Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul  (Read 89463 times)

David

• David's Shangri-La Diet Saga
Re: tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2007, 01:15:15 AM »

lol.  I think it's fantastic when people are telling you to slow down the weight loss! 

I've been thinking about your Jelly Belly feeling before the big weight loss.  This is something that I get as well, but never really explicitly thought about it.  I think I'll be focussing on this over the next few months and see if it really does pre-empt a big drop in weight.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

Well, the inner brat detected last week's 3 pound loss, and immediately started whining.  I spent 3 days moderately overeating (yet not going over 2000 cals/day), and gained a whopping 4 pounds!  It took me the remainder of the week to get it back to ground zero.  Of course, the brat was PMSing, so I guess it's to be expected.  I'm also at a stubborn setpoint for me.  I've spent tons of time at 145.  So I'm not expecting a loss next week either.  But I'm very OK with it.  I didn't even freak out at the 4 pounds earlier this week.  I just went "hmpf" and applied myself a little harder.  Tonight I return to the land of the reindeer food that distracted me so much last month.  I think I need to tell myself "no treats" tonight.  I'd like to get a good start on next week and maybe post a small loss.

I'm starting what I consider "phase two" of this adventure.  Now that the weight is pretty much off, it's time to work into some regular exercise.  I know that this needs to be a gradual buildup, or I will crash and burn.  I've already been doing yoga once a week at work.  Now I've committed to doing a half hour treadmill workout twice a week in the morning at work.  I have a treadmill at home, but by the time I get home and get dinner fixed and dishes done, take kids to whatever sport they are doing and back, it's usually after 9:00.  That's no time to start working out.  So it's going to have to be at work if I'm going to make it a habit.  I had no trouble getting in a nice workout twice this week.  After a month of being consistent about it, I'll add another day each week.  Eventually, I'd like to be doing it every workday.  Fingers crossed ....

On a funny note, I had to show my driver's license the other night when I paid for something with my credit card.  I just noticed that my weight matches what my license says for the first time in, oh, say 20 years?!!!  :lol:

T-Vix

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »

I'm so happy for you! Would you be willing to post a before and after photo?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

tek_vixen

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »

You're right, mpq.  I do need to post before and after photos.  I know there are instructions somewhere on these boards .....

T-Vix

tek_vixen

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

Forgot to update last week.  My venture into the land of the reindeer food went ok.  I got away with one small handful of M&Ms and a small slice of cake.  But the genie was loose for the weekend.  I over-carbed (total junk, not just carbs), and added 6 pounds over the weekend.  Funny, though, it didn't affect the way my clothes fit.  Ordinarily 6 pounds would send me to the next size up unless my clothes were loose, which they aren't.  My ankles disappeared for two whole weeks.  About 3.5 pounds came off before last week's weigh-in, and the rest came off this week.  I didn't gain this weekend, even though I over-carbed last Friday night.  But it was Mexican food, so it wasn't total junk like I had eaten the week before.  I think a lot of the water weight was in my limbs.  I had to get up five times to pee in the middle of the night last night, and was rewarded this morning with a whoosh back to my previous low of 145.

Incorporating more exercise is going reasonably well.  I'm going to have to get my second workout for the week in tomorrow because I was surprised by an early meeting this morning which kept me from working out.  But to compensate, I actually went to the second yoga class of the week at lunch time.  This is a first for me!  It is a harder class, and nearly killed me, but I did it and I feel a sense of accomplishment in doing so.  I've also done yoga dvd's the last two weekends at home.  I'm getting there.

Weekends seem to be my toughest time.  I've noticed that I'm not as good about drinking my water on the weekend as I was in the beginning.  So that's what I focused on during the 4-day weekend I had last week.  It seemed to help quite a bit with the hunger and cravings.  I'm also noticing that what I think of as true hunger often goes away if I can distract myself for about 20 minutes.  It's annoying but it seems to work.

