Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Gastric Bypass

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gastric Bypass  (Read 26204 times)

mpq

• PA USA
Re: Gastric Bypass
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »

People considering gastric bypass go through a year of counseling before surgery. With the statistics showing the alarming rate of alcoholism I hope they start screening for it. They say that one of the main contributors to this is that they are substituting one addictive behavior for another. Drinking for eating. But after the surgery, alcohol is processed differently. It enters the blood stream almost immediately, instead of the usual process methods. So, not only do they drink more, because they can drink instead of eat, the effects are that much more pronounced. GB patients are told it is not reversible. But you can over eat, stretch the stomach, and gain back all the weight.
Shovelqueen, I'm glad your brother went the band route, and is doing so well with it. Sounds like it is more a tool than a drastic, permanent life change. With gastric bypass, even things like ibuprofen are banned, most arthritis medicines, anything that is hard on the stomach. Who knows what these people will need in the future.

Terio, you are absolutely correct. But I wish I had thought ahead. It is very normal for the two houses to borrow items back and forth, leave a note, etc. But I know now! It won't happen again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »

People considering gastric bypass go through a year of counseling before surgery. With the statistics showing the alarming rate of alcoholism I hope they start screening for it. They say that one of the main contributors to this is that they are substituting one addictive behavior for another. Drinking for eating. But after the surgery, alcohol is processed differently. It enters the blood stream almost immediately, instead of the usual process methods. So, not only do they drink more, because they can drink instead of eat, the effects are that much more pronounced. GB patients are told it is not reversible. But you can over eat, stretch the stomach, and gain back all the weight.
Shovelqueen, I'm glad your brother went the band route, and is doing so well with it. Sounds like it is more a tool than a drastic, permanent life change. With gastric bypass, even things like ibuprofen are banned, most arthritis medicines, anything that is hard on the stomach. Who knows what these people will need in the future.

Terio, you are absolutely correct. But I wish I had thought ahead. It is very normal for the two houses to borrow items back and forth, leave a note, etc. But I know now! It won't happen again.

The guy needs to go to Alcoholics Anonymous ... sigh.

As for gastric bypass, the failure rate scared me out of it, I'm so glad I found SLD.

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 07:17:18 AM »

He is in AA :(

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »

Oh dear how sad...

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »

He is in AA :(

I'm so sorry it isn't working for him.  I wish him the best.

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »

Thank you. It seems the only thing we can do now is just wait it out to see what happens.It's not that AA isn't working. He isn't trying. He likes to drink.

Polaroid Doll

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 07:33:57 PM »

I'm not a fan of any type of medical procedure for someone wanting simply to become 'skinny'. Weight loss surgery should be a last resort for those whose health is immediately threatened by their weight; for everyone else, the old fashioned methods (no matter how impatient we might be) should be the method of choice.

I had never heard the statistic about gastric bypass and alcoholism. However, there was one couple in my extended family who both had this done (husband and wife), and they were successful in losing weight. They promptly divorced one another, however. I don't know the true reason for it, but maybe it's another consideration to be made...

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »

Thought I would update you on my friend that had the gastric bypass with such terrible results. After he was fired from his job and sat around the house for 6 months without a license, which is the very worst for an alcoholic, nothing to do, a friend gave him a chance and hired him for a political job as head of transportation for the county we live in. Hasn't had a drink in almost a year, has his license back, his self respect back, and is very happy. Miracles do happen and prayers are answered.  :D

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »

That's really wonderful news. :D
Have arrived at the new Normal.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »

mpq that's great!!!