Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Antidepressants and Weight Loss

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Antidepressants and Weight Loss  (Read 32314 times)

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
Antidepressants and Weight Loss
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:55:14 PM »

Many people, for one reason or another, are taking antidepressants. SSRIs are a class of antidepressants that can cause weight gain and can interfere with weight loss.

SSRI medications include:
citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Emocal, Sepram, Seropram)
escitalopram oxalate (Lexapro, Cipralex, Esertia)
fluoxetine (Prozac, Fontex, Seromex, Seronil, Sarafem, Fluctin (EUR))
fluvoxamine maleate (Luvox, Faverin)
paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat, Aropax, Deroxat)
sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral, Serlain)
dapoxetine (no known trade name)

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Thought_Disorders/schizo/articles/weight_gain.asp

"It may well be that patients could have avoided or reduced the weight gain if they had implemented appropriate nutritional and physical activity lifestyle changes," he said.

"Before prescribing such a drug, the physician should discuss the potential risks of weight gain, and attempt to minimize it by recommending appropriate lifestyle changes," Dr. Blonde added. ...

"But it shouldn't be given in isolation. Patients should understand that the benefits of taking the medication may far exceed the risks of weight gain. For patients who already are overweight, there may be alternative medicines that do not seem to be associated with weight gain." ...

Likewise, possible weight gain should not discourage patients from taking needed drugs.

"Raise the issue with your doctor," Dr. Fernstrom added. "Say that you are concerned about weight gain as a side effect and ask if there are other medications available. If the drug of choice is the only option, and you do notice weight gain, you can make some lifestyle changes."

http://www.ocfoundation.org/organizedchaos/articles/Organized-Chaos-V001/Organized-Chaos-V001_02.php

The SSRI medications used to treat OCD are more likely to cause weight gain than other classes of antidepressants. Some SSRIs are more likely to cause weight gain than others. One research group assessed weight changes in patients randomly assigned to long-term treatment with Fluoxetine (Prozac), Sertraline (Zoloft), or Paroxetine (Paxil). They found that the number of patients with 7% weight gain from baseline was significantly greater for Paxil-treated compared with either Prozac-treated or Zoloft-treated patients. ...

There are ways to offset weight gain by following some simple, but tried and true methods.

First, keep in mind that you need fewer calories after you start medication if your metabolism is slowed. If you do not lower food intake, you may gain weight. Adopting a healthy diet, with a focus on lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and heart healthy monounsaturated fats like olive and canola oils, is one way to start. Be careful not to eat huge amounts of food at a sitting. Most restaurants give you 3-4 times a suggested serving size. Learn to order sensibly when eating out. Ask for dressings and sauces on the side avoid fried and fatty foods, and order grilled, baked or poached entrees such as chicken, pork tenderloin, and fish.

Exercise is an important factor in preventing weight gain. Cardiorespiratory exercise (i.e. aerobics, walking, biking, jogging) and resistance training (i.e. lifting weights, using resistance bands and tubes) are both equally important. Cardio exercise increases the heart rate and helps to promote improved cardiac fitness. In addition to burning calories and raising metabolism, resistance training helps to build lean muscle. This in turn can cause increased metabolism and decrease in the body's ratio of fat to lean muscle mass.

Combining proper nutrition with cardiorespiratory exercise and resistance training helps prevent weight gain and other health-related ailments. It also increase energy levels which can offset some of the sedative effects of medications. The effects of exercise generate improvements in self-esteem and positive well-being.

I never gained weight with Paxil until after my accident in August 2003. I had been on Paxil since summer of 2002. Before the accident I was very active. I was in the National Guard, so I had to constantly work at making sure I could pass the PT test. I never was an athlete, so I had to keep myself going so I could just pass the sucker. I also never ate fast food and cooked a lot from scratch, with the emphasis on veggies and fruits. I maintained my weight well.

After my accident I started gaining weight--went from 155 to 200. I was very sedentary. I was extremely fatigued (a side effect of the BI) and really craved carbs. Bad combination.

I started to work on my fatigue & weight in October of 2004 by bike riding and watching carbs. I gained another 20 pounds. In October 2005 I started calorie restriction. I did lose 16 pounds by the time I started SLD, but I was beginning to regain weight because I was tired of fighting my body.

Now I know why I was fighting my body.

If you decide to ask your pshrink if you can go off OR switch to another antidepressent that's not a SSRI, you need to be aware of discontinuation syndrome. Another fun thing they don't tell you about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome

When I was going off my Paxil, it was absolutely horrid when I got down to 5mg. The plan was to take 10mg for 7 days, 5mg for 7 and done. (20mg was my daily dose.)

