Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Dee's Progress -- or lack thereof!!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dee's Progress -- or lack thereof!!!  (Read 10990 times)

mjohnson121

Re: Dee's Progress -- or lack thereof!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »

Dee, what is your workout schedule? Is it possible you are "overtraining"? I know that when I do a medium length run (6 miles), and run hard, it ramps my appetite (see my progress update regarding the hunger experienced afterwards).

Depending on how hard/often you are working out, I wonder what would happen (appetite-wise) if you cut back your workouts 25-50% (either by number of workouts or by intensity) and continued with the diet? Seems worth trying for 1-2 weeks.

-Mark
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:02:30 AM by mjohnson121 »

GeriC

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 10:03:56 AM »

Dee - Your BMI is 19.7, well within the healthy range.  Do you include protein at each meal?  Not sure what would cause that hunger unless your weight really is too low.  Wonder what Seth has to say about that?

Dee

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:58 PM »

My workout schedule is pretty reasonable.  I have been a runner for about 10 years.  I run four days a week anywhere from 3 to 4 miles.  Same with weights.  To be perfectly honest with myself (something that isn't always easy when I consider my relationship with food), I probably consume closer to 3,000 calories -- rather than 2,000 calories -- per day.  I certainly do not want to, nor need to, consume any more.  I do get more than enough protein and am acutely aware that I need to eat protein with every meal/snack or I will stay hungry and continue to eat.  My blood sugar also rises (then drops) if I eat a snack or a meal where no protein is involved.  That is likely why the sugar water is not at all effective for me. 

I guess I am an anomoly when it comes to this diet.  Perhaps I may be at what my body considers my ideal set point, but my appetite (and, as a result, calorie consumption) is still out of control.  There are a lot of people out there that can't seem to lose that last 5 or 10 pounds.  Maybe it is because they are at their set point.  It will be interesting to see...

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »

In one set of experiments, the researchers found that rats became fat only if they could taste their food -- but even when they could not taste their food, they still maintained their weight at a slim level. In other words, tasteless food will only take you down to a certain level. Dee, you may be below that level.

Dee

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 08:47:08 AM »

Hi all

Day 17:  I thought I'd check in and post what has been happening since I reached the two-week mark.  I was disappointed I had not noticed any diminishing of appetite or cravings, but Seth said to give it at least two weeks.  As a refresher, I am a woman who is likely close to her ideal set point, and some of us have speculated that that may be why it has not been working for me.  I was really hoping for some diminishment of appetite since I tend to take in about twice as many calories as I need on a daily basis.

After I hit the two-week mark, lo and behold, I did notice a lessening in my appetite.  Not a huge difference like a lot of you have experienced.  I certainly have not forgotten to eat or anything like that; but on occasions when I would normally be ravenous, I find I am only mildly hungry and can resist some of my incessant snacking.  During the first two weeks, since my appetite had not diminished, I was eating the same amount as usual plus the extra calories/fat from the oil, so I had gained about 3 pounds.  This week, with the small suppression of appetite, those extra pounds have come off.

So I will press on.  If all I get out of this experience is some appetite suppression, which triggers me to eat a reasonable amount of food for my height and weight, I am one happy camper.  I know there are a few of you in my shoes who were not having any luck.  My advice:  Press on.  It would appear, at least in my case, the closer you are to your set point, the longer it takes before you see any benefit.

mjohnson121

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 11:08:27 AM »

Very interesting! I sure hope you keep us updated as time goes on as it will be fascinating to see what happens.

-Mark

jc

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 02:48:35 PM »

This is really very interesting. Please Dee, keep us updated whenever you find the time.

GilbertZ

• DiamondRing.com
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 02:31:45 AM »

If you are feeling a ravenous hunger, something is causing that. Could you have blood sugar issues?

Although setpoint is probably 90-99% of the weight issue America is having, there are other factors too. As Seth has confirmed, you may be at a healthy setpoint.

P.S. Working out does induce hunger. At least for me.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »

Very interesting! I sure hope you keep us updated as time goes on as it will be fascinating to see what happens.

