Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Appetite Suppression vs. Setpoint Adjustment

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Appetite Suppression vs. Setpoint Adjustment  (Read 355957 times)

nougat

• Malta EU
Re: Appetite Suppression vs. Setpoint Adjustment
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2010, 08:25:12 PM »

vlemmix posted a link to 'anthony colpo'
well those who do 'protein power' = the eades diet will know that dr eades has long ago published his reply in his blog.  oh 'the eades' husband and wife team are both medical doctors anthony colpo umm is not.
as we all know for every person to think one way is right you will find another convinced he is wrong.

Pip

« Reply #391 on: March 05, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »

Thanks, Todd. Your posts have been very helpful and enlightening for me, so I am pleased that you liked my summary.  I'm sure that the "one-size-doesn't-fit all" concept is not new to SLD'ers that have been around awhile, but it really was an epiphany for me after trying all the standard diets out there.

"Listen to your body" for hunger and satiety clues is a common diet aphorism, but all my body said to do was to stuff as much chocolate down my pie-hole as I could get my hands on. It wasn't until I started setting up little experiments on myself that the signals became more helpful. And really, I had given up on getting AS or even losing weight at all by that point. Instead, inspired by Seth's blog posts regarding diet and acne , I started eliminating processed & artificial foods, then sugar, then wheat in hopes of clearing up my skin and getting some sinus relief. It was a huge surprise to me that eliminating wheat would make such a difference in both my sinus condition and my appetite. My skin has not cleared up, though.  :?  I'm 2 weeks off of dairy. I'll give that another week and then try the next thing and the next thing until I figure it out.

It is my hope that folks who are not getting the results they want won't get discouraged, but will understand there are other levers to try.

http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2009/06/24/acne-self-experimentation-why-its-promising/
http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2009/07/21/acnecom-versus-acneorg/

I like your website. So much information and interesting ideas! I tried the eyesight rehabilitation and the improvement was noticeable in just 1 day. Amazing! I posted a few more details in your Rehabilitation board.
http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php?topic=8.0

Jbird

« Reply #392 on: March 05, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »

I know Loren Cordain has written a lot about paleo eating as a way of clearing up acne and that would involve elimination of grains and dairy, so you're probably going to arrive at the same place independently, but if you want to check out his site and see the information there, it might provide additional anti-acne ammo: http://thepaleodiet.com/. Good luck!

Pip

« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »

Thanks, Jbird. I'll take a look.

Probably by the time I'm done eliminating all possible causes I'll be down to only consuming VCO in hot water and washing with no soap. I'll be smelly, but skinny and no zits.  :lol:

VeganKitten

« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »

I pretty much read all the posts on this board (always hitting the "read new posts since your last visit") and it's funny how ideas and themes from these threads will rattle around in my brain for a while until at some point critical mass is reached and I decide to act on the information -- to try something different. I got to that point just now on two matters:

1. I will get some coconut oil again
2. I will try avoiding wheat altogether

Thanks, group wisdom  :lol:

Pip

« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »

I pretty much read all the posts on this board (always hitting the "read new posts since your last visit") and it's funny how ideas and themes from these threads will rattle around in my brain for a while until at some point critical mass is reached and I decide to act on the information -- to try something different. I got to that point just now on two matters:

1. I will get some coconut oil again
2. I will try avoiding wheat altogether

Thanks, group wisdom  :lol:

Cool! Hope it is helpful for you.

NuLu

« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »

Hi, I have a question. I have been taking my oil with kefir lately. As far as I now, some folks here including Oslo did so, successfully. Oil mixes well with kefir so oily residue is not an issue anymore, this method also really helped with stomach problems. I noseclip it by the way. But I am still concerned about the insulin reaction I might get from kefir. I searched the web and found that the bacteria in kefir eat up the carbohydrates to produce lactic acid, so kefir is low carb (4 gr carbs per cup). But I guess lactic acid has a calorie value and is metabolised by the body to produce energy somehow. I could not find how it is metabolised after ingestion. All the articles I've seen focus on the metabolization of lactic acid in muscles, produced during exercise. Do any of you know about this? Does ingesting lactic acid cause insulin response?

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #397 on: May 12, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »

Does ingesting lactic acid cause insulin response?

NuLu, There is some evidence from rat studies that lactic acid raises the insulin response.  But this only occurs at very acidic pH, and not if the lactic acid is buffered, as I would expect it is in kefir. Furthermore, the lactic acid content of kefir is about 1% by weight.  While this is a higher level than in most foods, it is still a very low level in terms of its contribution to calories.  So I wouldn't worry about it.