I really thought that I was racing back into major depression. I was extremely irritable altnernating with crying jags, hand tremors, suidicidal idealation...all of the fun stuff that precipitated going on Paxil, except 100% worse (and I didnít have hand tremors before). It wasn't until I started researching medications that I learned about discontinuation syndrome. I went on Wellbutrin at the end of the last week of the step down and that helped. After a week off of Paxil all of the symptoms of the syndrome went away except the hand tremors. We'll see how long I have to deal with that.

I really liked my pshrink (he left the area), but if I ever meet up wiith him I will fart in his general direction. My family practice guy (the one who worked with me to step me down off the meds) earns a part of that as well. And I get a part of that because I was the stubborn one who was mad because the person who I was comfortable with left the area and I was too lazy to search up at UIHC for another pshrink.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: Antidepressants and Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »

Hey, it's not easy pshrink shopping. It's the luck of the draw. You never know when you'll land one of the really, really crazy ones.

Call me fussy, but I insist that my mental health professional be saner than I am.
Running weight tally:

SILENT

• STARTING DATE 09/27/06
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:41:18 PM »

Hey, it's not easy pshrink shopping. It's the luck of the draw. You never know when you'll land one of the really, really crazy ones.

Call me fussy, but I insist that my mental health professional be saner than I am.

Oh i am trying so hard not to answer this post  ROFL

"I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"

terio

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »

I've been taking Wellbutrin for years, but stopped last year around this time and felt fine - for a while.  I think that I was off it for about 4 month and in that time I gained 5 lbs.  After I went back on I did the South Beach Diet and lost those 5 lbs. rather easily.  Recently I delayed refiling my Rx and didn't take the Wellbutrin for about a week and a half.  My appetite supression went away and I gained about 3 - 4 pounds.  Since I have been back on it my weight is going down again. 

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 08:16:14 PM »

According to most of what I read and our local psychopharmacist here on the board Wellbutrin is weight neutral. But I think you're the second person who posted that they gained weight after they discontinued it (unless that was you in another thread).

??

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

terio

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 09:34:38 PM »

Yup, that was me in another thread.  I have heard of people losing weight on Wellbutrin.  In fact there was a story on the Today show about off label uses of drugs and one that they mentioned was Wellbutrin for weight loss.  I, unfortunately did not experience that when I first started, but perhaps it does help with my AS.

kdiva78

• Waiting for my AS to kick in
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 08:07:37 PM »

I was on Lexapro for almost a year and I gained twenty lbs faster than I ever had ever. Now I am struggling to lose the weight. In high school I was about 160lbs, at 21 I was 170lb at 25 I was 175-180,  then at 26 after I began taking Lexapro and in 8 months  had ballooned up to 206lbs. When I went on lexapro the Dr. told me that it was the anti-depressant that was least likey to cause weight gain. Boy was she wrong! Now I am finally back down to 206lbs and am longing to get back down under 200lbs.

That's my story.

begonia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »

hey im taking zoloft and i havent noticed any weight gain...not at all.   have been on it for about two months...

cookie3

• Restarted SLD 12/02/06
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 04:25:07 AM »

I've been taking Fluoxetine (PROZAC) since my car accident way back in 1995...My Dr. kept taking me off it and then putting me back on it......now he justs jiggles my dosage around.........After I first went on it, I too started gaining weight and couldn't understand why.......my PCP kept telling me to keep my mouth shut more, in other words stopping eating everything........I wish that had been the problem........Before all this I was 145lbs.........5 yrs. ago I topped off at 284 and I have been slowly struggling with getting this damn weight off....I joined WW and at one point had lost 62 1/2 lbs. but my meds got adjusted again so that I could deal with issues at work and 14 lbs of the weight came back on.......then I found SLD --- I've only been on it maybe 3 - 4 weeks and I've had some success and hope that it continues...........I now take 40 mgs. of the Fluoxetine and my "mood" seems to have leveled off..........I've told my Dr. many times that I don't feel right when he takes me off......I've tried Celexa but had quite a bad allergic reaction to it........and actually Fluoxetine seems to work really well for me...until I don't get this weight off I prefer
to stay right where I am with my meds.............................As I think back when I first went on this medicine it seemed that it
suppressed my appetite and then everytime ithe dosage was increasd it would suppress it for a while.

other25beforeyou

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »

Hi, new to the forum, though I've browsed it a number of times.

