Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Ultimate FAQ Answer Guide

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ultimate FAQ Answer Guide  (Read 61995 times)

losing-it

Re: How about an SLD GUIDE TO ABBREVIATIONS for Newbies, Timmmmmyboy?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 04:13:59 PM »

Another newbie had posted a question on abbreviations, and questions on them come up often. I've not gone thorugh all the postings and topics, perhaps there is already a FAQ page dedicated to them? If not, Timmmmmyboy, you did a great job on the Ultimate FAQ's....

losing-it

That's a good idea, I thought the same thing when I saw that thread. I'll probably add on to this with a question about abbreviations although I don't claim to always know them all. ELOO, EVOO, AS, SLD, ....and that's about all I'm sure about. Maybe others could post here if they think of any more of them.

I might also add the question about tickers to this with a link to the guide for setting one up.

Here is the thread link where the discussion got started. Members could post their abbreviations there, too whenever, and you could collect them? (Other abbreviations I've seen, besides, SW (sugar water): one I think stands for Dear Hubby/husband = DH, but I'm not entirely sure. And BF, for Boy Friend/boyfriend.)

http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=3483.0

twist

Re: The Ultimate FAQ Answer Guide
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »

But, you're calling us crazy metric system users!?!? Hah! WE are right, YOU are crazy. The future is metric  :)

Haha, too right, I've never known anything BUT metric.  But they're right, how crazy is it to have all measurement units synchronized in denominations of ten for easy calculations, as opposed to "how many yards in a mile, how many ounces in a pound? etc..." :lol:  I guess some people prefer to take the more difficult route and work their math skills.

weight loss at a snail's pace is for keeps!!!

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 03:43:26 PM »

But, you're calling us crazy metric system users!?!? Hah! WE are right, YOU are crazy. The future is metric  :)

Haha, too right, I've never known anything BUT metric.  But they're right, how crazy is it to have all measurement units synchronized in denominations of ten for easy calculations, as opposed to "how many yards in a mile, how many ounces in a pound? etc..." :lol:  I guess some people prefer to take the more difficult route and work their math skills.
I grew up with the imperial system until my country converted to the metric system in my early adulthood in the 1970s.  While I now think naturally in metric for some things (eg, temperatures, driving speeds, fluid volumes), I'm still stuck with thinking more naturally in imperial for some other things, such as distances in miles, and personal measurements like feet/inches and stones/pounds -- which is why I keep my ticker in pounds (also in line with the overwhelming practice on this board) rather than kilos, despite coming from a metric country.  But what a lot of time we spent in primary school practising to add/subtract/multiply/divide hierarchically-expressed quantities like yards/feet/inches or stones/pounds/ounces (although it probably made us much more adept at manual arithmetic) -- not to mention the time wasted on arcane measurement units like bushels, hundredweights, short tons, long tons, chains, links, rods, poles and perches!

As far as I know, you can still buy things like imperial spanners and nuts and bolts to use on US-derived or pre-metric equipment.  Apart from that, the antiquated imperial system is totally out of public life.

But has the conversion been worth the minor inconvenience to "in-betweeners" like yours truly?  Absolutely!

French Cat

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »

Come back Pinkmug ! your are metric
... and it's much easier to calculate your BMI in kg and meters : weight / square size
mine is 70 kg / (1.6 m)2 = 27.3
Metric rules  :)

there's another abreviation, TOM stands for time of month, you know just after PMS .... :mrgreen:

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 05:06:13 PM »

... and it's much easier to calculate your BMI in kg and meters : weight / square size

there's another abreviation, TOM stands for time of month, you know just after PMS .... :mrgreen:

Oh French Cat,
  Here in Quebec we are metric too, but growing up, we were also used to measuring with the imperial system.  And I measure everything differently depending on what it is.
Speed on the highway: is in Km/hr
distance: KM
bodyweight : LBS
height :feet and inches
AGE...years (ha ha)
cooking...cups and teaspoons etc...but weight in food, grams

It is a mix  :D

Thanks again for sharing your Hot SW idea with me  I know that Seth had mentioned it first  but I guess coming from a Chic Frenchwoman it had greater influence! :D
It replaces my morning café au lait.

merci  pour ta bonne ideé!

Jenn

Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

popsta

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 07:19:32 PM »

We are metric over here as TT has explained, and this is what I grew up with. However, when it comes to weight loss, pounds show up much better than kilos...I would rather lose 1 pound than 1/2 a kilo! Don't worry I don't sit there doing conversions every time I weigh myself!!! My scale has both lbs & kgs  :)

Lony

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 07:57:25 AM »

Thank you so much for this!  Great summary, Timmy. 

lvivianka

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »

This is a good printout to carry with you and to give out (making sure they buy the book, also) :D

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »

May I add a question to this guide, and hopefully you can post the answer for me. Ditto Foods, what exactly is a ditto food, and how often must you eat this for it to become a ditto food. Daily, every other day? Or just because it tastes the same each time you eat it, wether its once a week or once a month, it is a ditto food?Would hot oatmeal be considered a ditto food? It's not precooked, so not that processed..? :( I like hot cereal on these Pennsylvania winters!)
Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

andrea84

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »

Oh French Cat,
  Here in Quebec we are metric too, but growing up, we were also used to measuring with the imperial system.  And I measure everything differently depending on what it is.
AGE...years (ha ha)

that's the same for me, Jenn, and I'm in BC.  Too, when I'm guesstimating how far something is, I don't say "oh, it's about 2 meters" i say "oh, it's about 6 feet"

-Re-Started Oct. 30, 2008

timmmmyboy

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 10:12:04 AM »

May I add a question to this guide, and hopefully you can post the answer for me. Ditto Foods, what exactly is a ditto food, and how often must you eat this for it to become a ditto food. Daily, every other day? Or just because it tastes the same each time you eat it, wether its once a week or once a month, it is a ditto food?Would hot oatmeal be considered a ditto food? It's not precooked, so not that processed..? :( I like hot cereal on these Pennsylvania winters!)
Thanks!

I've added some general info on ditto foods. For your specific question regarding how often I would say it varies but if you go to take a bite of oatmeal and you know "exactly" what it will taste like before you take that bite, it's probably becoming a ditto food. You could change up your oatmeal easily with different spices or different types of fruit in it each time.

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 08:15:14 AM »

Timmyboy,
You did an excellent job on this guide. Thank You for all that time and effort!
 :D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

MASHaholic

• "The mind is a powerful tool if allowed to be..."
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »

Great information. I think this falls under for those too new to ask... I needed to stumble across this in my search.
"The force is definately strong in this one..."
Start Date 02/22/07 Male 41 years old 6'2" 270 lbs

One Day at a Time...

grisabella

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 09:30:29 AM »

Oh French Cat,
AGE...years (ha ha)

Thanks again for sharing your Hot SW idea with me  I know that Seth had mentioned it first  but I guess coming from a Chic Frenchwoman it had greater influence! :D
It replaces my morning café au lait.
   CHER[E] FRENCH CAT: WOULD YOU MIND REPEATING THIS HOT SW IDEA??? THERE ARE MORE SW METRIC FANS OUT THERE WAITING TO BECOME WISER AND THINNER!!!!!!! MERCI EN AVANCE !!!!!! GRISABELLA

merci  pour ta bonne ideé!

Jenn

Join me in the Phentramin support group!

jrenee25

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this comprehensive collection of FAQs.  I was really unsure on a lot of stuff (I just started today!) but it cleared up almost all of my questions.  I appreciate it! :)

Age 32, F, 5'6" started 3/26/07
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18