-Mark

I really want to read more too!

Dee

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 09:24:43 AM »

Hi All

I thought I would give you all a week 3 update.  Someone suggested having an area of the forum where those of us who are not having the typical responses/results could compare lifestyles and see what the commonalities are that seem to serve as roadblocks.  I think that would be a great idea.  It's important to know who the diet works for as well as who it may not work for.

I am indeed in week 3, and not much has changed since week 2.  I have a small blunting of appetite, but nothing monumental like many of you.  That really is the only effect of this diet I can report, except lethargy.  My insomnia at bedtime is gone.  However, I am lethargic throughout the day.  The following is a list of the effects I don't have compared to most of you:

I don't get that overly full feeling, like I'm stuffed
I'm not eating smaller portions
I have yet to feel like I want to skip a meal (or 'forget' to eat)
I don't have a lessening of cravings

From reading others' experiences who also have not been very successful, I have some thoughts on what seems to be common to that minority.  Now, whether this is true or not, I have no idea.  I'm not a professional; I'm just playing one on the Internet.

Near our ideal set point
Don't eat much or any junk food
Exercise moderately to intensely
Only have a few pounds to lose (the last few are always the toughest)

Like I said, those are just thoughts.  Nothing concrete.  I am grateful to have some blunting of appetite.  This keeps me from snacking the entire day, but I wish I would have a lessening of cravings and a little more appetite suppression.  I do plan to continue and am enjoying watching all of you have great success.

Dee

leslee

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40:41 AM »

Well Dee I am in the same boat -I am starting week 3 -  I woke up this morn.  excited to step on that scale I was so sure  my weight would to be down but- no -  My food intake is way way down so doesn't make sense to me. So I am trying to change it up. I do have 35lbs to loose and do exercise (not over the top) Right now I take 3tlb of oil 3times a day. I have tried taking 2tbl at a time but it made not difference in my appetite. This week I am noticing my blood sugar is not geat and my energy level is down.  I am not snacking at all in the evening and my craving for sugar is gone -that alone is fabulous.  Seth made a comment about decreasing the oil so  I am going to try that and add some protien snacks back in.  Just seems like us humans are the resistant ones -oh to be a rat!

Miller

• Our Lips are SLD blog
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »

Hi All

I thought I would give you all a week 3 update.  Someone suggested having an area of the forum where those of us who are not having the typical responses/results could compare lifestyles and see what the commonalities are that seem to serve as roadblocks.  I think that would be a great idea.  It's important to know who the diet works for as well as who it may not work for.

I am indeed in week 3, and not much has changed since week 2.  I have a small blunting of appetite, but nothing monumental like many of you.  That really is the only effect of this diet I can report, except lethargy.  My insomnia at bedtime is gone.  However, I am lethargic throughout the day.  The following is a list of the effects I don't have compared to most of you:

I don't get that overly full feeling, like I'm stuffed
I'm not eating smaller portions
I have yet to feel like I want to skip a meal (or 'forget' to eat)
I don't have a lessening of cravings

From reading others' experiences who also have not been very successful, I have some thoughts on what seems to be common to that minority.  Now, whether this is true or not, I have no idea.  I'm not a professional; I'm just playing one on the Internet.

Near our ideal set point
Don't eat much or any junk food
Exercise moderately to intensely
Only have a few pounds to lose (the last few are always the toughest)

Like I said, those are just thoughts.  Nothing concrete.  I am grateful to have some blunting of appetite.  This keeps me from snacking the entire day, but I wish I would have a lessening of cravings and a little more appetite suppression.  I do plan to continue and am enjoying watching all of you have great success.

Dee

You said you eat way too many calories.

But yet you said also you don't want to lose weight.  I take that to mean that your weight is stable.

You're certainly not eating too many calories if your weight is low and stable.

As for cravings, it may be that you are eating the wrong things.  Maybe you are craving fats or carbs or proteins, and that is why you have cravings.

These are just guesses, since I have no personal experience with being at a low, stable weight, at least not in the last 10 years.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18