T-Vix

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2007, 11:06:12 AM »

Hi T-Vix!!  I feel like I haven't "talked" to you forever!  You sound like you're doing great!  You can tell you're getting to a truly low weight given how your appetite and cravings pop back in there on you. Isn't it amazing how self-regulating our bodies are?  Well, amazing and sometimes highly irritating, ha.  I had a stomach virus over the weekend and was very aware of how my body knows how to take care of itself - when it needs food, and when it most definitely does NOT.  I'm finally hungry again today and pretty much eating what I'm hungry for - that's been one of the coolest parts of SLD, how much more tuned in to listening to our bodies we all end up being.  Are you still enjoying your new clothes?  Going out at all?  I hope you're enjoying your tiny-ness!  sammie

tek_vixen

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »

I know what you mean, sammie!  I've been away from the forums for more significant periods of time recently.  Yesterday I had 3 pages of unread postings when I logged in.  I can't seem to decide whether to just play around with maintenance or go for those last four pounds.  Part of me is really happy with where I am, but the other part wants the numbers, damnit!   :lol:  I've been ignoring everything pretty much this week.  It's been really stressful.  Friday night my 15 yo ds clogged the toilet without leaving any evidence, and his little sis went and flushed!  There was about an inch of water in the bathroom (upstairs of course) and a lovely waterfall into my kitchen through the ceiling.  Sigh!  The next day my ex-MIL died, which was expected, but stressful nonetheless.  So my control has been somewhat out the window the past few days.  But I'm focused on the exercise aspect, so even though my weight is pretty steady, I'm getting slightly smaller.  My 6's are getting baggy - almost to the point of needing 4's.  I'll deal with that later when things settle down.

Friday night is date night, so I'm going to get all dressed up and paint the town red!

T-Vix

tek_vixen

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2007, 03:43:27 PM »

Holy cow!  It's been a whole month since I updated.  I've been on the forums reading, and even posting occasionally, but for the most part, I've been in the background.  So, some musings from the twilight zone:

I do really fine when my life is under control and I have very little stress.  I do really fine when my kids are only doing one sport each.  Neither of those is true right now, so I am not doing all that well.  I decided about 5 weeks ago just to say "screw it" and go into maintenance mode and see what happened.  This is what happened:

I am not tracking on fitday because I'm sick and tired of tracking everything I eat.  It's not that it's really all that difficult, but more of a pain in the butt.  There are foods that I can't get information on, and I'm more than happy to estimate calories, but fitday won't let you just put in a calorie count.  That's really frustrating.  I know from past experience that if I don't track it, extras sneak in there.  And indeed they have.   :x

My carb intake is higher.  On the positive side, until last weekend it wasn't much in the way of pure junk.  Last weekend my DS turned 16 and I hosted a party for him and his best friend who was also turning 16.  I'm not a cook, nor a party planner, so that was extremely stressful for me.  I had to clean my house, which is a significant undertaking.  I ate all kinds of pure sh*t at the party.  And for two solid days afterwards.  Lots of candy!  Just because it was there.  Damn!  :x

On the whole, I am still making pretty good choices most of the time.  The added sports have put a strain on my ability to cook dinner.  We've been eating FF more often, but I've stuck with salads with light dressing and grilled chicken choices.  Not ideal, but I haven't given in to double cheeseburgers and french fries.   :)

I'm sticking with my exercise routine.  I need to increase it, but I appear to be at the limit of what my joints will tolerate.  I've had to skip yoga the past two weeks because of an elbow injury.  But I am regularly doing the dreadmill at the gym at work.   :)

My weight is up about 6 pounds.  Frustrating.  Frustrating.  Frustrating.  :x

My clothes still fit.  But I wouldn't want to gain two more pounds.   :)

I feel fat!!!!  Even though I'm thinner than I have been in a very long time, I appear to need the psychological reinforcement of losing to feel good about myself.   :x

I found moldy veggies in my refrigerator last night.  When I was a WW leader, I always used to say that I could tell the state of my diet by the condition of the veggies in my fridge.  It was a wake-up call.   :x

My DD1 got into the college of her choice  :), and I've spent a lot of money putting deposits down to hold her spot.  This is really adding to the stress.  I'm having difficulty facing her going away as well as how I'm going to handle this financially.   :x

Softball season has arrived.  DD2 is on a start-up team, and I'm the team brain/organizer/workhorse.  I don't really have time for this, but DD2 is a talented pitcher and has aspirations of pitching for UCLA someday.  Not bad to have those kinds of focused goals at the age of eleven.  I have to support them.  The girls are practicing 4 days a week.  It's a huge time sink.  When can I cook dinner????   :x

Fortunately, a good friend at work begged me to sign up for a health program at work.  Having to weigh in (dressed in the middle of the day) was enough of a wake-up call for me that I'm determined to get back on track.   :)

My conclusions:

1.  Stress is a part of my life.  I need to find a way to manage it when it increases.

2.  I'm not ready to be released into the wilds of maintenance yet.  I've developed some good habits that seem to be sticking, but others are not yet second nature.  It's funny, but yesterday I was in the waiting room of my lawyer's office (back to court for a child support modification - more stress), and I came across an article in a magazine that talked about how it really takes 6 - 9 months to truly develop a new habit.  Depending on how radical the change is, it might take even longer.  It talked about how it was natural to drift back to the patterns we have used for so long.  Diligence is the order of the day.  I must not allow boredom, anger, brattiness, or frustration sidetrack me for too long.

