Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
My Way.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Way.  (Read 4019 times)

Agi

My Way.
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »

I have been playing around with this "diet" for a few weeks now - didn't really note when I actually started. It was before I joined this forum and even before I got my book from Amazon.com. I ordered the book about the same time as I started the diet, but couldn't wait to start. I had read the NY Times article and found more info on the CalorieLab site (mostly from Stephen M. "Ethesis") and Restless Mind, read Seth's entire paper on self-experimentation, Duffbert's Random Musings, amongst other blogs and sites, and also read through many reviews of the book/method on Amazon.com. Being a cautious, somewhat cynical person, the Amazon.com reviews did not impress me all that much, because the vast majority of them were made by first-time posters, and anyone can sign up as many times as they like under different handles - so that left me a tad wary...

Regardless, I started doing the oil sometime in early to mid-July. I started with 1 tablespoon of refined (tasteless), organic coconut oil, taking 1 tablespoon 3 times a day. Did that for about a week, but nothing earthshaking happened, so I upped it to 2 Tbsps 3 x a day. Still nothing, except a couple of lbs of weight gain. By this time I had received and read the book and also come upon this forum, so I wasn't panicking. I just switched to Safflower oil (easier to swallow) and changed my technique to 2 Tbsp 2 x a day, morning and bedtime. Still no suppression or anything. I wanted that suppression!!!...  :)  Tried incorporating sugar water, made with (fruit-based) fructose and stirred into about 12 ozs of water, which I sipped for an hour and waited the extra hour window after. This suppressed mildly, but did not agree with my tendency towards yeast infections. After two separate tries (and a lot of demented scratching), to make sure that the reaction was indeed from the SW, I regretfully quit using it.

Next, I bought myself a set of nose clips on Ebay. The first time I tried them, I used them with a protein drink and the safflower oil. I used hydrolyzed whey protein. Kept the nose clips on about 10-15 minutes after finishing the drink.  Appetite worse than before.

I didn't want to do smoothies, because I had decided to stick with Low Carb after my run-in with the SW.  I have been doing Atkins for over 3 years and that was the only time I had knowingly strayed. It's second nature to me and it's a very healthy way to go, if you do it right. My aim here is just to lower my set point so I can start losing weight again.

So, I looked around my kitchen and came up with a low carb morning cereal consisting of Whey Protein, Flax meal, Oat fiber, Wheat bran, coconut and salt. You make it with hot water and it has a consistency like a thick, creamy rice cereal or cream of wheat. I added stevia because it's sweet and has some healthful properties. I also mixed in my safflower oil, which normally would add a yeccchhh factor but, since I couldn't taste it anyway, who cares?  So, I ate this concoction with my nose clips on and rinsed, drank water and left them on for about 10 minutes. I finally did feel definite appetite suppression when I took them off.  Lasted a few hours.

Next time, I did the same breakfast, but left the nose clips on for twice as long. That worked even better. No tempting thoughts of food for over 6 hours. So I played around with that concept a bit and found that the longer I leave on the nose clips, the better and longer the appetite suppression. I now have settled on my own variation of the breakfast cereal: I bought all the products in bulk and organic (except for the whey protein) from the health food store and mixed up a large batch, consisting of 280cc (Sorry... I have a 70cc scoop, that I was measuring with.) Of Whey protein, 280 cc of Flax meal, 210 cc of Wheat bran, 210 cc of Hemp protein and 210 cc finely shredded coconut flakes. I mixed these all up thoroughly and have 1/4 cup per day sweetened with some stevia for breakfast, with two eggs and, separately, 2 Tbsps of Walnut oil. Decided to try the Walnut in lieu of the Safflower oil. I leave the nose clips on for about 20 - 30 minutes. This gives me great suppression for hours after and I notice a definite tendency towards reaching satiety much more quickly when I do eat.

With the nose clipping I have noticed 2 other things:

1.I do taste sweet and salty quite distinctly. Since this does not interfere with the overall effect, it certainly works for me, especially since I love salty tastes. I can get this without over salting the eggs.

2. I have come to realize how much I love textures in food. For instance, two nights ago, I found myself hungry late at night, just before bedtime. So, it occurred to me to nose clip myself and eat a couple of low carb crackers with cheese and take my nightly oil at the same time. The cheese was Halloumi cheese, a pretty salty Greek sheep cheese. It was a wonderful bedtime snack with the crispness and mouth feel of the crackers, and the saltiness and, again, the mouth feel of the cheese. And, best of all, after about 4 bites, I was done. Waited out the nose clip time and went to bed without upsetting my set point.

Next, Iím going to be trying nose clipping more than once a day, since I seem to be so OK with it. I have no trouble chewing or swallowing with the nose clips. My only problem is that my nose always runs when I eat. No matter what I eat, spicy or bland, my nose runs. Itís a challenge dealing with that little phenomenon around the nose clips... But Iím managing, so itís OK.

