Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
From FIRST: Losing Belly Fat with MUFAs (olive oil) & 5-HTP for Carb Cravings

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From FIRST: Losing Belly Fat with MUFAs (olive oil) & 5-HTP for Carb Cravings  (Read 8531 times)

losing-it

In reading posts, and experiencing it myself when beginning SLD, women using olive oil or other MUFAs as their SLD method sometimes report feeling lighter weight, or better-fitting into their current clothes, especially pants, almost immediately. With the first pounds lost on SLD, I had commented on my food-log that I actually felt lighter. I noticed my belly was flatter than it had been on the previous 2 months of low-calorie dieting. Recently, I was enlightened to read why this is the case, while reading the following [excerpt] from "Nutrition Know-How" (by Ann Louse Gittleman, Ph.D.) in First for Women magazine, January 1, 2007, "Why Do I Lose Everywhere Except My Belly?"

The Dr.'s reply:

"You may have heard that the key to losing abdominal fat is eating more fat. And the latest studies show that eating a specific type of fat called monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) helps women shed stubborn belly fat while maintaining the waist-to-hip ratio that's considered most attractive (with the waist about 70 percent smaller than the hips). This healthy fat reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which, in high amounts, triggers the accumulation of abdominal fat. The best MUFA sources are olive oil and macadamia nut oil, which you can add to salads or soups or use for grilling and stir frying."

Of course, us SLD'rs who are imbibing daily doses of ELOO or other MUFA's are not just adding it to salads and stir-fries. :) Since the beginning of December, when I started SLD, my tummy continues to be flatter than when fatter and almost as "flat" as when working through daily exercising along with low-fat dieting upon reaching about a 30 lb loss a few years ago. Of course, exercising the abs gives a much better muscle tone and strength for back and torso, but it is still great seeing less tummy fat just through slugging the MUFAs each day.

Another tip in the "Nutrition Know-How " section advises taking the amino acid 5-HTP (which the body converts to seratonin, which it lacks during winter) in order to overcome winter cravings for starchy carbs -- comfort foods. One 50 mg tablet 2X daily or up to 4 X for "maximum crave fighting power."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:35:16 AM by losing-it »

mpq

• PA USA

Did the article tell you how much OO daily? I do SW, but would try to add OO to my diet!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

losing-it

Did the article tell you how much OO daily? I do SW, but would try to add OO to my diet!

No, mpq. That was the extent of that subject in the magazine. But figure Olive Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil and most of the other oils used on SLD have 120 calories per (USA) Tablespoon (15 mL). I would think that at least 1 - 2 Tablespoons daily would work, consumed either as part of your SLD calories, or as part of your diet, such as making your own salad dressing or other means. I take 3 Tbs oil (now all at one sitting) and sometimes add about 1/2 tsp sugar, or some stevia for sweetness stirred into about 1/8 cup water to cut the taste (the Flax Seed oil I use has a linseed oil taste to it, for me). You might try adding the oil to your sugar water, especially if you drink it warm, like a tea. ??

Terri

Losing-it, That was a good article. Thanks for sharing. It gives us one more reason to keep on SLD. Thanks again!
Terri
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18