3.  I've gotta find a way to cook - even on the days when I barely get 15 minutes to turn around before I have to go to practice/games/concerts/school events for the evening.

4.  I need to be proud of myself for the progress I have made, and for the good choices I continue to make.  Usually it's all or nothing for me.  When I go bad, I go really really bad.

Sorry this was so long.  I'm in a very weird space right now.  Almost another planet.  But at least my clothes still fit on this planet.   :lol:

T-Vix

losing-it

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »

Wow, t-vix, you have been through the mill lately, and have still got your head screwed on straight.

1. Now that you've kicked yourself and identified what's bothering you, go look in the mirror and tell yourself that you really do love you and you are beautiful. That is one reason you've been so diligent to succeed in your goal. And tell yourself slowly and surely that you are now ready to deepen that love and beauty by getting back on track with your goal in focus.

2. Breathe. Take a few deep breaths and don't do anything for a few minutes before you start to do something or make a decision. When you breathe those deeep breaths, picture yourself calm, serene, and slender as you are, unruffled and smiling.

3. When you get knocked down by something, remember to breathe. When you take those deep breaths, see yourself in a pool of water, rising slowly and gracefully to the top, where the water is clear blue beneath the sun. When you come up out of the water breathe in deeply and realize you are vitally alive and the world is also good.

4. Tomorrow, eat less than you need to -- maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of your basic intake. The day after that you can eat normally again.

OK, enough of that woo-woo stuff. Now just go do it, girl. This too shall pass. Only keep your long-haul convictions and success while the rest of the **it passes.

go2grl

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »

ooh yeah, what losing-it said!  Remember that maintenance can look like whatever you want it to look like.  It can be the same SLD calories or less.  It can involve feast and restriction days.  Or maybe you can decide that you are still in losing mode but with less tracking on Fitday as a way to get ready for maintenance.  But above all get really really positive about all that you've accomplished !!!!!!   and then figure out a new phase that works for you.

Oh, and pull out every stress relieving trick you know... extra sleep, crockpot meals, long baths...  (hugs)
Living La Vida SLD!

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »

Ooh, T-Vix, I'd been wondering what you were up to!  You're BUSY!  Sheesh.  Sounds very stressful, but you've totally got a handle on it and what you'd like to do next.  You can definitely do it! 

And re: food, on Sundays, take an hour to hard-boil eggs, roast a bunch of vegetables, wash and chop salad greens, and simmer a big pot of soup.  Cool and freeze the soup in individual containers, use the eggs and veggies (as well as pantry staples like canned tuna and beans) to round out fast meals when you're on the go.  A small tuna, roasted pepper, and olive tapenade spread (from the grocery store) sandwich alongside a cup of soup can taste mighty nice and be prepped/consumed in less than 10...

You did great choosing the healthiest fast food options you could and hitting the dreadmill (ha) through all of this!  That's fantastic!  And you know you're NOT fat, your clothes are still fitting.  You're looking good, but I know that feeling - it's a bloaty feeling. You don't look terribly different to anyone else but you know you're not feeling lean and mean.  You'll depuff in no time, as soon as you're back on healthier, more balanced foods and drinking lots of water.  It'll feel great to be back on track.  Good luck, my dear!!!

tek_vixen

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, ladies!  One thing I forgot to mention during my very long rant, is that I kept up with my SLD calories the whole time I was experimenting with maintenance.  So I wasn't really all that hungry.  I was just pushing my setpoint up with carby ditto foods.

After three days of refocusing, four of the six pounds are gone.  I suspect they were just water.  But I will continue to focus in order to try to reinforce the good habits so I don't drift back to the bad ones.  I'm going to have to come up with a strategy for maintenance.  Maybe it's food tracking three days a week.  Or maybe it's every other week.  I don't know.  I'll have to try a few strategies.  But I should probably weigh every day and set an upper limit where I have to refocus if I've strayed.

You're right, sammie, about the things I did right while I was not focused.  It's a major step for me to do things even partially right.  Usually when I blow it, I just say "screw it", and really blow it out good.  SLD seems to keep me from going for the most unhealthy junk (i.e. burgers and fries).  I seem to have a problem with candy, though.  Once I have some, it's hard to put my finger in the dike.  I never realized how much I like Mike & Ike candy.  I ate a ton of it at my son's party, and kept talking about my friends, Mike and Ike.   :lol:

I do need to come up with some de-stressing strategies.  The added exercise seems to help.  I've come to the conclusion that I get breaks between really stressful periods in my life as opposed to stressful periods in a normal life.  It's my job to learn how to deal with that.  SLD has decaffeinated me, and I think that helps me cope better too.

