sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The best thing that has happened is that I no longer get SO hungry that I feel like I am starving and have to eat a cheeseburger right away or suffer a horrible death. Tha's what being hungry has felt like for the last three years. Now when I get hungry it feels a lot more normal and it never involves McDonalds. -- peazazz

Poll

Does thyroid function impact effectiveness of SLD?

Take thyroid replacement and lose weight easily
Take thyroid replacement and do not lose weight easily
Do not take thyroid replacement and lose weight easily
Do not take thyroid replacement and do not lose weight easily

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thyroid function poll--need you to vote even if this isn't an issue for you.  (Read 15433 times)

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s

This question seems to have been kicked around a lot since I've been on, but I can't seem to find a poll to look at possible correlations. So here's a poll.

EDIT NOTE: Same poll, different thread title. Am trying to get a good snapshot of the folks here to see if this is an issue worth investigating.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:39:00 am by Seth Roberts »

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
Re: Does thyroid function impact effectiveness of SLD?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:41:09 pm »

In a week I think I need to poll all who lose weight slowly:

Do you suspect a thyroid problem?

Do you have a diagnosed thyroid problem that you take prescription medication for?

Do you have a diagnosed thyroid problem but do not take prescription medication?

You do not have or suspect a thyroid problem.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:08:58 pm »

Trick question. I'm a hypochondriac. I suspect EVERYTHING.

I'm picturing the patient, long-suffering look on my GP's face when I ask him if it's possible I have a thyroid problem...
Running weight tally:

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:13:44 pm »

Add 'The Frenata Option'

E. All of the above.

:lol:

bigbaddar

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1990 and have been on medication since that time.  I have suffered through other health issues which affected my ability to lose weight. (I won't bore you with the details). I"m losing weight with SLD but it is in spurts. Losing alot, losing alittle, it goes in waves and cycles.

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!

saggi girl

I voted even though I don't have thyroid problems.  I hoped that didn't skew your results.

TalkingRat

So far I see that people who stick around here do not lose weight easily.  :lol:

I don't suspect thyroid, although I've had an enlarged one for 25 years.  It always tests normal.

But it may have something to do with fuel efficiency.   I test really "fit" on my Polar HRM test -- which means I use oxygen (and therefore calories) very efficiently.

dgrillot2000

So far I see that people who stick around here do not lose weight easily.  Laughing

I don't suspect thyroid, although I've had an enlarged one for 25 years.  It always tests normal.

But it may have something to do with fuel efficiency.   I test really "fit" on my Polar HRM test -- which means I use oxygen (and therefore calories) very efficiently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I also notice that a lot of people stall in their weight loss.

How far are you from your goal weight?

I THINK I CAN. I THINK I MIGHT. I THOUGHT I COULD!  I THINK I WILL!

TalkingRat

How far are you from your goal weight?

I'd be happy with 12 more pounds, but I could as easily say 22 and still be within "normal" range.  However, the calorie efficiency hasn't changed, that has been there for many years.  My comment was to the poll results, which at the time showed nobody voting that they lost easily -- well, until this morning, now there's one. 

Rabin the Cat

Well I voted I take a thyroid supplement adn don't lose weight easily. I mean, I've lost 33 pounds in 4 months and it was easier than any prvious try, but weight loss is just hard, any way you slice it. I get so sick of thinking about myself.

rosekelly

Re: Thyroid function poll--need you to vote even if this isn't an issue for you.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 11:57:53 pm »

Well I voted I take a thyroid supplement adn don't lose weight easily. I mean, I've lost 33 pounds in 4 months and it was easier than any prvious try, but weight loss is just hard, any way you slice it.

You're averaging two pounds per week. This is perfect. You are losing at the perfect rate. From what I understand, two pounds of fat is about the max the body can lose in one week. Anything beyond that is water or muscle loss.

Sometimes I see people on these forums complaining that they've only lost, oh, eight pounds in a month. That's about as good as it gets! 

Way to go.  :D

Rose

anacara

Re: Thyroid function poll--need you to vote even if this isn't an issue for you.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 06:25:33 am »

Well I voted I take a thyroid supplement adn don't lose weight easily. I mean, I've lost 33 pounds in 4 months and it was easier than any prvious try, but weight loss is just hard, any way you slice it.

You're averaging two pounds per week. This is perfect. You are losing at the perfect rate. From what I understand, two pounds of fat is about the max the body can lose in one week. Anything beyond that is water or muscle loss.

Sometimes I see people on these forums complaining that they've only lost, oh, eight pounds in a month. That's about as good as it gets! 

Way to go.  :D

Rose

Yes, I think it's important to judge SLD not by the speed of weight loss, but by its ease compared with all the other (mostly tortuous!) methods.  I also think patience is significant.  For many of us, the initial loss is so quick and easy, that I think we get a little spoilt by it, and get a bit petulant when it slows down or becomes more erratic (I speak for myself too!).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 04:10:21 pm by anacara »

dgrillot2000

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 09:37:52 am »

Yes, I think it's important to judge SLD not by the speed of weight loss, but by it's ease compared with all the other (mostly tortuous!) methods.  I also think patience is significant.  For many of us, the initial loss is so quick and easy, that I think we get a little spoilt by it, and get a bit petulant when it slows down or becomes more erratic (I speak for myself too!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

I agree. I think this weight loss game is a long slow process and trying to hurry it eventually is self-defeating both in terms of weight loss and health.  As the song says: "nice and easy does it all the time". 

SLD is great in that it is possible to sustain a reduced appetite over an extended period of time requiring little self-discipline. SLD should be viewed as a change of life-style which one chooses.

buttonmylips

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 01:02:03 pm »

I had my thyroid gland removed many years ago and have a real struggle with weight loss.  I lost 45 lbs. on the Carb Addicts diet a number of years ago.  It took me a year and a half.  A friend went on the same program and lost the same amount of weight in 3 months.  Aargh!  Frustrating.  I have taken thyroid replacement for over 20 years now.  Pam

dgrillot2000

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 01:39:03 pm »

I have taken thyroid replacement for over 20 years now
~~~~~~~~~`

Me too.  However, I'm not sure in my case that the hypothroidism is the reason I gained weight.  I attribute it more to stuffing food in my mouth.  I get my thyroid levels checked twice a year and as long as it is in the normal range I consider myself normal even though some other may not  :D .

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18