I think Kefir is a very healthful beverage, mainly due to its beneficial bacteria, which it appears can colonize the gut even more effectively than those in yogurt.  It is not very insulinogenic, at least if you have a typically serving size of one cup.  According to one source, a cup of unsweetend kefir contains 12 grams of carbs (8 of them as sugars), 11 grams of proteins, and 2 grams of fat.  If you use my guidelines for platinum calories, then your dose should be limited to no more than 10-20 total grams of insulinogenic carbs per dose.  Counting protein at 50% the level of carbs, means that kefir has 12 + 11/2 = 17.5 grams of insulinogenic carbs per cup.  Since oil is non-insulinogenic, you should be OK if you keep the amount of kefir to one cup, or preferably less than that.

However if you have flavored kefir, which is typically sweetened, you will induce more of an insulin response.

Since your interest is in finding a way to blend oil into a single phase with an easily digestible drink, have you tried mixing your oil into heavy whipping cream?  It works great and is totally non-insulinogenic.  If you find it to be too "thick" or rich, you can even dilute the cream somewhat with still or sparkling water after you have first blended in the oil.  It is even more refreshing and hard-to-taste if you pour the mixture over ice cubes.  If you do this with cream, the concotion foams up like "cream soda" which has a very nice mouthfeel.

Todd

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:42:12 PM by NTB »
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

NuLu

« Reply #398 on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »

Thank you Todd for your prompt and detailed answer.
I read somewhere that kefir is found to have 4 gr carbs per cup, when carbs are actually measured rather than calculated. That's why I worried about lactic acid converted from lactose.
I make my own kefir from kefir grains, so it is additive free. I believe that it helps with my allergies so I will do my best to keep taking it for the rest of my life. I am also willing to take SLD oil too, so I combined them to have a drink instead of breakfast. It is convenient for me. I am afraid, anything slightly more inconvenient may cause me to slack off and quit taking them both. We don't have heavy whipping cream in stores, we have %30 fat whipping cream. It should be better than kefir in terms of insulinogen content but I know I will find it more difficult to stick with.
Thanks anyway for your kind advice, I have already been keeping those recommendations in my mind, maybe I will try and decide to stick with.

Sanchiaza

« Reply #399 on: July 25, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »

Hi Todd

I've been re-reading this thread in light of what I read on your blog about insulin (which is great, btw, answered lots of questions) and I just wanted to ask:

Have you heard of Sutherlandia frutescens? It's known as the cancer bush here in SA and it's somewhat controversial because of its application in HIV/AIDS. But there is also some interesting research about its ability to treat/prevent insulin resistance. Here is a link to the journal article abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19370539

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »

Sanchiaza,

Well I just learned something new from your post.  I had never heard of Sutherlandia frutescens before.  But I'm quite intrigued after looking into it.  This plant extract appears to be what is called an "adaptogen", meaning that it helps the body adjust to a variety of stressors.  The exact mechanism of action is unclear, but research shows clear evidence of analgesic, anti-inflammatory and blood sugar regulation (antidiabetic) properties. So I think the connection with preventing insulin resistance is that the plant extract directly modulates blood sugar levels.  Here is another website on S. frutescens, including abstracts from a number of scientific studies:

http://www.sutherlandia.org/diabetes.html

Thanks so much for sending the link, Sanchiaza.  I'll have to look into this some more.  Regarding other approaches to combatting insulin resistance, I think that the combination of calorie restriction (which I practice in the form of intermittent fasting) and intense, brief, periodic anaerobic exercise -- are two practices which significantly help prevent or reverse IR.  Some good work on this has been done by Dr. Ron Rosedale.  Some of this is laid out in his book, The Leptin Diet, but actually I found his interview with Jimmy Moore to be much more informative on the topic of insulin resistance and what causes it:  http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=4764&highlight=rosedale

Todd
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

Sanchiaza

« Reply #401 on: July 26, 2010, 08:37:41 AM »

Yay, thank you also for your link!

Leptin caused a bit of a flurry here a few months ago - one of the major vitamin and anti-ageing companies released a (very expensive, IMHO - R400/$50 for one month's supply) product for weight loss that has as its main ingredient Irvingia gabonensis. Their advert cited a study in which people lost lots of kilograms over a 12-week period without dieting simply by taking Irvingia. The idea is that leptin resistance is as much of a block to weight loss as insulin resistance. Here is a link to a study done on irvingia (but I don't think that it is THE study because this one took place over only 4 weeks):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1168905/

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #402 on: May 25, 2014, 10:37:29 PM »

As many of you know, Seth Roberts died a month ago--on April 26.  It was and still is hard to fathom that he is gone.

His passing caused me to recall the inspiration he provided to my own thinking about diet and metabolism, including the thought-provoking exchanges with many who added to this particular thread about the theory behind the Shangri-La Diet. So, as a postscript to this discussion, I posted a remembrance of Seth on my blog, recalling his unique style of combining personal experimentation with findings from the diverse fields of psychology and physiology to craft an innovative and surprising theory of weight loss:

http://gettingstronger.org/2014/05/remembering-seth-roberts/:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18