Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Folks--Please read this first!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Folks--Please read this first!  (Read 34198 times)

shovelqueen

Re: New Folks--Please read this first!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »

I started SLD at 150 lbs in mid June.  I'd lost 3 lbs in the 2 weeks before finding SLD.  The weight came off in spurts, with a plateau for several weeks in July, but overall, I averaged about a lb per week.  It was painless in terms of hunger, cravings, etc, but I did pay attention to what I fed my body, and I do run for exercise.  I never missed a meal, in fact, I posted a typical day's intake on the Food Log forum.  You can find it there.  I was very consistant about taking oil every day. 

This is weight that I have not been able to lose no matter how hard I've tried in the past.  That was my setpoint, causing me to be stuck about 150.  Even getting below 148 was a tooth-and- nail fight.  The oil really does modify the setpoint - it's the closest thing to a miracle that you're likely to find.  It was almost exactly 3 months after I started that I hit my goal weight, so it's not "rapid", but it works. and I have confidence that I'm not likely to ever let myself get back up in weight, now that I know the "secret" of setpoint modification. 

Good luck!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

gemswabbit

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 04:25:23 AM »

Thank you for the info!  I especially value your input...my BMI is the same as your beginning BMI.  Your new BMI is a great target!
I think I'm just anxious/parnoid/excited about finding a relatively easy diet.  I just need to settle down, do it, and quit worrying...and
of course excercise, eat right, drink plenty of water and all of those other things that will allow my body to feel good.  I am amazed at how my appetite has decreased.  I was a snacker and that urge is finally under control.

Anyway, Shovelqueen, rather than ramble on and on, I'll just say thanks...and get off my duff and head for the oil!

eflynn

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »

When people are having the 'stomach rolling' or issues, can we take ant-acids?  or anything like that, as long as it's after the hour?  PLEASE let me know, my tummy's having some serious issues!   :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

shovelqueen

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »

Just eat something after the hour's up - that helped me.  I took some flavoured yogurt, and it helped to settle the queasies.

Generally only happens once or twice.  But if it continues, try splitting your dose into small amounts several times per day. 

Good luck.  Don't give up, it really works.

multimoe

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »

† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †When people are having the 'stomach rolling' or issues, can we take ant-acids?
† † † † † †† Hi Erin,
† † † † † † † † That stomach-rolling that feels like hunger is most often digestion.† I have
† † † † † † †found that over-the-counter Zantac, which is tasteless when swallowed, fixes
† † † † † † †this, and can be taken within the 2-hr window.† Drinking as much water as you
† † † † † † †can really stops it, too.† Outside the 2-hr. window there is no reason you cannot
† † † † † † †chew on Tums if you donít want to eat at that time.† These helped me a lot in
† † † † † † †the early days of adjusting to the oil, and deciding whether or not it really was
† † † † † † †hunger.

Sao

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »

Hello
I m Live in Holland (Europa)and the big problem I have,as well as,some friends of mine who also want to do this diet is what kind of oil should we buy ,because here we don t find extra light olive oil (I believe it does not exist at least in Holland,Portugal, and Italy)We have two or three that are not so strong as normal olive oil(like  the Italian-Bertolli delicato and traditional and in Holland we have some brands that have olive oil not light but what they call "mild"which means less strong)but how can we know which is the one?We have no ELOO and nothing that can gives us an idea of what to take!
Do you know any European that' on this diet?Or, maybe you know  which is the oil we should take in Europe?
I am Portuguese so I'm used to cook with olive oil but I never heard about extralight olive oil,and everybody I ask in my country never heard about it too!
Please give us a help!!!Thank you so much
                                                              Marisol

shovelqueen

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »

Hi, Marisol!  Welcome!

We have loads of Europeans on the forums, including two Portuguese members.  I'm Canadian, but can probably help.  What you're looking for is an oil with very little taste.  You still need to take it in a way that minimizes your sense of taste.  Some throw it back like a shot while holding their breath, others float the oil on a small amount of water, possibly sweetened with a bit of plain sugar, and then drink quickly and rinse out  the mouth to reduce residual flavour. 

Bertolli makes an olive oil that is "mild" or "light", and that is a good one.  Some folks use canola (rapeseed) or walnut oil, too.  One of our European members has also used an inexpensive "salad oil", but I don't remember the name.  The ones to avoid are the deep greenish, full flavoured olive oils, so the cheaper, more refined ones are better for this purpose. 

Also, the 2 hour flavour-free window around your oil dose is vitally important to making this work.  For an hour before and after the SLD calories, no other food or flavours, including gum or toothpaste.  Your body absorbs the calories without any flavour messages going to the brain, and this is what seems to rewire the brain and allow for the setpoint to drop, causing the appetite suppression.  It's really cool how it works.

Good luck! 

rs-px

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 01:38:15 AM »

here we don t find extra light olive oil (I believe it does not exist at least in Holland,Portugal, and Italy)

Hi Sao. Welcome to SLD. The oil might be referred to as "extra light tasting" or just "light tasting". I live in the UK and we have two types commonly on sale here, so there must be some in Holland (just a few hundred miles south of my position!).

It might also be referred to as olive oil for roasting.

