Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul  (Read 88657 times)

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:31:45 PM »

Update 12/21:

It was a great week!  I hit goal on Sunday, and am now no longer classified as overweight!!!  It feels really great, but there's more work to do.  Now I'd like to get down to a weight I truly feel good at.  And what's another dozen pounds or so among friends, right?  With SLD, it's nothing!  One thing I'm beginning to notice is that I'm becoming more in tune with my body.  I'm starting to be able to predict the days the scale will drop by how hungry I am the evening before.  If I'm really hungry (post-SLD really hungry, which is still ignorable), then it's going to be a pound or more.  A little hungry might translate into .4 or .6 off the number.  It's neat, because I don't get disappointed when the number doesn't move - I already know what to expect.

Bought my first pair of size 6 pants the other day.  I know there's been some size inflation since the last time I wore a size 6, but it still felt reallly good, considering I was wearing 16's just a mere 12 weeks ago.

I've had no trouble staying out of the Christmas goodies so far.  Last night we had guests for dinner, so I broke out the fudge.  I had one small piece and enjoyed it immensely.  I think it was good that I ate it right after dinner, because the meal probably slowed its digestion.  I kept an ear cocked (what does one use to check for the carb monster getting ready to lose control?) for my body to start screaming for carbs, but it never happened.  In fact, I was full all evening and didn't have my normal bedtime snack, and ended the day under 900 calories.  Weird.

Update 12/14:

I can't explain the 3.2 pound loss this week, except for being at a weight that I "whizzed" through when I was going up.  My calories and activity have been pretty steady.  Maybe it was concert nerves.  DD2 (age 11) informed me on Monday that I was to accompany her and her friend on the piano while they played flute for the school concert Thursday night.  Mind you, I haven't played the piano hardly at all in nearly 30 years! :shock:  When I reminded her of this fact, she told me it was ok, because "you're a great piano player, mommy!".  Bah!  I muddled my way through the concert last night, so now that I no longer have loads of adrenaline in my system, the weight loss will probably slow down.  With the big loss this week, I now have hope that I may make my goal weight before Christmas!  That would be the greatest present of all.

Sadly, my mom is struggling on SLD.  She's feeling sick on the oil.  Of course, did she start gradually like I told her?  No!  Did she try the SW chaser like I suggested?  No!  So she's going off of it until January and is going to start again then.  :(  I hope she will listen to the suggested tweaks next time around.

Update 12/7:

A really decent week again with a 2.2 pound loss.  I won't make it to goal by New Year's Day, but that would have been asking too much in the first place.  People are just amazed by my progress, as am I.  My mom and daughter have joined the ranks of SLDers because of my success.  I had a great session in my spare closet this week.  I'd forgotten that I'd put some of my better "skinny" clothes in there when my ex moved out.  I put three nice suits back in my regular closet and tossed the rest because they were just too dated.  It's like getting a whole new wardrobe!

An interesting side note from my forum reading.  I've been beginning to tackle the HCFS in my house.  My kids have a severe soda addiction, which I've told them I'm going to break.  We've severely cut back on the soda in the past month, as well as having fewer fast food meals.  My youngest daughter (age 11) informed me last night that she's lost 9 pounds!  She's 5' 3.5" and weighed 109 a month ago.  When she got on the scale yesterday she weighed 100!  Even though she didn't really need to lose weight, I believe the sodas were keeping her weight artificially higher than necessary.  Hooray!

Update 11/30:

Pattern has finally broken (see 11/9 update below)!  I only lost 1.6 pounds this week - my lowest since starting SLD.  But with Thanksgiving, I'm very happy to have a loss instead of a gain.  My fat is getting disturbingly squishy!  It really scared me in the dressing room of a store the other night.  I accidentally tried on a bra that was the wrong cup size, and what squished up and over was just disgusting!  I really hope this stuff is going to tighten up again!  But I suppose not that many people see me naked anyway!  :lol:

Update 11/23:

Well, my pattern is still holding (updated in my 11/9 update below).  It's gotta break soon, or I'll waste away to nothing.  :lol:  I suspect T-Day will be just the thing to kill it.  But I can't complain when my "light loss" week is a loss of 3 pounds!  I'm really starting to feel much better about myself as I start to resemble the person I once was.  It's also fun to go shopping for clothes again.  I'm really loving this diet!

