Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
first OTC Fat Blocker OK'd

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first OTC Fat Blocker OK'd  (Read 6783 times)

TwinkelToes

first OTC Fat Blocker OK'd
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:54:13 AM »

USA TODAY

FDA OKs first non-prescription diet pill
Updated 2/11/2007 9:58 AM ET  

The U.S. government has approved the first non-prescription diet pill to help fight the country's obesity epidemic as an advocacy group warned that the drug increases the risk of cancer.

By Randolph E. Schmid, AP Science Writer
WASHINGTON — The nation's ongoing battle against obesity has a new weapon — the first government-approved diet pill that can be bought without a prescription.
Intended only for people 18 and older, the drug, called alli, is a reduced-strength version of the prescription diet drug Xenical.

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday announced its approval of sales of the lower-dose drug without a prescription, with officials stressing that it needs to be used in combination with a diet and exercise program.

"Using this drug alone is unlikely to be beneficial," said Charles Ganley, FDA's director of non-prescription products.

The new drug will be sold by GlaxoSmithKline PLC and the company said it is expected to be in stores by summer. While the final price has not been determined, it is expected to be about $1- to $2-a-day. Xenical is made by Roche Holding AG.

While some dietary supplements make weight loss claims, Ganley said this is the first non-prescription drug approved by the agency for that purpose.

Ganley said in trials, for every 5 pounds people lost through diet and exercise, those using alli lost an added 2 to 3 pounds.

When taken with meals the drug — known generically as orlistat — blocks the absorption of about one-quarter of any fat consumed. That fat — about 150 to 200 calories worth — is passed out of the body in stools, which can be loose as a result. About half of patients in trials experienced gastrointestinal side effects.

The new drug would contain half the dose of Xenical prescription capsules.

Also, FDA said people who have had organ transplants should not take over-the-counter orlistat because of possible drug interactions. In addition, anyone taking blood thinning medicines or being treated for diabetes or thyroid disease should consult a physician before using orlistat, the agency said.

GSK Consumer health care, which will market the pill, said it chose the name alli — pronounced AL-eye — to indicate a partnership with consumers in their weight-loss efforts.

"We know that being overweight has many adverse consequences, including an increase in the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes," said Douglas Throckmorton, deputy director for the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

"OTC orlistat, along with diet and exercise, may aid overweight adults who seek to lose excess weight to improve their health," he said.

But Sidney M. Wolfe, director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group called the approval "the height of recklessness."

Wolfe said studies have associated the prescription version of the drug with precancerous lesions of the colon.

Wolfe had opposed the switch to over-the counter sale, calling the plan a "dangerous mistake in light of its marginal benefits, frequent coexistence of other diseases, common, bothersome adverse reactions, significant inhibition of absorption of fat soluble vitamins."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the release of this pill this is just another example of the gullibility of the American public and the grotesque cynicism of the FDA.  It will probably become the best-selling "patent medicine" of all time. I can just imagine the medically unsophisticated and desperate to  lose weight gobbling  these things  (and learning the hard way NOT to) in hopes that A PiLL will solve their weight problems.  But it will be great for the bottom line at GSK ! :x  and I guess that is all that matters to those in charge of the vast Medical Industrial Complex  running things now.  I simply cannot imagine that this stuff will be a wise thing for anyone to ingest in the long run.

JUst gimme my VCO and ELOO and leave  me alone in my happy little corner of the world.

"

andrea84

Re: first OTC Fat Blocker OK'd
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:51:44 AM »

I saw them talking about this on The View on friday, and Joy said that that's not good that it blocks 25% of fat.  She's Italian and has EVOO in lots of meals (and not foods fried in it), and she said that Italians know what they're talking about, that we need healthy fats b/c it keeps "your body lubricated."

More people making comments like this will help SLD be more accepted mainstream, no?

