Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pinkmug's update, THREE (!!!) YEARS ON SLD!!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 128   Go Down

Author Topic: Pinkmug's update, THREE (!!!) YEARS ON SLD!!!  (Read 469823 times)

twist

Re: Pinkmug's update, TAKING A BREAK
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2007, 01:34:06 PM »

Give yourself time to breathe deeply for a minute. You know, last week I went to hospital to a lung doctor's appt. (for my son) and a nurse gave him a  lesson on breathing - several techniques for clearing his lungs - and she pointed out that it's beneficial for deep relaxation, and overall well-being, and the fact is, he did it for just a minute and noticed a big difference, he felt good and relaxed, so I couldn't wait to get home amd do it too. And it works, so now I'm very focused on my breathing especially when I'm overstressed.

So may I suggest that when you feel the urge of eating for boredom, or stress, or habit (anything but hunger) take just one minute to make some deep breathing. There are several techniques. the one the nurse taught is, inspire until your belly is full, through your nose as if you're smelling a flower, then expire, pushing out the air with your abs, through your mouth, as if you're blowing a candle. Then you can do the same lying down and lifting your arms above your head as you inspire, lowering them as you expire.

This is so true, people can really underestimate the power of controlled breathing, that's all I used to get me through childbirth and I had absolutely no need for pain-killers.  Congratulations on your loss so far, No-S is great isn't it?  I have been doing it since I started SLD, the two compliment each other nicely, and after a couple of months you really don't even think about it anymore as it's become habit.   I have the occasional 'slip-up' and eat something I shouldn't during the week, but it hasn't messed with my weight loss or my eating habits.  I haven't been on the boards for a couple of weeks, I've been doing a herbal body detox that has seen me lose 3 kilos in 2 weeks, so I'll be back Monday to report on my progress thread, I couldn't help coming back for a quick peek to see how things were going and just had to give you some encouragement to keep up the good work.

Also, the breathing techniques work incredibly well if you are having trouble sleeping due to too many thoughts in your head, really calms your brain down and I find it seems to make me sleep sounder.

weight loss at a snail's pace is for keeps!!!

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2007, 01:36:35 PM »

I'm a big, big fan of breathing exercises.  I swear they've helped me lose weight (a la the book Jumpstart Your Metabolism).  And yes - relaxing, peaceful, and yet energizing.  Sounds like a good cocktail or drug, ha.

falconcy

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »

If I ever get a serious muscle cramp in my leg, the first thing I do is to breathe. It is quite difficult when you are in pain, but actually focusing on the breathing and making sure that I am getting air into and out of my body kills the pain quicker than anything. Holding my breath on the other hand tends to make the pain worse.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2007, 01:52:34 AM »

Nice to see you back twist!  :) Spectacular results you're having, with your detox, wow!! I'm taking milk thistle caps, and doing the No-S. I wished I had started it before! After a week on it, I'm down 2 pounds... so I guessed what I needed was a little discipline! How are you combining No-S with SLD? I'm just taking SLD calories as a noseclipped glass of milk, sometimes with protein powder, sometimes with a tsp oil, in the early evening.  I also increased my intake of dark green leaf vegs. Well, I'm a little afraid of speaking only one week into this, but after stalling for so many months this feels good :) Will this be good news to the VSSP club?  :)

Back to breathing, it definitely makes a difference... Lile falconcy, when I have a deep pain (sometimes I have such colics) instead of panicking i control my breathing and it becomes bearable. I took the Lamaze preparation for childbirth and it did make a difference too! Another way of relaxing, for example when your head is spinning around with thoughts at the speed of light  and won't let you sleep, is, imagine a blackboard. Totally black. That's your mind. Any thought that comes to your mind will be a white dot. You have to pick up the white dot and gently take it away from the blackboard, so this remains totally black. Try it, it's very peaceful  8)

I do believe that in our hectic frenzied lives we have forgotten how to breathe properly!  :?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

losing-it

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »

Interesting thread on the controlled breathing. I use a couple types of breathing exercises along with SLD, or at least for the past few weeks more steadily. It is true how breathing can relieve pain, stress, etc. My stories below about Lamaze childbirth exercises in my experience:

I gave birth to both my children through Lamaze with no anesthesia, except for a local numbing shot for episiotomy, which I wouldn't have had to have if the doctors would have performed the technique I'd requested. The first delivering physician was a substitute, for my natural childbrith OBGYN was out of town on emergency. The substitute doctor had NEVER performed a natural childbirth with Lamaze. He was so amazed that afterward, he went around shaking our hands: my husband's, mine, and our Lamaze coach who had shown up just after our son's birth. It was 1971.