Update 11/18:

An initial whoosh to start the week, then flat for 4 days, and another whoosh to finish out for a total of 3.8 lbs!  My pattern (updated in my 11/9 update below) held, much to my surprise.  I really thought it was going to be a light loss week, based on how flat it was for so many days.  Very surprising, but no complaints here!

I'm finiding it very easy to forget to eat.  Many days it's just a protein bar for breakfast and another meal at dinner time.  If I'm not hungry, I just don't eat.  It's kind of freaking my kids and BF out a little bit.  BF and I were talking about how different this "diet" is.  Normally when I'm dieting, I'll eat healthy when we go out to FF for lunch, but I usually steal 3-4 of his french fries, just for the flavor.  That hasn't happened even once since SLD.  I'm not at all interested in french fries, or really treats of any kind.  It's very unusual for me.  I've always made room for treats on WW, even if it's just a frozen fudge bar.  That usually lasts a couple of months until I give in and have a more high powered treat.  Then the dam breaks, and I eat and eat and eat, like I'm never going to get a treat again.  I went to my first holiday party last night, and was a little nervous, because I really haven't had any treats at all since I started SLD.  I did really great, despite only having had my oil and a protein bar all day.  I ate chicken, salad, and veggies.  I skipped the bread and rice, because they didn't appeal to me at all.  My tongue wanted more salad and veggies, but my tummy was already full, so the tongue had to just shut up.  A couple of hours later we had dessert.  I had a quarter cup of sorbet and a lemon cookie.  I kept staring at the plate of cookies, waiting for the dam to break and have me stuffing cookie after cookie into my mouth.  Didn't happen.  Dessert was good, but I didn't want any more.  This is unheard of!  Now I have more confidence for next week when I stare Thanksgiving directly in the eye.

Update 11/9:

Another decent week of weight loss: 2.6 lbs.  Looking over the past 6 weeks, a pattern is emerging.  I alternate between a "high" weight loss week and a "low" weight loss week.  As the weeks have passed, the lows and highs have gotten higher, meaning that for each two-week period I have lost successively more weight.  Interesting, as usually I start off with a bang and then peter out.  It looks like this:

Week 1: 2.8        Week 1/2: 5
Week 2: 2.2        Week 3/4: 5.6
Week 3: 3.2        Week 5/6: 6.0
Week 4: 2.4        Week 7/8: 6.8
Week 5: 3.4        Week 9/10: 3.8
Week 6: 2.6        Week 11/12: 5.6
Week 7: 3.8
Week 8: 3.0
Week 9: 1.6
Week 10: 2.2
Week 11: 3.2
Week 12: 2.4

I can't help but wonder if this is showing the increasing AS as the SLD effect really takes hold.  Of course, now that I've noticed a pattern, it will fall apart.  :roll:  If not, I'm looking forward to losing more than 3 1/2 pounds next week.  :lol:  Yeah, right!

Time to go shopping.  The jeans I so proudly snugged into three weeks ago now bag off my butt, and people are beginning to tell me it's time for smaller jeans.  YAY!  Of course, my children can't tell that I've lost an ounce.  :?  Very unobservant creatures.  My son says it's because I wear baggy clothes.  Maybe I should dress like a hooker and see if he notices.   :lol:  Probably wouldn't.

