Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Antidepressants and Weight Loss

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antidepressants and Weight Loss  (Read 32833 times)

VeganKitten

Re: Antidepressants and Weight Loss
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

"sanity vs. vanity"  :lol:

I can relate.

As a vegan I don't do fish oil, but flaxseed for sure. And the herbs rhodiola rosea and ashwagandha ... adding these adaptogenic herbs to my daily regimen has allowed me to ***very slowly*** wean off the Zoloft a bit. I have to be careful, I've tried cutting down slowly before and ran into trouble. But it's going very well this time around. And I'm not trying to cut it out entirely, just lower the dose somewhat.

I have to say, I would rather be obese than be as depressed as I once was. Very happy I can be both slim and sound in mind. ;)

joeyramonesgirl

• www.joeyramonesgirl.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »

Hi All! I'm new, but I have to give my two cents.

I've been taking Lexapro for 2 1/2 months and I gained 10 lbs! The reason was, was because I was hungry all the time. Then my shrink uped it to 20 mgs and, in addition to being hungry, I was tired. So I went down to 10 mgs and I'm fine, but I think I need to switch meds.

He did say to me that I might gain weight, but I might not (really helpful, I know). But anyway, for me, I did gain weight.
Picture is from www.joeyramone.com. I do not get money off of it, so please don't sue me!

Gabba Gabba Hey!

SondraC

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »

I just started and I've been taking Cymbalta for 3 years and my weight has gone down from 185 to 160.  I also just started taking Chantix and wondered how that might effect weight loss on this diet.  I'm very vigilant about the program and losing 30 pounds.  Anyone have answers? :lol:

August

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »

The whole process of quitting smoking, which is why I assume your are taking Chantix will tempt you to eat more.  SLD might help mitigate this; I found SLD well after I quit smoking. 

But Chantix can make you feel very, very depressed.  Use it just long enough to quit, and make sure you don't make any important life decisions until you get that stuff out of your bloodstream.

If, on the other hand, psychiatrists are actually prescribing Chantix as an anti-depressant, well, that would be most detrimental now wouldn't it?  Almost like they are trying to increase the suicide rate rather than mitigate it. 

peazazz

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »

I have been on Wellbutrin for about two years and it didn't seem to help with AS, although I wish it would have. Fortunately it didn't cause any weight gain either   :D

rockysoundtrack

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 08:17:13 AM »

When I started on 20mg Paxil I gained 20 pounds FAST!

Then when I upped it to 40mg I started shaking all day long and so dropped the weight.  :shock:

I've been off it for over a year, but I still feel weird sometimes, like part of my brain is still scrambled. And my head buzzes all the time, with waves of electric pressure that flow around my entire head. Not painful, but a bit disturbing.

I do not reccomend Paxil!  :P

peazazz

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

When I started on 20mg Paxil I gained 20 pounds FAST!

Then when I upped it to 40mg I started shaking all day long and so dropped the weight.  :shock:

I've been off it for over a year, but I still feel weird sometimes, like part of my brain is still scrambled. And my head buzzes all the time, with waves of electric pressure that flow around my entire head. Not painful, but a bit disturbing.

I do not reccomend Paxil!  :P

I noticed the same thing on a high dose of Wellbutrin as well- the shaky scrambled feeling and it made it really hard to think straight at times. I am on a much lower dose now which is a lot better. Maybe your dose it too high?

lemur2

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

I took Zoloft for a few months in the 90s but did not notice any weight gain.

Lately I've read some interesting articles by a biologist named Ray Peat.  He says SSRIs are linked to cancer and are stressful metabolically:

http://www.raypeat.com

BlueMorrissey

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »

I have not had any weight issues with anti-depressants over the years, but twice have taken Zyprexa for bipolar disorder and it caused large gains in weight.  This past time was 60 lbs in half a year.  It causes uncontrollable night eating, mainly chips, desserts and other crappy carbs.  I have recently changed drugs and have seen the difference.  I'm beginning the SLD again, without the worry of being sabotaged.  The main factor was late night snacking in the middle of the night.  Not being able to stop thinking about food late at night, even waking in the early hours to just stuff my face with sugars and carbs.  I'm confident with SLD and going off Zyprexa I can surely melt off this pudge i'm living with.  It really affects my social anxiety and I look forward to the day when another worry falls by the wayside.  I will keep this website updated on my progress.  Beginning weight at 285 6'2", 39 years old.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18