Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Below goal w/Fast-5, chia, caffeine-free

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Below goal w/Fast-5, chia, caffeine-free  (Read 14179 times)

Jbird

Below goal w/Fast-5, chia, caffeine-free
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »

I just had to reset my goal weight because I'm below the original goal of 124.4 I set on Jan. 17, when I started posting and weighed 132.4. Today, exactly 9 months later, I weigh 120, which I always considered my ideal, based on the old formula of 100 lbs. for the first five feet, then 5 lbs. for each subsequent inch of height (for a female). I'm between 5'4" and 5'5". I've used different methods, starting with oil (different kinds), moving on to platinum calories, experimenting with nose clipping and blood glucose monitoring, etc. I've tended to jump on other people's bandwagons! I was up and down with the same 5-6 lbs. or so until I jumped on Goblyn's bandwagon in early Aug. and started using chia, then swore off caffeine, and the piece de resistance--started Fast-5 on Aug. 19. With the exception of 5 days when I was visiting family, I've followed Fast-5 religiously--a way of (not) eating that really suits me, not just for weight loss, but for benefits that include improved mood and focus. I felt reluctant to post on the "I Made It" thread because I'm not following the original Shangri-la diet. But I first read about Fast-5 on this forum, and I found that being a faithful poster and reader of others' comments helped me stay committed to losing weight whatever method I was using. So I do feel like a Shangri-la success story, even if I'm not using oil or sugar water as my current technique.

NTB

• Getting Stronger
Re: Below goal w/Fast-5, chia, caffeine-free
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »

Yay, Jbird - congratulations on this big achievement!

It's impressive that you were able to go even below your goal weight, that you've seen additional benefits in how you feel, and that you've found a way of eating that you can sustain.  Out of curiosity, if you had to divide the 12.4 pound loss into how many pounds were lost by each method -- SLD oils, nose clippig, PC, chia, fast-5, etc., either alone or in various combinations, how would you analyze it?  It would be interesting to know which methods led to either the greatest, fastest, or most permanent losses.  Not that the same methods would work for everyone, but we are always interested in learning from success.

In my case, while I think all these methods have some benefits, I also found that IF is the most reliable and the fastest way to lose weight.  I finally hit my long term goal of 150.0 lbs today, down 35 pounds from where I started.  IF probably accounts for 1/3 to 1/2 of the pounds lost, and it is something I find I can turn on or turn off at will, whereas the other methods are less predictable.

Todd
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

Jbird

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »

Hi Todd: Congrats on your own, much more substantial achievement! You have been very influential in my own success. I know YOU know that, but I want EVERYONE to know! Neither oil nor noseclipping did much for me, but blood glucose monitoring and platinum calories (either coconut oil or heavy cream) were more helpful and made me more conscious of the need to pay attention to my reactive hypoglycemia, which was diagnosed when I was 20 but was never really under control. I see platinum calories as a kind of precursor to my success with Fast-5 because I would have coconut oil or heavy cream first thing with coffee or tea and then try to delay eating till afternoon. All those methods are responsible for the first half of my weight loss (about 6 lbs.), and I'd say most of that happened with the platinum calories/delayed eating method. Chia and eliminating caffeine didn't result in weight loss per se, but further paved the way for being able to fast because I think they both helped me feel full and regulate my blood sugar. They are still part of my regimen. It's very clear that the method that had the most dramatic impact was Fast-5. I struggled to lose the first half of the weight in 8 months and then lost the last half effortlessly in just a month once I started intermittent fasting. Not only that, but I don't think I've been at this weight since my teens. As an adult, my low range has been 123-128 and my high range 130-135. The past few years, I was stuck in my high range, even though I'm very physically active. I was also getting heavier around my waist, which was always relatively small. I thought it was inevitable that I would have a changed body shape with the "change of life." Now I feel I could actually keep losing, but I think I should try and maintain. I feel happy with the way I look and feel, and I don't want to put pressure on myself to maintain an unnatural body shape. My BMI is around 20, which is right in the middle of the healthy range, I think. I told my Mom today that I'm going to look at my present weight as the low end of my goal range and have 125 as the high end. That seems like something I can comfortably maintain, allowing for a little less activity during the winter, holiday parties, some travel, etc. Real life!

Sanchiaza

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »

Well, that's awesome both of you - what an achievement!  8)

IndianGirl

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS, Jbird and Todd :)
Interesting to read about the paths you took, thanks.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »

This is very interesting! Congratulations JBird!
Incidentally, I have intuitively been on an almost similar path.
Looking for something to avoid breakfast (for convenience not weight loss) I found 1 tsp of coconut oil helped me though the a.m. without hunger till 13:00 (apart from a sugary coffee almost next to the CO)
That was in June or July, not sure... and it made me lose 4 or 5 pounds that I had gained last Xmas and couldn't shed.
Then in August travelled for one week and thanks to chia (didn't bring CO with me) managed to maintain.
So here I am at 59 kg (130 lb). I'm the same height as you JBird and 55 kg (around 120 lbs) is my ideal weight which coincides with the good old formula you mention.
So I think I can say I'm on platinum calories and a quasi-IF :) - if you disregard 1 tsp CO and 1 sugary coffee, I go 15, 16 hours without food.
I just need to figure out how to break the 59 kg plateau now.
Thanks for sharing your success JB, and NTB too. There's hope! :)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Heidi 555

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »

Congratulations Jaye!  Your posts since you started fast-5 have been really inspiring.  I bet that people will be getting on the Jbird bandwagon soon.  That's great that you've found what really works for you.  Keep us posted on how maintenance goes.