-Re-Started Oct. 30, 2008

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:10:22 AM »

"the release of this pill this is just another example of the gullibility of the American public and the grotesque cynicism of the FDA.  It will probably become the best-selling "patent medicine" of all time. I can just imagine the medically unsophisticated and desperate to  lose weight gobbling  these things  (and learning the hard way NOT to) in hopes that A PiLL will solve their weight problems.  But it will be great for the bottom line at GSK !   and I guess that is all that matters to those in charge of the vast Medical Industrial Complex  running things now.  I simply cannot imagine that this stuff will be a wise thing for anyone to ingest in the long run.

JUst gimme my VCO and ELOO and leave  me alone in my happy little corner of the world."

I was prescribed this medicine while I was doing Atkins and prescription medicine was putting on the pounds. The reason I do not take it now is because I do not eat enough fat to make the expense worth while. I do not consider myself "desperate" "gullible" 
or "medically unsophisticated. No pill solves all your weight problems, as SLD does not cure all, they are tools to aid.  I'm very happy that SLD is working so well for you. I've been on SLD since Nov and have lost 2 pounds, and I'm trying very hard to hang in there. Not all tools work for all people.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

TwinkelToes

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:09:22 AM »

"the release of this pill this is just another example of the gullibility of the American public and the grotesque cynicism of the FDA.  It will probably become the best-selling "patent medicine" of all time. I can just imagine the medically unsophisticated and desperate to  lose weight gobbling  these things  (and learning the hard way NOT to) in hopes that A PiLL will solve their weight problems.  But it will be great for the bottom line at GSK !   and I guess that is all that matters to those in charge of the vast Medical Industrial Complex  running things now.  I simply cannot imagine that this stuff will be a wise thing for anyone to ingest in the long run.

JUst gimme my VCO and ELOO and leave  me alone in my happy little corner of the world."

I was prescribed this medicine while I was doing Atkins and prescription medicine was putting on the pounds. The reason I do not take it now is because I do not eat enough fat to make the expense worth while. I do not consider myself "desperate" "gullible" 
or "medically unsophisticated. No pill solves all your weight problems, as SLD does not cure all, they are tools to aid.  I'm very happy that SLD is working so well for you. I've been on SLD since Nov and have lost 2 pounds, and I'm trying very hard to hang in there. Not all tools work for all people.

mpq--I am so sorry you felt  I sounded like I was condemning EVERYONE (as  "gullible" and "desperate" ) who uses some kind of "pharmaceutical aid" to help with weightloss or other health problems. My concerns are for those who are unwary or too-trusting and medically unsophisticated  who will  see the headlines and think they have found the Holy Grail of easy weightloss,  and damage their health with unsafe use of this product  (also see Sidney Wolfe's remarks)  I recall statements in magazines, including Womens' World where they glibly claim " eat all you want and lose weight" ( just do this  or that easy thing and you will have quick and easy weightloss.)  They seem to have one of those each week.  :(  Just watch what happens with this latest pill to go OTC--it will be hyped to the skies and hopeful people will run out and waste money on something they cant tolerate  without using caution  in their fat ingestion--which many are unwilling or unable  to do  And it is only a matter of time until WW  (and others) has a simple-minded article about Alli.  Many people dont read the fine "print" explaining the proper use of  weightloss programs, drugs and supplements and get into trouble as a result.

If you re-read my statement again, you will see that I thought I was referring to a certain type of person who will  latch onto Alli without becoming properly informed of its use.  Again, I'm truly  sorry if it sounded to you like I was including "everyone" who uses such an aid.  (In fact, I have friends right now who are on prescribed meds for appetite control and I certainly do not consider them desperate, gullible  or medically unsophisticated.  But I am sure you will agree that sadly,  many people do indeed fit into that category.)  Additionally, the remarks by Sidney Wolfe (who is a greatly respected scholar  in the field of  public health research) really do give me concerns about longterm use of OTC Zenical.