I use Flippo Berio "Mild Light" oil but prior to that tried Carapelli "Light in taste". The weird thing is that the Carapelli oil isn't listed on their corporate website.

Just keep looking. You'll find it. It's sold in supermarkets here. You just have to search the shelves.

buxi

• www.sldbuxi.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:16 AM »

Hi, i was trying to find the same too, because a girl form Portugal ask me same question. I saw in FAQs that it could be† walnut oil,
and for Portuguese people i found in the Celeiro Shops the walnut oil:

In case walnut is noz in portuguese then is correct.

Vitaquell oleo noz† 250ml†

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 06:00:06 AM »

Hi, i was trying to find the same too, because a girl form Portugal ask me same question. I saw in FAQs that it could be† walnut oil,
and for Portuguese people i found in the Celeiro Shops the walnut oil:

In case walnut is noz in portuguese then is correct.

Vitaquell oleo noz† 250ml†

I'll note that walnut oil seems to be healthier than grapeseed oil, another oil that works very well in places where ELOO is illegal and thus not available.  I took walnut oil across Italy on vacation with my wife there.  Lost a pound while eating nothing but Italian more or less quick food ;)

(got a free flight there and back, spent the time in cheap rooms and on trains, or walking, it was great).

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 06:18:11 AM »

Yes buxi that's walnut oil, I got it at celeiro too, as well as flaxseed and grapeseed oils (all same brand - Vitaquell).
My problem was, those are extra-virgin cold-pressed and have taste. I wasn't noseclipping at the time.
Walnut oil is the healthiest of all, the omega 3:6 ratio is the best.
You know the brand Gallo? It has a mild OO, but it's still too tasty.

What your friend in portugal can do:
Buy one of those at Celeiro and a noseclip.
Or: try cooking oil.
Or: look for a cheaper azeite, which has EVOO mixed with refined oil.
Or: go to a spanish supermarket and find an aceite suave - they have much less† % of virgin than ours.
Or: try sugar water.

HTH† :D

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Wedelia

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »

Hi Everybody there

I am a newbie from New Caledonia (French Island in the South Pacific then excuse my mistakes in english, I am French).
Well, I read soomething months ago about SLD but thought "How crazy people can be to loose weight!!"
But 2 weeks ago, I was feeling so bad about my weight, body, etc.. That I made an other research and fell again on SLD.. & my curiousity was hooked.
Finally I found Dr Roberts is a genius, but a genius not coward because he tried his method!!
And I read a lot of things (all positive) on SLD

Then it is my turn to try it
I have ordered the book in US, I am waiting to get it but I would like to start ASAP.
Please could you help me to know the right size of oil & sugar?

I weight 112kg (sic!) for 1.62m (I am like a ball!!) that 's awful..
I understood the "window" of 2 hours.
I started with Olive Oil (that made me no problem because I am from the South of France, I grown up on the French Riviera) and I was wondering what could be "Light olive oil"!! Seemed funny at all!!

I made researches about "canola" oil until I discovered that meant "Colza" in French and I have a bottle in my cupboard!!

But I need to know the right portions now.

I went thru this forum several times, and reading your posts, you look to me now almost as friends!
I hope to bring you supoort too and good mood

Thanks in advance for your advises (and posts too)

Wedelia

Ps: you can also correct my english too !  ;o)

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

You need to take 493 flavorless calories, (twice your weight in pounds)
which is 4 TBS of oil a day, (oil has 120 calories a TBS)
or 11 TBS of sugar. (sugar has 45 calories a TBS)
A TBS is a 15 ml measuring spoon, I believe.

Extra light tasting olive oil is very light colored and almost flavorless, as compared to extra virgin olive oil which is greenish.
some people use canola (rapeseed) oil, but I can't think of who right off hand.

you can take your dose all at once, or split it up into several doses.† At first, you might want to split up your oil doses to avoid any stomach upset, until your stomach gets used to digesting such large quantities of oil all at once, it might complain.

good luck!!† 8)

congratulations on your command of English.  It is well over 100% better than my French  :lol:  :lol:

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Wedelia

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 01:20:59 PM »

Hi Karky

Thanks for your kind answer !
I find that CANOLA oil is our French Huile de Colza so no problem at amm to find some here, not like EVOO that is unknown here.
4 tablespoons sound a lot, but believe me or not, I CAN SWALLOW ANYTHING, that's my problem, but in that case, that will be my solution too (I hope)
I noticed yesterday, I got no cravings, that is wonderful !!
No Hungry, no cravings, just a routine to eat at the end of the afternoon, and more I think because I was alone at home.. I have actually other troubles to solve that means..

Well thank you again, I wish you all the best, dear Karky

I think to open my own thread because this one seems not appropriate to write longer.

Take care and VIVE SLD !

Wedelia

Nancy in MT

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »

I'm just starting, took my first "dose" yesterday afternoon.  My problem I don't eat because I'm hungry, just eat to be eating.  I put my timer on to remind me to take the oil at 10:00, but at 9"15 ate a strawberry.  I imagine just not eating during those two hours would cut down on my calories!!  Another concern I have it that I have heard that Cancer needs sugar to live, thus I am only going to use the oil.  I don't have cancer that I know of but sure don't want to feed it if I do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18