And during the second childbirth in 1973, I was in a room with another woman who was having a very long, painful labor. The doctors kept coming in and telling her, "Just relax, just relax." Of course, she couldn't just relax. She saw my husband and I doing the breathing exercises together, and how calm and collected we were. She asked if he would come over and teach her whatever we were doing. Later, after our babies were born, she came over to say "Thank you." It was the only thing that helped her get through it.

Much later, in 1985, I had a hysterectomy, lymphectomy, etc. for an aggressive female cancer. When I woke up after the operation, I was still in intensive care, and my abdominal muscles were cramping so painfully that my knees drew up to my chest. I was still under the influence of the anesthesia, and couldn't even focus my eyes or call out yet, so I started praying for what to do. I suddenly had the idea to do childbirth breathing exercises, and did so until the pain subsided. I was stretching my legs back down away from my chest when the doctors and nurses ran over to see what was wrong. I just kept on breathing and panting in counted rhythm. They must have thought I was out of my mind. Later, when I was in recovery, one of the nurses stopped by. She wanted to ask me if I remembered what I was doing when I came to after surgery, and what it was, if I did remember. When I told her I was doing Lamaze exercises, she was amazed. I figure surgeons should have classes to teach those exercises to patients before their surgeries.

twist

« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »

Pinkmug, I see you have subtracted another half kilo from your ticker today :D, well done.  My official weigh in is Monday, so I will wait until then to update, but I can say that I have gone from 76.8 at my last weigh-in almost 3 weeks ago, to 73 as of this morning.  Some of that was because I was only able to eat fruit, veges, unsweetened yogurt, raw milk and cold-pressed olive oil while on the 'cleanse', but most was nasty build-up from my intestines that had been festering for years(sorry if TMI).  With combining No-S and SLD, I don't really count my oil as a snack (which might be against the rules, but hey, it works for me!), I usually have 1tbsp between breakfast and lunch, then another between lunch and dinner, and on my cardio days I break the rules and have a protein smoothie after my workout.  No-S has been a great guideline for me as to when I should eat and how much, while SLD has controlled the hunger in between meals while getting used to only 3 a day, but now that I have been on it for a few months I am finding I can bend the rules a little now and then, and just go with what feels right, I didn't want to end up like some of the people on the No-S site, always beating themselves up because they keep 'failing'.  I told myself that if I was serious about losing the weight I would have to come to know myself better, to know instinctually when it is ok to break the rules and have dessert on a weekday, and when to realize that I am just trying to fool myself that I have eaten less (and moved more) that week than I really have.

I never did Lamaze, I have heard of it but I don't think we have classes in my area.  I did basically the same technique that the nurse taught your son for lung function and that worked just fine.  Actually it worked so well I didn't realize that I was just 1.5 hours away from having my son when we got to the hospital, I had thought the pain was getting a little intense and that maybe I was halfway there.  I also drank raspberry leaf tea all through the third trimester and took other herbal supplements recommended by my absolutely wonderful midwife, and I think that helped a lot.  In New Zealand all babies are delivered by midwives (except in emergencies) and I was lucky enough to have a fantastic one.

If I ever get a serious muscle cramp in my leg, the first thing I do is to breathe. It is quite difficult when you are in pain, but actually focusing on the breathing and making sure that I am getting air into and out of my body kills the pain quicker than anything. Holding my breath on the other hand tends to make the pain worse.

I was told that when we relax through pain, our brain releases endorphins which are our bodies natural painkillers, but when we tense up, our bodies release adrenalin, which stiffens the muscles in preparation for 'fight or flight', and we all know that stiff muscles hurt a heck of a lot more :(   

Keep up the good work, Pinkmug!!!!

twist

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »

BTW, great stories about controlled breathing losing-it, I wish more people were willing to embrace such methods.

Ann H

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2007, 08:21:20 PM »

Another tip: The breathing exercises are also good on roller-coasters (if someone tricks you into going on one) or anything else that gives that nasty tummy-drop.