Part of the reason I am starting SLD is that since I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I have gained around 30 pounds.  My psychiatrist thinks it's because I am on both lithium and seroquel, two medications known for causing weight gain.  The only thing is, I don't want to change my medications because they are the cocktail that seems to work for me, and it took a while to get there.   I am hoping SLD can help me get my weight under control. 

My brother has been doing SLD for about a year and has lost more than 100 lbs.  I've been trying it on and off for a few months, but it's been hard because I seldom go two hours while awake without smoking a cigarette.  At my brothers suggestion, I've now started setting an alarm during the night (i try to get it so it won't be during REM cycles) and just have it set up for when i wake up, down it, and go back to sleep.  So far, it seems to be working!

Sorry, this post is longer than i meant it to be...

VeganKitten

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »

Hi all,
I believe Zoloft influenced my weight gain ... I had a major depressive episode at age 18, my normal weight then was around 130. I was put on Zoloft, and gradually gained about 60 pounds, over the course of about 7 years. I had to work really hard to lose it, and now I'm working on those last 5 pounds.

I'm still on Zoloft (long term treatment seems to work best for my brain) but I wonder sometimes if I'd be skinnier without it. Probably.

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:02:14 AM »

Well I have never been on anti-depressants, but know people that take them.  There are many different brands and formulas out there.  Wellbutrin is noted for low side effects, but of course, if you have one that works....Use it !   Being a higher weight and functional is better than being slimmer and depressed.  I have seen how much depression can ruin your life...I don't think that overweight is as horrible...even though ya, we look less great in our clothes when we are slimmer, but being in a mental state of not being able to feel "normal"....I think is by far much much worse than not being able to fit into tight jeans :D

I think that if the anti-depressants or meds are causing weight gain...it is probably because of a change in appetite (pills dont cause us usually to store fat) they just cause us to crave more and eat more.   Shangri-la can certainly attempt to rectify that situation.  I wish you the best of luck.  And there is a wealth of support on this forum...just being here is good for the soul!
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

wildrover

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »

Hi, new to the forum, though I've browsed it a number of times.

Part of the reason I am starting SLD is that since I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I have gained around 30 pounds.  My psychiatrist thinks it's because I am on both lithium and seroquel, two medications known for causing weight gain.  The only thing is, I don't want to change my medications because they are the cocktail that seems to work for me, and it took a while to get there.   I am hoping SLD can help me get my weight under control. 

My brother has been doing SLD for about a year and has lost more than 100 lbs.  I've been trying it on and off for a few months, but it's been hard because I seldom go two hours while awake without smoking a cigarette.  At my brothers suggestion, I've now started setting an alarm during the night (i try to get it so it won't be during REM cycles) and just have it set up for when i wake up, down it, and go back to sleep.  So far, it seems to be working!

Sorry, this post is longer than i meant it to be...

I, too, was diagnosed with bipolar (type ii though) at one point, just depression now, and my opinion is that you should definitely stay on meds that work.  The old "sanity vs. vanity" debate.  It's really a hassle changing meds a lot, and that was a lot more disruptive to my life than weight gain ever was.  I've taken a number of meds, and as far as weight goes, Zoloft didn't affect me much.  Depakote, (not an antidepressant) which I believe was poorly prescribed, caused me to never feel full, and working in a restaurant combined to make a bad combo weight-wise.  I've been on Wellbutrin for a few years now, and it hasn't done anything for weight loss, although I have heard from quite a few people that is kills appetite.  I've also added Lexapro since, and it hasn't really caused me to gain too much weight (although I have gained some on my own), but I think that if it wasn't combined with the Wellbutrin it definitely could.
I strive to be objective in my posts, and enjoy playing devil's advocate.  Please don't take anything I say personally.

wildrover

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:59 AM »

When I went on lexapro the Dr. told me that it was the anti-depressant that was least likey to cause weight gain.

I was also told the same thing.  Also that it has the lowest incidence of sexual side effects.
I strive to be objective in my posts, and enjoy playing devil's advocate.  Please don't take anything I say personally.

terio

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »

I strongly recommend fish oil for mood enhancement.  There have been lots of studies showing that one of the omega 3s in fish oil, EPA, can be very effective for treating mood disorders.  It works just as well for me as the Wellbutrin that I had been taking without the side effects (anxiety) that I experienced with the prescription medication.
There is a lot of information at this website:  http://fattyacidtrip.com/
From my reading there it seems that you want to try to get at least 1000 mg of EPA per day.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18