As an illustration of what I mean about misuse of a suppllement, I remember a joke from  years ago about the first highly-publicized "weightloss product" Metracal the meal replacement drink .  A woman walks into the doctors office and says to him, "Doc, this Metracal stuff is a total failure.  I want to sue--I've gained 10 pounds in the two weeks I've been on it."  The surprised doctor says, "My goodness, Mrs Jones, this is terrible.  Are you sure you are using it every day?"  "Oh yes, I drink a whole can of it after every meal!"  And this is what will probably happen to some trusting souls who see the headlines about Alli and think it offers them hope of quick weightloss without effort.

As for my own weightloss, it has been 5  pounds since last September--not a lot to brag about (and because of the holidays and a back problem resulting in inactivity, even that figure has bounced up and down on the scale a lot.  :cry:)  After all that time, why I stick to SLD is because it does help with AS and as a result, a hope of future weightloss even tho very slow.  (And because the people here at this forum are so helpful, full of creative ideas, kind, AND FUN--(especially Frenata and her wild sense of humor--when I need a smile, I hunt up one of her wryly honest  posts )

And about your own slow weightloss, as I often have to remind myself about mine, ANY loss (or even no loss) is sure better than any gain.   :lol:   Hang in there and hopefully someday you and I will be bragging about our success!

PS--I agree with you that not all plans work for everyone, even SLD--we each have our own  unique body chemistry and as is so often said here, what leads one person to success may not help the next.  I guess that makes human beings a lot like snowflakes (except that, alas,  we dont "melt".   :wink:  )

More PS--I think the line in your signature about says it all!!

TwinkelToes

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:23:27 AM »

Another added thought to my above remarks.  when I read a sad farewell from someone for whom SLD hasnt worked no matter how hard they have tried and are leaving the plan, I  never   think "oh well, that person is a failure"  (I myself have left other WL plans after all, as most memebrs here have)  Sometimes a person who cannot make one approach work will have great success with another  plan or even a diffferent way of doing the one they are using.  Many of us have found that "tweaking" SLD to our own unique needs makes it work  better for us.  I get good AS from SLD but a  back problem keeps me from exercising right  now and I have never lost weight (or controlled it)  on any eating (or non-eating ;) ) plan unless I have also been exercising!

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:30:50 AM »

Fair enough, Twinkletoes!

anacara

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »

Twinkletoes, I agree with you.  It sounds unhealthy and dangerous, and a cynical money making exercise.  It is also based on the tired old idea that fat makes you fat.

TalkingRat

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:19:01 PM »

I'm a bit worried about it, too, but from the perspective that it does not encourage people to eat the right kind of fat.  Even if people do eat the right kind of fat, if they take that pill, how will they get the essential fatty acids so many of us are deficient in? 

Since they don't have to change their habits, once they've lost the weight, they'd gain it back if they stopped taking the pill, wouldn't they?  -- Although, I suspect with this pill, they get unpleasant 'side effects' if they go overboard, so they may be learning better eating habits.  My local station said it would cost $12-$25 a week, so the cost may keep it from becoming the first choice.

mpg, maybe your VCO is working against you?   I was using refined CO, noseclipped, no hint of taste or smell.   I think some of us are super-sensers, not tasting or smelling it.  It does have a very distinctive mouth feel, and I think it's possible for such a distinctive sensation to become linked to the CO calories -- not for everyone, but for some of us.  Not everyone gets full AS from noseclipped smoothies, either.  I was using  CO for one of my two SLD doses, and it took a couple weeks before AS dropped below critical mass.   My hope is that once I'm at maintenance,  partial AS will be good enough and I can try out flavored oils like CO and EVOO again.  Meanwhile, I'm going to great lengths to not sense the ELOO I take.

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:44:46 AM »

Good morning TalkingRat!