I HATE all those rides, but when you're with family and they all want to go on the Pirate Ship, what to do? But, I found that doing controlled inhales on the way up and then the controlled exhale during the drops completely killed the discomfort and AAAAAGH tummy feeling. Made it just like being on a nice swing. First time I smiled during and after one of those rides... Heh heh heh.

go2grl

« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »

Couldn't have made it thru the delivery of my over 9 pounder without those breathing techniques -esp/ with no drugs.  I love the reminder to include it in daily life.  I've taught my DS to breathe deep when he's in pain, or has nausea, stomachache, etc. - works great for both of us.
Living La Vida SLD!

girljedi

• "Do or do not; there is no try...."
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

You never know what useful tidbit you'll pick up here on the forums!  What a great bunch of people!  I absolutely love you guys!   :D

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2007, 02:49:11 AM »

I'm always thrilled with delivery stories. It's fascinating how childbirth is such a common, everyday thing of millions of years, and yet each story is so unique, so different, so amazing, so beautiful, so new...
Thank you for sharing your stories!... Those moments are so meaningful that we never forget the little details, huh?  :)
 For example, I remember that more than 20 years ago I was 1 month already into Lamaze classes when I did my 8th month ultrasono/ which showed my son in an upright position, and I was warned that most probably he wouldn't turn his head down because of just one month left and little room to,  and I was to have a C-section. Well, I was so excited about the delivery with Lamaze that it was a shock to know that, I even cried. But i kept going to the classes. I have to confess here that I was 29 and until that age I never wanted to be a mom because i had physical FEAR of it. Overcoming that fear took time, and finally Lamaze helped me tremendously. Anyway, 7 years later I had my daughter, this time by normal childbirth, and i had been practising Lamaze at home. It helped a lot again, I wasn't having enough contractions and so my labor was induced, and when she started going down she was kind of stuck and the doctor used forceps. It was all very quick. The different breathings were really useful, but I never got to do Lamaze exactly as per the book!...

On to the roller coasters... I have such mixed feelings about them!... I'm scared, and yet I love the challenge. But I had to give up those with loopings, as I get terrible pains in my neck. Which works just as well as an excuse - more to me than to my family  :P So, two years ago in the Paris Disneyland I took the challenge and rode the Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones and Space Mountain. The only one I'm willing to ride again is the Big Thunder, it has no loopings. Last year in Seville's Magic Island none of us had the courage to ride the one with loopings... but we rode the ones in the boats. The only way I can do it is yelling all the time on the drops. Maybe it works as per Ann's suggestion,... if I ever go again I'll try the controlled breathing one, but it's so scary I don't even open my eyes. Yes, I rode Indiana Jones and the other with my eyes shut  for all the ride...  :D Back to the story, there was this tall tower with the free fall in Seville, but none of us had the guts to go. We kept postponing, until luckily closing time came, heheheh. But something awful happened to me in seville I had never thought might happen: the spinning barrels spin much faster than any other i rode before, so we were putting them in maximum spinning speed and I started feeling dizzy, i panicked, I couldn't see, I felt the ground disappearing from under my feet, i thought I was going to die, I only cried Stop! Stop! Gosh, it was much worse than any roller coaster... I felt lousy for a couple hours afterward, and the temperature was over 40 C (100 F) to make things worse. Whew! It nearly spoiled the day. Hmmm.. as I'm going to be 50 maybe I can use it as an excuse to pass on all the scary rides  :mrgreen: but I know I'll be disappointed in myself all the same...  :(
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Ann H

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2007, 04:11:29 AM »

Great stories, Pink!

If you feel bad during (and especially after) those rides, give them a pass! People do regularly die after using them. Listen to your body... :) (From unabashed ride-hater :wink:)

sammie

« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2007, 06:33:28 AM »

Ohh, those rides make me so sick (ever since puberty; loved them before that, then age 14, BAM, vomit-city), your telling of them actually made me a little queasy.  My son has zero interest, I'm so lucky. 

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »

Great stories, Pink!

If you feel bad during (and especially after) those rides, give them a pass! People do regularly die after using them. Listen to your body... :) (From unabashed ride-hater :wink:)

D I E ? ? ?  :cry:

OK, from now on you'll only find me on "it's a small world", that will be the scariest ride I'll ever take again  :)

Ohh, those rides make me so sick (ever since puberty; loved them before that, then age 14, BAM, vomit-city), your telling of them actually made me a little queasy. My son has zero interest, I'm so lucky.

i'm sorry I was too graphic.......
I must let go of calling myself chicken and beating myself up for being afraid.

Lucky you  :) How old is your son?

sammie

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »

You weren't too graphic - you described them well!  And made me remember how grateful I am to not have to ride them - I LOVED them when I was a kid and my parents always disappointed me that they wouldn't go on them with us.  My son is almost 11, so far, so good.  He had a blast at Disney World (without me, thank goodness; I'm so BAD!) but doesn't beg to hit amusement parks in the summer.  WHEW!  Ha.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 128   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18