Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hypoglycemia/diabetes

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hypoglycemia/diabetes  (Read 20512 times)

patrissimo

Hypoglycemia/diabetes
« on: December 31, 2006, 09:03:44 AM »

I've been on the diet a few days and loving it, my wife wants to try as well, but she is hypoglycemic.  We already have problems where she forgets to eat and gets really cranky, so I'm concerned about this "appetite suppressant" method of dieting.  Anyone out there had experience with this?  My tentative plan is to start w/ small doses of oil only, say 1/4 tbsp 2x/day and increase gradually if it's working.

Marianna

Re: Hypoglycemia/diabetes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:33:27 PM »

I am hypoglycemic as well as hypothyroid--I find SLD works well--I did the oil for a long time because I was afraid the SW would cause a problem with my hypoglycemia--now I use SW (but with fructose which is low GI) and am having decent appetite suppression--I just make sure to eat even a little if I am not hungry but beginning to feel lightheaded--a piece of fruit works great--

Marianna

popsta

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:40:09 AM »

Just something that I recall reading some time ago about stevia. Apart from the fact that it can be used as a sweetener, it has no effect on insulin levels and can actually be beneficial to those with diabetes. It's worth googling.

Terri

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:05:01 AM »

I have been using stevia in my green tea and love it. I read that stevia helps the pancreas be healthy. I am all for that as I have a family history of diabetes. Healthy pancreas=no diabetes!
Terri

akhdar

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »

I think that this would be beneficial for those with hypoglycemia as it *seems* to stabilise blood sugar.

Best,

Akh.

losing-it

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 05:51:31 AM »

patrissimo

I've been using stevia for a couple years, since I found out about it, to sweeten everything. Love it. Just about the only thing I use sugar for anymore on a regular basis is to make a kombucha (cultured tea beverage) brew -- the yeasts in kombucha eat the sugars before the brew is ready to be consumed. I've got a family history of diabetes, too, and am somewhat insulin resistant with the extra pounds, but had a check-up a few months ago -- no diabetes. Stevia reportedly increases glucose tolerance and inhibits glucose absorbtion. 

My husband, who has borderline type 2 diabetes, doesn't care for stevia (some folks don't), but for me, it has the same sort of sweet taste as sugar, especially the clear liquid stevia and the white granulated form. I like the clear liquid best, but carry a few packets with me in my purse for using at restaurants and when having tea at someone else's house. The powdered (greenish colored, from the powdered leaf) stevia doesn't dissolve quickly, and the dark liquid stevia is stronger, somewhat like brown sugar is to white sugar. The dark liquid stevia has more of a licorice-like aftertaste, but it is good, too, especially with deeply flavorful teas, like roiibos or tea with orange and clove flavor (like Constant Comment). The liquid, which comes with a dropper, for me, lasts a very, very long time, even though I use it every day...it's more economic than the granulated stevia in the packets, and easier to use, since stevia is about 30 X sweeter than sugar.

Stevia is another thing (besides "oil pulling" and manuka honey and other honey - antimicrobial) which helps prevent gum disease and tooth decay. I've sometimes put a few drops into my mouthwash. Powdered stevia can be made into a paste to soften skin and help acne - which I may try, as I have roseacea (adult acne) breakouts -- one going on now. Here are a couple sites with some health benefit and other information:

http://reid_j.tripod.com/stevia.htm

http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/stevia_faq.html

By the way, I read your blogs on SLD, and wondered what clementines were, since I'd never seen any. I looked them up on the internet, then finally found some last night at a local supermarket. I'd been looking for them unsuccessfully for about a week. Thanks for mentioning them on your site. Otherwise, I may not have ever tried them.

anticipating
the first taste of clementine—
auspicous new year

losing-it

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:52:08 AM »

losing-it, where do you get powdered Stevia?  I was able to find the clear liquid, and I love it!  But I'd like a more portable version to take with me to restaurants, etc.  I like iced tea, but I have to have it sweetened somehow.

I was surprised to see you hadn't had a clementine before.  I live on them in the winter!  :lol:

T-Vix

losing-it

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »

losing-it, where do you get powdered Stevia?  I was able to find the clear liquid, and I love it!  But I'd like a more portable version to take with me to restaurants, etc.  I like iced tea, but I have to have it sweetened somehow.

