Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Noseclipping for crazy people

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Noseclipping for crazy people  (Read 26397 times)

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
Noseclipping for crazy people
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:47:12 PM »

Noseclips.

Just when you thougt SLD was strange enough--swigging cooking oil, for Pete's sake (and what he has to do with this I haven't a clue, but I digress...)

SLD is all about flavorless calories.The more you eat flavorless, the more your setpoint is lowered. What noseclips do is to take flavor out of food. There are people who are supertasters. Those folks will taste flavors in the oil. I did--eloo was buttery, grapeseed a little less buttery. Noseclips also allow me to take the flavored oils like flaxseed and fish.

You DO need to still have 1 hour flavorless before and 1 hour flavorless after you comsume food/drink while noseclipped. That means no gum, no smoking, no toothbrushing, no flavored waters, no coffee, no tea.

Here is a website with a quick and dirty quiz to determine if you are a supertaster.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/

You DO NOT have to be a supertaster to use noseclips, but I figured out why I wasn't losing *at all* once I figured out that I was a supertaster. This is just one more way to get flavorless calories in.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
Re: All you wanted to know about noseclips
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »

The noseclipping works great, for taking oil at least. I'm one of those who can taste ANY oil, but with my noseclip (er, clothespin with folded-up-baby-washcloth padding) on, I can't taste A THING. (I use refined coconut oil, btw, plus fishoil caps, and sugar water as an extended "chaser".) If I take off the pin too soon afterwards, I can taste the stuff again. I have to wait about 10 minutes (with rainsing or drinking my sugar water chaser plus water) before taking off the pin for it to work well. But I think it can make ANY oil flavorless--fabulous! We could use extra virgin olive oil, or extra virgin coconut! Or diesel, hey! :)

Anyway, we could use the clips at other times--during eating whatever, Seth says--to reduce the flavor-calorie associations of our food and further help our bodies lower their setpoints. 

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »

Yeah, that smoothie thing is neat, isn't it? I just throw in everything I don't seem to have gotten enough of that day, blend it, clip up and drink it down. I'm definitely losing weight beyond that water-weight blip; I weighed in at 191 this morning. Given my pattern, I suspect that'll be more like 192 or 3 by my official weigh-in, but the low number is always the harbinger of where I'm going.

I'm too lazy and stupid to crazy spice. And cheap. Lazy, stupid and cheap. Good heavens, I'm quite a catch, aren't I?

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:07:54 PM »

Smoothie and noseclipping: This takes the place of one of my oil doses since I add the oil into it. You can leave the oil out if you want.

What I do:
Noseclips.

If you can taste the oil (eloo has a buttery taste to me) then you need to make it tasteless. Noseclips will work.

Noseclips also increase your flavorless calories when you wear them and drink a smoothie or eat boring food.

Smoothies

I use the noseclipped smoothie to get rid of leftovers. My basic smoothie (the thicker the better)

1 frozen banana
1 T fish oil or eloo
1/2 C low fat plain yogurt (you can't taste it)
1 or 2 T honey (you can sense/taste sweet)
1/3 C protein powder (there's soy and rice as well as the usual suspects. Again, it can be unflavored)
milk or soy milk-- as much as you need

I add leftover veggies, maybe fruit...today I had some RyKrisp crackers and put 2 in. Cool texture--I'll do that again. That's breakfast for me. I rinse my mouth out afterwards, usually brush my teeth and rinse again, then take my noseclips off.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
Re: Noseclipping for crazy people
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 06:12:50 PM »

Some words from the Great and Wonderful Oz:

(follow the link only if you dare--it's the first post in the Mega Noseclipping Thread)

yes, noseclips -- the noseclips that swimmers wear. (Speedo noseclips cost $3-$5.) Eat regular food wearing noseclips. This supplies "SLD calories" as effectively as eloo or sugar water (or crazy spicing or Beneke balls), to judge by the small amount of experience so far.

The more SLD calories you eat, the more your appetite will be suppressed and the more weight you will lose, I am sure. The book advises getting SLD calories from flavorless oil & sugar water. But there are other ways: Beneke's method, for example. And crazy spicing. And foods with completely new flavors.  The noseclip way is very easy (any food can be used) and unlimited (you can consume as many calories/day this way as you like).

So far three people have tried it for at least a week. All three continued to take oil as before and did the noseclips in addition. They ate on the order of 300 calories/day with the noseclips on. All three have reported much stronger appetite suppression.

Details: it takes a tiny amount of getting used to -- chewing and swallowing with your nose clipped. After you finish eating, rinse your mouth with water and wait a few minutes before taking the clips off, to allow the flavors to dissipate. It is probably best to do with food you don't especially like, so that there is no feeling of loss.

Just to be explicit: I think 300 calorie of food eaten wearing noseclips will be just as appetite-suppressing  and craving-eliminating and weight-loss-causing as 300 calories of eloo or 300 calories of sugar water.

When people find that the diet is not working for them or is working very slowly, I believe that in most cases they just need a larger dose of SLD calories to make it work. I find it very hard to believe that people for whom the diet hasn't been working have fundamentally different weight control systems from the rest of us. For example, if it doesn't work when you take in 300 SLD calories/day, the diet may work much better when you take in 600 SLD calories/day.

