Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Alternate Theory on Why SLD works

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternate Theory on Why SLD works  (Read 7218 times)

snaxion

Alternate Theory on Why SLD works
« on: March 16, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

I wonder if the real reason that you lose weight on SLD (at least with the EELO) is because the pure fat just satisfies your body so much that you eat less?  Maybe the body assumes more calories will be coming with the fat (like in normal food) and turns on the "satisfied" signal?  I noticed if I take the oil at night I actually seem to gain a little weight.  I dunno, I am no expert for sure. 

All I know is it works (for the short time I've been on it). That is the important thing.  My friends think I am an evil oil swiller tho. haha.

--Rob

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: Alternate Theory on Why SLD works
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:57:44 PM »

Years ago, I read a study where they fed a tube directly into the small intestine and inserted (at three different times) fat, carbs and protein. The only one that affected satiety was fat. So, yes, I do think that's a factor.

On the other hand, there's probably more to it than that. I do best when I follow orthodox SLD instructions to the letter. Like, watching the flavor-free window religiously. If fat were the entire secret, that wouldn't matter.

Anyhow...welcome, Rob!
Running weight tally:

snaxion

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:49:49 PM »

Thanks for the welcome!

The weird thing was I was secretly thinking of chugging olive oil on my own (so I think, I may have heard about it tangentially) but googled the practice and found a bunch of folks way ahead of me (as usual).

Just as an anecdote, I just got back from a pizza party. I could only bear to stuff down 1.5 slices.  Very strange for me.  Usually, I would be all over half a pie.

Can it be this easy? Am I really psyching out my hunger-hippo-campus-lobe?

I noticed it really helps to have a super-accurate scale.  I can drink a glass of water and the scale picks it up.

--Rob

Ann H

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 06:06:49 AM »

Keep it up snaxion! Sounds like it is working great for you and as long as you keep on keeping on, you'll likely lose quite a bit. Good luck! And enjoy surfing, you lucky bum!

dshack

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »

This sounds more salient than the standard theory to me- I eat a diet of 60-70% fat,30-40% protein, and negligible carbs, and I'm never hungry. The effectiveness of the sugar water still needs to be explained, though...

Juche

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »

Personally, I doubt it because some people have lost strictly with sugar water.

SaintD

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »

Thanks for the welcome!

The weird thing was I was secretly thinking of chugging olive oil on my own (so I think, I may have heard about it tangentially) but googled the practice and found a bunch of folks way ahead of me (as usual).

Just as an anecdote, I just got back from a pizza party. I could only bear to stuff down 1.5 slices.  Very strange for me.  Usually, I would be all over half a pie.

Can it be this easy? Am I really psyching out my hunger-hippo-campus-lobe?

I noticed it really helps to have a super-accurate scale.  I can drink a glass of water and the scale picks it up.

--Rob

The diet is just that easy, but you won't always have so much AS or being losing pounds quite so fast. You may average 1.1lb/week but it doesn't seem like many weeks are average. :)

Just keep it up.

RE: Fat Alone?
This is a natural question. If you are inclined to self experiment, you can test it.

If it was the fat alone, then people who messed up thier flavor free windows wouldn't have the problems they report. Some people have "ruined" a particular oil and lose AS with it. Some people do great on "Platinum Calories" (fat theory), others not so much.

Is the set-point/flavor theory exactly correct? I would say the data are good, but not convinving. However, it's a model that works and predicts ways to lose weight. So it may as well be true for practical purposes. Learned responses to stimulus are very powerful and just about every animal responds on a very deep level. Smell (the part of taste SLD is actaully concerned about) is hard wired deep into your brain. So it's not surprising that cutting out smell variables "hacks" our responses to food.

There is something to be said for the fat theory, but it doesn't work for everyone as well as the flavor free calories.

-D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18