Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Will's Progress

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will's Progress  (Read 5812 times)

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
Will's Progress
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »

I am a 30 year old 6' 1.5" male, weighing around 300 lbs - BMI ~ 39.  I have been overweight my entire life, but have had a couple of occasions where I lost significant amounts of weight (20-40lbs) and achieved "normal weight" by calorie restriction and exercise.  I have over the last two years, thanks to a lack of exercise and poor diet, gained about 60 lbs and have reached a very unhappy point.  My cholesterol level was high (226 I think) and my PA recommended I work on losing weight.  Paying a bit more attention to nutrition got me down to about 300 (from around 312).  Now I am trying the Shangri-La diet because it seemed to be well suited to my needs and simple enough to follow.

Regimen - I have only been on the diet for 2 days now so there isn't much to report.  I use 2 tbsp of the Smart Balance oil in the morning and I occasionally use a tbsp of sugar in water in the afternoon or evening.  I have noticed a decrease in hunger (and a bizarre "full" feeling even when I haven't eaten).  I am generally skipping breakfast and just doing the oil in the morning instead then having a regular somewhat healthy lunch and dinner.  I also have sleep issues, so I am working on that simultaneously (and hence the no breakfast per a suggestion from Seth), and once that gets corrected I am hoping to exercise in the mornings before work.

Technique - I tend to have a gag response to the oil and thus have closed my nose when swallowing the oil and chased it with water.  Tomorrow I think I might try the oil/water mixed that some on the forum have suggested and see how that works for me.  If the gagging really starts bothering me I might switch to sugar water(sw) more exclusively.

Publicity - I have told my close friends and family about the diet.  They tend to think I am crazy and that the diet is a bad idea.  I will ignore them, but I would recommend to others that they don't mention the diet to their friends/family for at least a few weeks (a month?).  That way if it doesn't work for you nobody will be able to say "I told you so" and if it does work, well they should be asking you what you are doing right so you can tell them!

Goals-
  • Short term I would like to lose the 50 lbs. over the next 5-7 months.
  • Long term I would like to get my BMI in the "good" range and thus need to get down to around 190 lbs.
Having said that I would be elated to get back to my lowest weight in High School - 217.  Assuming my calculations are accurate I should be able to weigh 200 lbs and be only 15% fat... I'll worry about those final numbers when I get to 225 and see how I look and feel.  :D
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

cjewell

Re: Will's Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »

Hi Will,
You sound really focused. Good for you. Can't wait to read your progress. Try a small amount of sugar water (1/4c. water w/ 1/4teaspoon sugar) as a chaser after you drink the oil. This really worked for me. After the second day of the oil I didn't think I could face it again until I started doing this. Now I don't even think about it. I hope you see immediate results but if you don't stick with it. It took me four days to feel like things were happening. Good luck.
Cindy

Denise

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »

I agree about the publicity.  I haven't told anyone.  I just imagine the looks I'd get!  Then I think, hey, if this does work and I start looking noticably thinner and they ask, the look's going to be completely different--and hilarious.  :D

mjohnson121

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »

Everyone is different but personally the SmartBalance oil makes me gag everytime (ok, twice and it's a brand new bottle) that I've tried it, whereas grapeseed and ELOO go down relatively easily (if I drink water before and right after, then no real problems at all)...just something to consider if the SmartBalance continues to cause gagging.

-Mark

Will

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:33:15 PM »

cjewell - sugar water chaser sounds like a good idea.  I will try that.

mjohnson121 - Thanks for the tip about the SmartBalance oil.  I might try ELOO again if I don't get over the gagging.  I suspect it is just unfamiliarity and eventually I will get used to it.  :roll:

The scale hinted that I might have lost a pound or two.  We'll see if it lasts. :)

mjohnson121

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »

Yah, it'll be interesting to see if you get used to the SmartBalance...doesn't seem possible for me! :)

-Mark

Will

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »

I think I have gotten used to the Smart Balance.  I took 3tbsp yesterday and didn't really have any issues. 

I stopped putting my measuring spoon at the back of my throat, that seems to have been what was causing me to gag a bit. :roll:

I haven't weighed myself yet this week, but I can tell I am eating somewhat less.  Sugar water seems to be a bit more effective for me surprisingly although I plan to continue using both. 

I will weigh tonight to see if I have lost any more weight.  Even if I haven't I won't give up any time soon.  I can tell the diet ideas have some effect,  it just may take a while for a more prominent effect for me since my set point seems somewhat stubborn.  I might even try the "unknown territory" and push my flavorless calories beyond the ~400 calorie threshhold for a little while just to see if it forces the effect to be more pronounced.  I often take a multi-vitamin with my first dose of oil just to be on the safe side.

Will

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:26:28 PM »

I took 2tbsp of oil and a tbsp of Sugar and then ate the leftovers from last night's dinner that I couldn't eat for lunch (Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta, YUM).  I added a couple of extra spices to the leftovers to alter the taste a bit so hopefully it won't raise my set point significantly.  I also brought a banana to work to have with my lunch, but I am actually too full to eat it.  I am going to take my last "dose" of the day (3tbsp of sugar in a liter of water) over the next hour.

I forgot to weigh myself last night or this morning, so I have no idea how much weight I might have lost.  I'm not too concerned about a specific number so much as the trend and I can certainly tell that I get full faster now and I am eating less so I will probably wait till tonight or tomorrow to actually see what I weigh now.

Wonderwoman

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:42:23 AM »

Hi there :)
I'm using safflower oil and so far it hasn't bothered me at all. We need some store to sell an "oil sampler" LOL so we can try different varieties and choose the most innocuous one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18