I am a 30 year old 6' 1.5" male, weighing around 300 lbs - BMI ~ 39. I have been overweight my entire life, but have had a couple of occasions where I lost significant amounts of weight (20-40lbs) and achieved "normal weight" by calorie restriction and exercise. I have over the last two years, thanks to a lack of exercise and poor diet, gained about 60 lbs and have reached a very unhappy point. My cholesterol level was high (226 I think) and my PA recommended I work on losing weight. Paying a bit more attention to nutrition got me down to about 300 (from around 312). Now I am trying the Shangri-La diet because it seemed to be well suited to my needs and simple enough to follow.Regimen
- I have only been on the diet for 2 days now so there isn't much to report. I use 2 tbsp of the Smart Balance oil in the morning and I occasionally use a tbsp of sugar in water in the afternoon or evening. I have noticed a decrease in hunger (and a bizarre "full" feeling even when I haven't eaten). I am generally skipping breakfast and just doing the oil in the morning instead then having a regular somewhat healthy lunch and dinner. I also have sleep issues, so I am working on that simultaneously (and hence the no breakfast per a suggestion from Seth), and once that gets corrected I am hoping to exercise in the mornings before work.Technique
- I tend to have a gag response to the oil and thus have closed my nose when swallowing the oil and chased it with water. Tomorrow I think I might try the oil/water mixed that some on the forum have suggested and see how that works for me. If the gagging really starts bothering me I might switch to sugar water(sw) more exclusively.Publicity
- I have told my close friends and family about the diet. They tend to think I am crazy and that the diet is a bad idea. I will ignore them, but I would recommend to others that they don't mention the diet to their friends/family for at least a few weeks (a month?). Th
at way if it doesn't work for you nobody will be able to say "I told you so" and if it does work, well they should be asking you what you are doing right so you can tell them!Goals
- Short term I would like to lose the 50 lbs. over the next 5-7 months.
- Long term I would like to get my BMI in the "good" range and thus need to get down to around 190 lbs.
Having said that I would be elated to get back to my lowest weight in High School - 217. Assuming my calculations are accurate I should be able to weigh 200 lbs and be only 15% fat... I'll worry about those final numbers when I get to 225 and see how I look and feel.