Congrats to you too Todd!  You should do a post in the I Made It section.  It's always good to hear more success stories, even if people make it in other ways besides just SLD.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »

well done both jbird and ntb!!

TalkingRat

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »

Congratulations on your well-earned success, JBird!   

hopefulskeptic

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »

Congratulations! What exciting news to be below goal. Very inspiring.

I had a quick question for you. I'm thinking of trying out Fast 5 in conjunction with SLD. Taking oil really seems to work for me but I've noticed that I still tend to eat even when I'm not hungry (due to social/work pressures) and I feel like this is slowing down my progress at the end stage of my plan. I feel like if I committed to Fast 5 I'd be able to hold out till dinner at home, easily, where I can make better eating choices than at work or eating out.

My question is this: if I took Chia seeds and my oil in the morning would this negate the benefit of Fast 5 if my eating hours were in the evening? In other words, do you think I should wait to have my oil + chia in the beginning of my Fast 5 hours till the 5 hours of eating, or do you think the calories are low enough that it wouldn't make a difference? I'm thinking taking the oil + chia would help me not eat till the Fast 5 hours - but then again, like I said, I'm pretty confident I could make it till the Fast 5 hours without them, too, so I'd rather just do what's ideal ...

Hope this makes sense. Thanks so much for reading and congrats again on your success. I only have 8.5 lbs to go till goal but they seem to be the hardest!
I'm 5'7. This is my second round with SLD, and I'm in my fourth week.

Jbird

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »

That's great that you're so close to goal! Congratulations on your progress! I don't think the issue with using oil and chia seeds earlier in the day has to do with the amount of
calories but with the effect on insulin. It shouldn't be a problem, in theory, since neither would produce a blood sugar spike. I know others here have tried combining Fast-5 with oil, but I don't know how they fared. Pinkmug reports doing something similar a few messages down, though I think the sugar would be considered disruptive to Fast-5 as written. Combining what already works for you (oil) with something that encourages you to resist social/work pressure (Fast-5) might be just what you need to get to goal. Good luck and let us know how that works for you!

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »

I just had to reset my goal weight because I'm below the original goal of 124.4 I set on Jan. 17, when I started posting and weighed 132.4. Today, exactly 9 months later, I weigh 120, which I always considered my ideal

Jbird -- Congratulations on your fantastic success!  There is nothing like reaching, or exceeding a longterm goal such as you did.

My question is this: if I took Chia seeds and my oil in the morning would this negate the benefit of Fast 5 if my eating hours were in the evening? In other words, do you think I should wait to have my oil + chia in the beginning of my Fast 5 hours till the 5 hours of eating, or do you think the calories are low enough that it wouldn't make a difference? I'm thinking taking the oil + chia would help me not eat till the Fast 5 hours - but then again, like I said, I'm pretty confident I could make it till the Fast 5 hours without them, too, so I'd rather just do what's ideal ...

Hi hopefulskeptic,

I'm with Jbird on this, I see no problem in using oil or chia as "crutch" to help ease the transition to fast-5.  Small doses of oil or fast-5 are non-insulinogenic -- they will barely budge your insulin levels, and your blood sugar will remain stable.  Hence, your appetite suppression should remain high.  Still, it is helpful to allow as much time as possible before and after the oil or chia without eating anything....this will allow basal insulin levels to get very low.  Even a slightly elevated basal insulin tends to slow down or inhibit fat-burning and conversion of glycogen to glucose.  The more time you allow for true fasting, the more readily your body will learn to burn fat and glycogen "on demand".  The ultimate benefit of fasting and ultra-low insulin is not the weight loss per se, but rather the ability to easily and quickly get your energy from your own fat and glycogen.  This is what truly liberates your appetite from the clock and thoughts of food.

But your metabolism does not shift over to fat burning overnight.  It takes time, and trying to switch over to fasting too quickly can backfire, leading to hunger and headaches.  So your suggestion of "bridging" the gap with a little oil or chia makes ultimate sense to me, and you can gradually lengthen the time between these small doses and regular meals.

Todd
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

Phoebe

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »

Still, it is helpful to allow as much time as possible before and after the oil or chia without eating anything....this will allow basal insulin levels to get very low.  Even a slightly elevated basal insulin tends to slow down or inhibit fat-burning and conversion of glycogen to glucose.  The more time you allow for true fasting, the more readily your body will learn to burn fat and glycogen "on demand".

Hi Todd,
I found your insight very helpful.  What are your thoughts on drinking diet sodas with Fast-5?  Do you think that no-calorie artificial sweeteners mess with your insulin/blood sugar?  Does caffeine?  I know that there is some disagreement on this, and I'm curious about what you think since you always have a scientific answer.  Thanks!

hopefulskeptic

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »

Thanks Todd + JBird! I really appreciate the response.

I started off the day with a coffee and about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in it. I've been sipping some apple cider vinegar + water all day (I read that vinegar can lower your blood sugar and just kind of enjoy the taste) and have easily not had anything to eat yet. If fact, I've had such good AS it's hard to imagine taking my oil. But I'm going to anyway, in about an hour.

Tonight I'll just eat whatever I like between 5 and 10, along with some Chia seeds. Looking forward to seeing how this goes! I know it can take 3 weeks to see results ...
I'm 5'7. This is my second round with SLD, and I'm in my fourth week.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18