Weight loss? Not yet. The normal 2-3 lbs up-down fluctuations, but nothing permanent. But I feel confident it will be coming sooner or later. Probably later with me, I fear...

I wanted to thank all the posters here for all the time and thought they have invested in communicating with and helping each other. They have also helped me tremendously and I have thoroughly enjoyed the generally very kind, helpful, intelligent, open-minded and positive atmosphere on this forum. (Did I miss anything?)      :)

A bit lengthy, eh? Well, I don't post too often, so I had a lot of catching up to do...    :)

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: My Way.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »

The spirit of self experiment is strong in this one...
Running weight tally:

CarolS

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »

Hmm.  Good ideas.  Good luck!

saggi girl

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »

Thank you for posting.  I enjoyed reading about the process you went through.  I am most impressed with your ability to work through the different approaches and find the method that works best for you.  That is the true spirit of SLD.

Agi

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »

Thanks for the support, ladies.  :)

Ann H

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:10:59 AM »

Another ditto here, Agi,:Neat, neat, neat! Thanks so much for your post!

There are a lot of people for whom the standard method seems to work only partially, and a lot of other people who are simply keen to monkey around. Since I'm in both of those categories, I especially appreciate your "recipe"!

My tortuous consulting project is almost over (weight still stable, luckily, thanks to slapping it down with a few days of 25%-60% tasteless calories several weeks ago), and I'm looking forward to spending more of my time and energy nourishing my body's weight loss through these refined methods. I'll try yours first! Though don't think I dare bring back hemp seeds--even ground--to my home in Southeast Asia from my upcoming US trip. Or poppy seeds, for that matter. :( Any other recommendations, anyone?

Ann H

Agi

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 08:00:48 AM »

Though don't think I dare bring back hemp seeds--even ground--to my home in Southeast Asia from my upcoming US trip. Or poppy seeds, for that matter. :( Any other recommendations, anyone?

Skip it! It wasn't in the original recipe anyway. I just put the hemp protein in because someone on the board wrote they tried it and it gave them energy. I can't say if it does or not. But it does add a disturbing green hue to my breakfast cereal. The original cereal looked more like oatmeal.  At least in color. Something humans would normally eat.  This looks more like something I should be offering to my horses or my goats.  I'm really pretty grateful that I don't actually have to taste it.  Kinda the same feeling I get from hearing about Tim Beneke's rabbit pellets....     :D

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

Man, you ought to see my smoothies lately.† I throw in anything leftover fruit and veg that's likely to go off. This morning's shake had a half a California avocado in it. It was a guacasmoothie!

You know, I'm actually happier with a noseclipped smoothie if I don't think it's something I'd want to taste. If it sounds like a delicious vanilla milkshake, it makes me sad. If it's got salmon oil, peas and plantains in it, I'm grateful for the noseclip.
Running weight tally:

Mmigee

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:19 PM »

I'm a little confused, it sounds like you're eating noseclipped meals WITH your oil? Does that still work?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

Agi, I didn't see your post until now. Saggi girl said it for me: "I am most impressed with your ability to work through the different approaches and find the method that works best for you."

Agi

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »

I'm a little confused, it sounds like you're eating noseclipped meals WITH your oil? Does that still work?

If you mean "work" inasmuch as not being hungry and not gaining more weight, then yes, it does. If you mean "work" by losing weight, then no, not yet.  But, as I mentioned before, I think I will be a slow one to kick into the weight loss portion, because I have been dieted to death over the years and my metabolism is shot (hopefully not dead...)  :)   

Agi

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 10:58:02 AM »

Agi, I didn't see your post until now. Saggi girl said it for me: "I am most impressed with your ability to work through the different approaches and find the method that works best for you."

Thanks, Seth. I think that's a pretty universal trait in this group though.  First there were Beneke balls, then crazy spicing, then noseclipping, then noseclipped smoothies. Maybe not in that exact order, but the innovations are many and the list goes on. I think some of us would be willing to stand on our heads, blindfolded with noseclips on and singing Yankee Doodle Dandy in front of an oncoming bus at rush hour, if that would guarantee a 0.5 lb weight loss every time you did it for 10 minutes a day....  :)

I say, just keep 'em coming! We'll break this code yet...  :)

rosekelly

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

I think some of us would be willing to stand on our heads, blindfolded with noseclips on and singing Yankee Doodle Dandy in front of an oncoming bus at rush hour, if that would guarantee a 0.5 lb weight loss every time you did it for 10 minutes a day....

Hahaha! I'd even sing it backwards.  :lol:

Rose

bigbaddar

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 12:50:12 PM »

I can't sing...but I would surely hum a few bars of that Yankee Doodle Song.  Hey, I'd even tap with red, white and blue shoes. Wouldn't care who was watching. 

Hmmm...I wonder....What else would we do to lose .5 lbs???

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18