Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
mtb604

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mtb604  (Read 3123 times)

mtb604

mtb604
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »

I've been on for two weeks now, and have not lost any weight. I'm using 2 tbs SW in the morning and 2 tbs canolo oil in the afternoon. My appetite seems to be less, but not dramatically reduced as I read in the forum.

Vitals: Male, 43. On an exercise program and the standard ABC heart disease medications.

Still waiting...

mtb604

mtb604

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: mtb604
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »

Hmmm...well, two weeks isn't a very long time by SLD standards. But if you're not feeling appetite suppression, I'd be tempted to adjust something. I'm always suspicious of sugar water, but that's pure ex-Atkinsite prejudice on my part.

Are the medications you're on known for interfering with metabolism or anything?
Running weight tally:

mtb604

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »

Beta blockers can lower metabolism, but that usually just results in drowsiness. I haven't found any reports that it has an effect on weight loss.
I do get more appetite suppression from the oil, but I'm somewhat wary of taking more oil, because the doctor is monitoring my cholesterol.

mtb604

mtb604

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »

I do get more appetite suppression from the oil, but I'm somewhat wary of taking more oil, because the doctor is monitoring my cholesterol.

Ugh. Yes. My doctor is, too. I'm right on the borderline. I haven't had blood work since starting SLD, but I'll have it done in a few weeks and I so don't want to go on cholesterol meds.

Olive oil supposedly reduces LDL (or increases the percentage of HDL, I forget). I take 2 tbs of olive oil and 1 tbs of salmon oil for SLD. Rumor has it psyllium fiber and cinnamon are both good for cholesterol. To increase my SLD calories, I've added a smoothie (which I drink with noseclips) that includes psyllium and cinnamon, one teaspoon each.

For weight loss, it's working. For cholesterol...ask me in a month.
Running weight tally:

mtb604

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 05:44:01 PM »

I've thought of doing the noseclip-smoothie, but it seems complicated to get the 2-hour window in the morning, what with coffee and all.

mtb604

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 05:45:53 PM »

Well, I've also thought about grinding up a few coffee beans in my morning smoothie. 

I'll do a lot of things in the short term I wouldn't dream of doing for the rest of my life...
Running weight tally:

melissacb

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 07:49:52 PM »

I don't think you have to nose clip or observe the 2 hour window while you eat/consume the crazy spiced smoothie.  I believe the random spices render the smoothie calories flavorless and therefore setpoint lowering (and probably appetite suppressing for some).  Some SLDers have found success while noseclipping.  I have just started with smoothies in order to hasten my sloooow weight loss.  It's too soon to gauge the results.  Best of luck. :lol:

TalkingRat

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 08:09:05 PM »

The day my appetite supression kicked in, I lost my craziness over coffee.  But a few beans in a smoothie.  Oh, wait, I wouldn't taste them anyway... :(

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:46:36 PM »

I agree with melissacb. The reason for the 2 hour window is so that the calories in the oil or sugar water don't get associated with another food -- a diet coke, for example. Because the crazy-spiced smoothie has lots of flavor, the calories become associated with that flavor. It's okay because you never have that flavor again.

mtb604

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »

I agree with melissacb. The reason for the 2 hour window is so that the calories in the oil or sugar water don't get associated with another food -- a diet coke, for example. Because the crazy-spiced smoothie has lots of flavor, the calories become associated with that flavor. It's okay because you never have that flavor again.

But you need the 2-hour window if you are nose-clipping don't you? Because by nose-clipping you are trying to get the calories without the taste, right?
mtb604

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »

right, if you are nose-clipping . . . 2 hour window.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18