Update 11/3:

The week started with a couple of big Whooshes, which wasn't too surprising to me.  I have a theory about time spent at setpoints on the way up will be similar in pattern on the way down.  I just have never spent much time in the mid-170's.  However, I did spend a lot of time in the low 170's.   :(  So, I'm expecting that I've hit my first real plateau.  I've been stable for the last 4-5 days.  I'm trying to keep cheerful about it because I really do look and feel much better with so many pounds gone.  In fact, one of the guys at work this week asked me how much weight I'd lost.  I replied that I've lost 17 pounds (my ticker only reflects my 14 SLD pounds), and said I have about 17 more to go.  He said to be careful not to achieve the Lindsay Lohan look.  It felt great to get the compliment, so I need to focus on how far I've come, not how fast I get there.  I'm really looking forward to breaking into the 160's.  I hope I can do it by Thanksgiving.  I don't want to further reinforce that low 170's weight with all the extra calories I know will be coming on Turkey Day.   :D

Basic Data:

Start Date: 9/28/06
Start Weight: 185.4
Current Date: 10/27/06
Current Weight: 174.2

Methodology:

1 T. ELOO in AM after shower
1T. ELOO after work
Tracking calories on FitDay
Balancing protein/carbs (low GI eating)

Benefits For Me

1.  Excellent weight loss so far
2.  Awesome freedom from carb cravings & less overall snacking
3.  Shiny hair that people are noticing
4.  Sleeping better - no middle of the night anxiety attacks
5.  Increased libido - BF is a happy camper!  :D
6.  General calmer mood - BF and people at work have commented
7.  I can't feel the stress hormones in my system like I could before
8.  My sinuses are much clearer - I think there's an allergen I'm not eating anymore
9.  My digestive system is working much better and more consistently
10.  Nails are no longer breaking

My Story

I entered the world and rolled over to the scale to get weighed.   :D  My mom says it really wasn't like that, but I feel like I've been overweight forever.  Not terribly overweight, just pudgy.  Mom's side of the family has weight problems, Dad's side doesn't.  Figures I'd get the dip in the shallow end of the gene pool on that one.  Junior High was horrible.  The style was low-rider jeans and midriff tops.  I couldn't count the number of dressing rooms I cried in as I tried to make the current fashion work and just ended up looking like a sausage squeezed into too tight of a casing.  Mom promised me that when I got older, it would be better, and she was right.  I spent most of High School at 5' 6" and between 135 and 145 pounds.  Not too bad.  I was never really happy with it, and was constantly low fat dieting.  Well, you know what that does.  I married at 22, weighing 132 pounds.  My (now ex) hubby was concerned about the future and made me promise I would never be fatter than a size 13.  That promise worked out about as well as my promise to love him forever.  On my 30th birthday, I was 160 pounds after having 2 kids.  Once again I cried.  Hmmmm, seems to be a theme here; I guess I cry a lot about my weight.  Marital problems, full blown depression, antidepressants, etc. pushed my weight above 180 lbs.  I vowed to get myself straightened out - joined a gym and WW.  Lost 40 lbs and achieved lifetime membership only to find out I was pregnant yet again.  Cried for two solid weeks that time.  Kept my weight at an even keel through the pregnancy and afterward for a little while.  Returned to a high stress job and the weight started to pile on again.  Back to WW, where I pushed it back down and became a leader for more than a year.  By this time my kids were becoming sports nuts, and I had no time, so on piled the weight.  I've had a few ups and downs in the ensuing years (mostly ups).  When stress is under control, I do well; when it's not under control, don't get within 5 yards of my mouth, or I might eat you.  Four years ago, DH (not!) announced he was leaving.  He lost his job shortly afterward, and there I was, sole support of three kids (14, 11, and 7).  It was that way for the two years until the divorce was final, plus the year he had to get back on his feet before he was responsible for some level of child support.  Stress was the operative word for that time, and I was running on caffeine and adrenaline.  I'm truly greatful to SLD for the calm feeling I have now!  I am extremely fortunate that my kids held it together during this tough time and are all healthy, well adjusted, good students and athletes.  They are all deeply involved in sports (the youngest is currently on three teams at once!).  So, the diet is really crappy - lots & lots of fast food!  I need to find a way to change that.  On an up note, I now have a very loving and supportive BF who doesn't criticize the way I look or the way I do things.  I'm hoping we can make the relationship more permanent sometime in the next couple of years.