The cooking during busy times is truly problematic.  I have rotten, spoiled, picky kids!  Did I mention that they're rotten and spoiled?  :lol:  Actually, they're really great kids who have been allowed by their mother to become picky eaters!  It's totally my fault!  I have no one else to blame.  Where was SuperNanny when my kids were young???  I have yet to find a crock pot recipe they will eat.  The youngest won't eat sandwiches either.  Grrrrrr!  Your ideas are great, sammie, but you'll have to clue me in on what olive tapenade spread is.  I've never heard of it.  I suppose if I get desperate, I can use your ideas to cover my meals and make the kids suffer with ball field food (which wouldn't be suffering to them because it is very yummy tasting - just not so good for you).

I feel thinner again today.  It is a bloat-y feel when I feel fat, even though I don't really look any different.  I can just feel it.  I think part of my problem is that I'm thin relative to recent history, but being back at my high school weight puts me mentally back to those times.  In those days, this weight wasn't even remotely thin, even though it might be considered somewhat thin today.  I used to be "fluffy" in high school.  Nobody would point and say, "oh, there goes the fat chick", but I had plenty of pretty rude comments thrown my way.  I remember one time in PE where this other girl, who was a pear shape as opposed to my apple shape, looked at my legs and commented on how thin they were.  The PE outfits downplayed my tummy roll and emphasized her large thighs.  She ended up shaking her had and said, "What a waste!" and walked away.  I guess she didn't think it was fair that my chubby upper body got to have great legs.  The high school girls today are much larger as a whole.  My BF noticed it and commented on it at DS's party.  DS runs with what I would call the "in-brain" group - the smart kids who have significant non-academic outside interests.  These are the brains who are also athletes, thespians, etc, and are relatively popular.  BF's two daughters were part of the truly popular crowd, so the girls were all pretty thin, and he was very shocked in general at how heavy the girls at the party were.  Times have really changed since I went to school, but my internal picture and the relative fatness/thinness are stuck in the past.

Lots of rambly thoughts right now.  Thanks so much for the support as I work on getting my new habits etched in stone!

T-Vix

go2grl

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2007, 09:50:35 PM »

Cool that those 4 pounds are gone!   

Your buddies Mike and Ike...that got me laughing.   :D  Opening the door to desserts is a toughie - I seem to be struggling with it too.  Apparently if it's in the house I'm going to have "just a little" um, er, EVERY DAY!!!  Only my 'just a little' is getting bigger and more careless, whereas it used to be just a bite or two.

I'm looking forward to hearing your strategies for maintenance T-Vix. I'm trying to get back up to my dose of 2T of oil to knock off this latest bump up of 1.5 pounds. But I seem to have lots of excuses why I should only do one, etc.  :roll:  My AS seems to be good for helping me avoid snacks but it would be nice if it was a bit more full blown.

Living La Vida SLD!

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2007, 11:27:34 PM »

Hi tek vixen, love your posts.
Just a suggestion for the never ending dilemma of "what's for dinner".  My big bugaboo is that I love cooking and spend way too much time making dinner and now on SLD, some days I really couldn't be bothered, except hubby and daughter would object !!   One thing that's helped is a list of meals I know I can cook quickly and that the family will eat.  It's taped to the inside of the pantry door, so when I get a brain freeze or am really time poor I just refer to it.  Funny how I forget to cook certain things- it can be weeks between spag bol ! 
Also, I sometimes "double up" on meals - for example, cook double the spag bol, put the second lot into a casserole dish.  Next night, make double quantity of cheese sauce for veggies, pour the other half over the left-over spag bol (nice if you throw some ricotta into the spag first),  then on the third night the "poor man's lasagna" ( as hubby calls it) goes straight into the oven. Rice one night and then stir-fried rice the next is good too.  Hope this helps - it really is unrelenting isn't it, especially if you're not in the mood!

ani

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2007, 08:10:11 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I had a stressy day at work and found myself eating, of all things, M&Ms. I don't even like junk food; they weren't even "ditto foods" for me, because I hadn't eaten any for years -- it was just anomalous and stupid. I guess I just succumbed to the desire for some kind of sensory distraction.

But you know what? SLD did its job. No effect on the scale, and the following day my appetite shot right down.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18