat (between 1200-1800 cals. per day, mostly low glycemic).  At first I gained a few pounds, lost those, then gained this last pound back.  I'm considering giving up and going back on my food plan from before SLD.

Any suggestions?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »

I wouldn't worry abou the calories per day. But if you switch from low glycemic to high glycemic at the same time you start SLD, the diet will be less effective than if you had stayed with low glycemic.

terry

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »

I got discouraged last week due to the changing tides of my appetite.  As I stated, some days the oil/sugar seems to dash my appetite but, the next day, it's right back even though I keep everything the same with my doses.

Last Saturday, I stopped the method altogether as I seemed to be gaining from drinking all the oil.  Sunday, Monday, Tuesday I've been ravenous.  So today, Wednesday, I'm back on.  I've taken one dose and definitely feel the effects already.  I'm not sure why it seems like it works better some days and not others but, I guess some days of less appetite is better then ravenous every day.  I'm afraid to get on the scale as I'm sure I'm up a few pounds.  I'll weigh on the weekend when I've had a few more light eating days, he-he!

The method does work.  I can feel a change within a few hours.  I just can't understand why it won't stay with me day-after-day.  I'll keep posting if it helps others.

t.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:16:05 PM »

The oil lowers your set point. Not forever, not to zero; just to a new lower value. That's what reduces your appetite. When your weight gets down to your new set point, your appetite will return. And if you want to lower your set point more you need to turn to the Extra Credit chapter.

That being said, I don't think you will have gotten the maximum effect of the oil in a few weeks. My guess is that it will keep lowering your set point for months.

terry

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

Thanks, Seth.  I'll keep going.  It's obvious it IS working to reduce my appetite.  Maybe the appetite suppression will get more regular as time goes by.  I tend to be quick to judge.  I'll let the oil do it's work for a couple of months before I make further assessments and continue to keep posting my results.

It was great hearing you on Dennis Prager's Radio Show.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Terry

rick

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 02:04:42 PM »

Has Dennis Prager spoken of the diet lately? :?:  I wonder how successful he has been with it...

terry

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 03:06:55 PM »

Rick,

The original show aired around the second week in May.  I heard it as a repeat not long after, as well.  I have heard Dennis Prager briefly mention it since then but, not to the extent that he has talked about his personal progress.  He had already been doing the method for sometime before the original airing and he strongly believed in the method and was very interested in the scientific thought behind it.  You can look on dennisprager.com if you're interested in downloading the talk show.  He's one of my personal hero's for truth and clear thinking.

Good luck, t.

splitbamboo

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »

I keep wondering about people holding on to this. It's nice to hear Stephen M. going strong. I wonder about some posters to this forum that were very active a few weeks ago--are they just doin it and it is just working or...

terry

Re: Terry's Progress, finally losing
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »

I'm finally down another few pounds after struggling and regaining a few.   :P  And this has come without hunger, just a little tweeking and some soul searching.

After reading several other posts, especially Sarah's, I've finally realized with all my food/weight/body image issues, just suppressing my appetite isn't ALL I need to do.  I still need to try to eat well.  The method works.  It's just that I'm such a compulsive overeater, I still need to use some will power, good sense, etc., to adhere to the fact that I'm not as hungry.  It's taking me some time to adjust to my smaller portions without getting paranoid that I'm not going to starve with so little food.  As a security blanket, I keep a small bag of nuts with me wherever I go.  I've hardly indulged.

It's such a relearning process.  I went through a sad period of having to say good-bye to overeating.  It's been such a comfort over the years.  Now, it's not there.  I feel like someone who couldn't walk without using crutches.  Suddenly, I can walk without them but, I feel insecure and a little lost.  Like, now what?

I'm thrilled but, scared at the same time.  Again, thanks to all of you for your posts.  You keep me going.

Terry

terry

Re: Terry's Progress, HELP!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 12:13:34 PM »

Frustrated again.  I have been faithfully taking between 200-400 calories of oil or sugar water since May with the exception of a 2-3 day hiatus.  My appetite does seem somewhat suppressed as was proved to me during that short hiatus.  However, I seem to easily be able to override the effects most times, if I choose.  I have had two or three experiences of what others talk about, not being able to eat another bite after just a few bites and staying full for hours afterward.  But most times, I feel the same as before SLD, still having to use will power and other means to distract myself from overeating.  I am still fluctuating between the same 2-3 pounds.  Aack!  I wish that feeling of control would stay with me like others describe!  I've felt it, I just don't know how to keep it.

After I experience that wonderful SLD effect, I try the same exact thing the next day and it doesn't work the same.  I've read posts about switching things up so, I've tried raising my calorie dose, lowering my calorie dose, switching between oil and sugar water, staying with one for several days, and every combination I can think of.  The effect just doesn't seem to stay.

Anyone else having this problem?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18