The prescription fat blocker pill only blocks 1/3 of the fat intake. The over the counter pill is 1/2 of that dose.   One of the benefits of this pill is that if you eat a high fat meal, the consequences are very unpleasant. It is to be a detriment to high fat, as well as a blocker. If you have any kind of a life at all, you are not going to take this and eat high fat! :oops:
With twinkletoes, I objected to the labels I felt she was putting on those of us who have or will have tried this. She explained that I was wrong, and I am OK with that. The problem with forums is that there is no immediate post and response. I am sorry that I responded as I did. the wonderful thing about this forum is the cordial give and take of information, and I stepped out of that box. Very unusual for me. I'm an a laid back smiley person.
I am still working on my morning coffee, so am a little obtuse yet. ( Home from work because of a blizzard.) VCO? I love any and all suggestions to help me, so please explain.
Thanks for the post :D

TalkingRat

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »

The tv clip I caught was saying the OTC version cuts 1/4 of the fat.  Not wanting to get the 'side effect'  would be incentive to limit fat even more.  There is still a danger that people will 'make' their OTC pill Rx level, unsafely.

Off topic - sorry, mpq, I didn't see that you were quoting, felt your frustration coming through, and read that as your VCO.  My hunch is that for some of us, noseclipping does not entirely remove the calorie association of flavored oils.  We are likely the same ones who don't get much effect from noseclipping smoothies, either.  Others are so happy with flavored oils, so we try them, and our AS gradually falls off.  I've had a loss of AS with CO, EVOO, and cream in smoothies -- all noseclipped.  CO and cream have a distinctive mouth feel, but I didn't notice that with EVOO.  When I noseclip food, the smell gets stuck deep in my sinus cavities and removing clips after waiting 30 minutes, I still get a strong flavor whoosh!  I'm working on getting my AS back after taking a break for surgery, and I'm thinking about how I taste coffee in my mouth for more than an hour later, and just realized I get less taste sensation from ELOO if I chug compared to floating -- both pinched and rinsed, of course.   Sorry for the confusion.  I love your avatar!

TwinkelToes

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 07:18:15 PM »

Oh mpq, you dear smiley person, you dont owe me an appology--what I wrote  the first time could have been a lot clearer, and even tho I do worry about the release of this pill, I hope  there will be a number of people who will  use it correctly and  find it helpful--maybe even their HG.

One thing about it--and it may be why we all get a bit sensitive now and then--others  often make unfair and very unflattering  assumptions about people who are overweight. I dont know about you, but on occasion, someone has looked at my "dumpling" figure and treated me like I wasnt very bright.  (So then, I find it amusing to speak to them very slowly and carefully like I suspect they  might be a bit on the slow side--it works better than getting mad and leaves me feeling vindicated .)

Sort of reminds me of the time a young  kid in an auto parts store treated my dad like he was over the hill and after a bit of this, my father looked carefully into the guy's face and said  with a smile, "Sonny, I am retired, not retarded." in a calm, quiet voice.   (This resulted in a very embarrased and profuse apology)

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »

multimoe

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:22 AM »

(Quote from TwinkleToesFebruary 14,2007)
One thing about it--and it may be why we all get a bit sensitive now and then--others  often make unfair and very unflattering  assumptions about people who are overweight. I dont know about you, but on occasion, someone has looked at my "dumpling" figure and treated me like I wasnt very bright.  (So then, I find it amusing to speak to them very slowly and carefully like I suspect they  might be a bit on the slow side--it works better than getting mad and leaves me feeling vindicated .)

Sort of reminds me of the time a young  kid in an auto parts store treated my dad like he was over the hill and after a bit of this, my father looked carefully into the guy's face and said  with a smile, "Sonny, I am retired, not retarded." in a calm, quiet voice.   (This resulted in a very embarrased and profuse apology)
[/i][/i]

Quote from Willy Nelson:
"When you forgive your enemies, it messes up their heads."

TwinkelToes

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »

[
Quote from Willy Nelson:
"When you forgive your enemies, it messes up their heads."

Oh Trina, this is priceless.  And you have just quoted from one of my favorite Philosophers/Human Beings/Artists :lol: )

nimi

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »

My sister tried this drug to lose weight.  It was not fun.  She had to carry extra clothes with her because of "anal leakage."  EWWWW.  Not surprisingly she quit that plan.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18