I was surprised to see you hadn't had a clementine before.  I live on them in the winter!  :lol:

T-Vix

I get stevia at the local Vitamin Shoppe. They carry the granulated (which is the portable version in packets), and the powdered (which I don't really use, but could in cooking if I every bake something, I guess -- but will use for facial), and the liquid. Locally or online. The granulated packets come in boxes (Stevia Plus is the Wisdom of the Ancients brand); also, Vitamin Shoppe has their own brand packaged in the store name by one of the major suppliers:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/en/query.jsp?q=stevia&intsource=main&x=49&y=21

The supermarket which I normally frequent doesn't carry them -- maybe that is because we live in "orange country, USA," and have so many orange varietes, but after searching here and there, I found them last night finally, by chance, at a Wal-Mart Marketplace which is new to the hood. If they carry them at the local Whole Foods (too from my home for everyday kind of shopping), I never noticed them -- but wouldn't have been able to differentiate them by looks from tangerines, which I also like. But clementines...ooh, la la!

neve

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »

I have low blood sugar problems too, and when I first started the diet I did have problems with getting shaky and not realizing why, since it wasn't accompanied by any kind of hunger. Then I'd realize, "Oh yeah, I haven't eaten in 4 hours...". I learned at those times to just have, say, half a piece of toast with a bit of peanut butter. That helped a lot, and didn't seem to change my AS.

My experience with trying SW was a total disaster; headaches, nausea, the whole works. I'd recommend she not do that.

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »

I'm hypoglycaemic and also doing SLD. I eat something small whenever I feel a hypoglycaemic attack coming on, regardless of whether or not I feel stomach hunger. I'm not willing or able to go about my day while feeling dizzy and sick, and nor should she. What SLD did for me was make it easier for me to eat only the food I needed (most of the time), rather than large amounts of things I shovelled in mindlessly and didn't actually need.

By the way, I use oil exclusively. If you're hypoglycaemic, taking sugar water on its own is just begging for a subsequent blood sugar crash.

BobP

• WILMAAAAA!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 12:14:13 PM »

Add me to the list.  I'm hypoglycemic too and I use oil for SLD.  My blood sugar has been stable; I find I am symptomatic much less frequently.   Fats digest slowly so drinking the oil has kept me on an even keel.  I agree with neve and flickad though; I'd have her avoid the sugar water. 

thorsmistress

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:03:23 AM »

I'm am also hypoglycemic, but I have the added problem of not being able to tolerate oils.  I have medication that I take when I get to much oil or greasy foods in my system and will have to be on it the rest of my life here on earth.  Lucky me huh?

I'd rather take the risk of a sugar crash than to be in the "library" all day and get dehydrated that way. 

I'll keep everyone posted on how the sugar water is working for me.  I may have to reduce the amount of sugar and just do a few more cups during the day.  I'm finding that I want to do a cup of SW about the time I would normally do a snack which falls into the time frame allowed.

Which brings me to a question, I keep reading about this two hour window.  According to the book, it is either one hour before you eat (actually a bit more than just an hour, maybe  an hour and fifteen minutes) or an hour after you have eaten or had something with flavor in it. My understanding is it isn't both and yet that is how some of you are interpreting this.  Am I wrong in what I read and understood?

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »

the 2 hour window is indeed both 1 hour before and 1 hour after
not
one or the other

This also means if you take a half hour to drink your sugar water, total flavorless time is 2 1/2 hours from start to finish.

The reason is that you want to give your stomach time to digest your flavorless calories without any flavor messing it up.
You don't want to take the chance that your stomach will associate any flavor with your sugar water.

Good Luck!
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

thorsmistress

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »

I'm still very confused, the book says if I plan to eat from 12:30 to 1:30, I need to do the oil or SW by 11:30 or wait till 2:30 to take it. I can't give you the page at the moment as I'm at work, the books at home. Now I understand that doing the SW takes longer than the oil.  so, in my minds math, if I start the sugar water at say 9 am and it takes me 30 minutes to drink it, I can't do flavor until 10:30, which is an hour and a half.  It doesn't say that I cant have any flavor from 8 to 10:30, where am I misreading this if  you are saying it is two hours.  I don't have that kind of time with my busy schedule.  I can do the hour and a half, most days.  I'm doing the hour and a half and I seem to doing OK, granted I just started this but I'm losing weight and I'm not hungry.  I even passed up muffins this morning in lieu of fruit ( and I never passed up blueberry muffins before)

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »

Page 53 paperback edition, says---
Quote:
Rule 2. Take the oil at least an hour away from food and any flavors
More precisely, you should take it in the middle of a food-free, flavor-free two-hour window.......Other than the requirement to take the oil at least an hour before and at least an hour after any food or flavors, the time of day doesn't matter
end Quote

On the other hand, if it is working the way you are doing it, good for you!  as the saying goes:  Why fix it if it ain't broken
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18