If you try this method you should continue the diet as usual and add this in addition to the oil or sugar water -- not in place of it , unless the oil or sugar water was causing health problems. I believe that many of the oils that people are using for SLD are beneficial apart from weight loss -- sleep and skin improvement, for example. You wouldn't want to lose those benefits.

You can also use noseclips to get rid of the flavor of toothbrushing and similar activities that might violate the 2-hour flavorfree window.

This idea is due to Gary Skaleski. He thought of it and tried it and has found that it has worked very well. He had lost weight via oil but then found his appetite coming back strongly in the evenings.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 07:30:15 PM »

And guidelines on how many flavorless calories may work to help lose weight.

You might try enough flavorless calories to equal 1.5 to 2.5 your weight - if you weigh 100 pounds then consume 150 to 250 flavorless calories per day.  If you weigh 300 pounds you would need 450 to 750 fc per day.  This is based on a survey I did of people on the forums - most ( but not all ) who were getting good appetite suppression were in this range.  With nose clipping it should be possible to maintain good nutrition and still take all the fc needed.

Good luck.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 03:05:57 PM »

If SLD is not working for you it could be that you are not taking enough flavorless calories.  A starting point is to take 1.5 to 2.5 times your weight in flavorless calories.  For example if someone weighted 150 pounds they would take  between 150 * 1.5 = 225 flavorless calories or 150 * 2.5 = 375 flavorless calories per day.  These dosages should provide good appetite suppression but if they don't , raise your intake of flavorless calories until you do get good appetite suppression.  This can be done in a very easy, nutritious way by adding nose clipped smoothies to your diet.  I take all my unflavored calories ( about 650 per day ) this way.   There are lots of smoothie recipes out there but here is mine - it is particularly filling and you can vary the number of calories to suit your needs.  I skip breakfast and have this mid to late morning.  You can also make it up the night before and just give it a quick stir before you drink it.

two cups skim milk
one multivitamin
1/4 scant cup unflavored soy protein powder
1/2 cup uncooked old fashioned oatmeal ( lower glycemic index, I think, than quick cook oatmeal )

I put this in the blender and run on low and, while the blender is running, I add two tablespoons of Smart Balance oil.  I then put the blender on high until the oatmeal is finely chopped.

Without the oil the smoothie is about 400 calories and with the oil about 650 calories.  One could add more or less oil and / or drink more than one per day to vary the number of unflavored calories..  One word of caution - this is VERY FILLING - the oatmeal will swell in your stomach and make you feel full for hours.  If you are a smaller person you may want to cut the recipie in half at first.

This is a easy, nutritious way to add more flavorless calories to your diet.

Good luck and please keep us all posted as to whether or not raising the amount of unflavored calories in your diet works.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »

And guidelines on how many flavorless calories may work to help lose weight.

You might try enough flavorless calories to equal 1.5 to 2.5 your weight - if you weigh 100 pounds then consume 150 to 250 flavorless calories per day.  If you weigh 300 pounds you would need 450 to 750 fc per day.  This is based on a survey I did of people on the forums - most ( but not all ) who were getting good appetite suppression were in this range.  With nose clipping it should be possible to maintain good nutrition and still take all the fc needed.

Good luck.

This entire thread is great.

Thanks!

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 05:19:23 PM »

Thanks, boss.

:D

barbbiggs

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »

I just posted "Missing a night" saying I wasn't losing.
Now I'm wondering if cleaning my teeth at bedtime close to taking the oil could be the reason the AS hasn't kicked in?
Can Seth or somebody answer this one?
Thanks

uman

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »

I think I'm a supertaster. I didn't really taste the oil the first day (yesterday), but I really gulped it right down. May have gotten a hint of taste. But today, I definitely tasted it (and didn't fancy it much!).

Question: I take it that even unpleasant tastes qualify as a taste?

If so, I guess it's either noseclips or switch to sugar water.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »

I keep some sugar water premixed in the refrigerator and take a sip and swish it around to get rid of any flavor I might be getting, and it also kills off any unpleasant greasy mouth feelings I sometimes have.

If you are getting a nasty flavor from your oil, check and make sure it isn't spoiled.  :shock:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

uman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:52 AM »

I keep some sugar water premixed in the refrigerator and take a sip and swish it around to get rid of any flavor I might be getting, and it also kills off any unpleasant greasy mouth feelings I sometimes have.

If you are getting a nasty flavor from your oil, check and make sure it isn't spoiled.  :shock:

Thanks. I wouldn't describe it as nasty, so I don't think it's spoiled. I bought some noseclips and aim to try those today.

freedom for me

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »

:My very first day was yesterday.....I decided to try the nose clipping, as I smell everything.   With nose plug in place, I realized that it might be hard to swallow and it was !!  With just the tiniest adjustment, there was more freedom in eating and drinking.  I kept thinking how silly it was to be doing this and how I could still taste the food.
Taking notice that my lunch hour was nearly over, with my last bite still in my mouth, I pulled off the nose plug and got the biggest surprise of my life.......my taste buds suddenly became alive. 
If I had not tried this, I certainly would not have ever believed it, what a sensation! :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18