I'm loving SLD for all of the benefits it imparts on me.  I finally feel like I can be in control the next time the stress hits!

T-Vix

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:41:51 AM by tek_vixen »

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
Re: tek_vixen's progress: in it for the long haul
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »

Wow, that is quite a story.  You've been through so much!  Divorce sucks (I'm divorced and remarried), there's just no other way to say it.  Although it's a hell of a lot better than a crappy marriage!  So I'm glad you're on to new and better!  You sound like an uber-busy and very committed mom, I have a feeling you're not lucky that your kids are great, I'm sure it's because of you working so hard to take good care of them.  Best wishes in taking the weight off and keeping it off, even with that inevitable stress, with the peaceful blessings of SLD!

reveal

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »

You have been through a lot.  I'm glad you've met someone good for you. I hope it works out well.
 :D

lindylou

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »

Hi tek,

Hey you and I have the same story!!!!!  There are so many of us like this.

But, luckly time goes by and eventually things seeem to get better.  It took me a long time to get my act together to.

After my divorce, I just raised my kids.  Than 14 years later found the 'SPECIAL ONE".

We got married and we had a big ceremony.  I had the long white wedding dress, he had the tuxes.  My two grandchildren were the ring bearers, and my cousin was the flower girl.
I had the wedding of my dreams.  We were married in 1998 and are living very happily married.

So good things do come along.  It seemed to me that I would never meet Mr. Right.
But, I did.

So there is hope for anyone.

Good luck to you. :D :D :D

Lindylou :D :D :D :D :D

tek_vixen

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:25:53 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I'm really happy that I seem to have found Mr. Right.  He's been an absolute rock for me the past couple of years through some very tough times.  Now, we just need to focus on making him a slightly smaller rock!  :lol:  After all, cummerbunds don't look very good with overhang, now do they?   :shock:  Oooops, did I say that out loud?  Shhhhh, don't tell him or it might scare him away ...... :lol:

T-Vix

tek_vixen

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:31:14 AM »

bump   :D

LDNurse

• I'm really going to do it this time!!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »

Wow, what a life story! I'm glad you are onto better things.
Don't get discouraged with the plateaus, everyone has them (and it's a heck of a lot better than gaining!!). Just give your body time to realize that it is safe to lower it's setpoint again. You are doing great. Congrats!  :D

tek_vixen

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 02:44:02 PM »

Updated original post.  Very interesting pattern emerging.  Hope it keeps up.

T-Vix

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »

TV,  your emerging pattern is FASCINATING!  i'm looking forward to seeing what your next number is.  i wonder if your progress is a testimony to non-tweaking--unless of course you have been tweaking.  then it would be the opposite . . .

i'm digging the format of your thread as well.

congrats!

tek_vixen

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 02:56:17 PM »

No tweaks here!  My motto is "If it ain't broke, I can sure -ef it up if I touch it!"   :lol:

T-Vix

tek_vixen

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 09:57:01 PM »

Update original post.  Pattern still holding.

T-Vix

TalkingRat

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 09:23:37 AM »

T-Vix, this is so amazing, and all on 2T of oil.  I'm curious:  since you track on FitDay, how do your SLD calories compare to pre-SLD? 

tek_vixen

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »

T-R,

I didn't track my calories pre-SLD, but I imagine they were in the 2500/day range.  I had been stable at my high weight for several months.  I now average right around 1000/day.

T-Vix

Marianna

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 09:27:40 AM »

tek--does the 1000 include your oil??

TalkingRat

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 10:53:21 AM »

Thanks!  That is a big change in intake.  I didn't have as much to play with, my pre-SLD maintenance level was around 1200 calories, and I'm doing about that now including oil.  On days when I skip a meal, I do less, but I'm relatively stable on calories.  Still, it's a level that lets me lose that average 0.6 lbs after the first 4 weeks of SLD. 

Ten pounds to your goal, that's wonderful!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18