Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Crazy Spicing Variation: Turmeric and water surpresses appetite

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy Spicing Variation: Turmeric and water surpresses appetite  (Read 13716 times)

spired

Japan's recently seen an upswing in popularity of turmeric-laced drinks to make you feel more energetic.  Okinawans have traditionally taken cold water and turmeric as a refreshing tea of sorts.  Turmeric's the yellow spice typically used in curry.

After reading about all the great anti-inflammatory and anti-alzheimer properties of turmeric (and it's active ingredient curcumin), I bought a couple of spice jars, keeping one at home and one at the office where I mix it with water or cold green tea.  I just splash a little on top and stir.  The flavor takes a little getting used to but I quite like it now. 

The SLD side effect is that after drinking turmeric-water, I feel incredibly full.  It seems like the more lukewarm the water/tea I use is, the stronger the appetite surpressing effect.  With ice cold water it's refreshing but doesn't seem to surpress appetite as well.  I thought this was a crazing spicing thing and that my body would get used to it as a ditto flavor...But it's been more than 2 weeks now and I still get really full after drinking a glass of tea with a touch of turmeric!  The effect is immediate and I haven't been observing any flavor windows around it.

There might be rebound effect though...I've had some days where I'm incredibly hungry and it's possible that it just delays the hunger.  Anyway, it's supposed to be good for you so hopefully others can try it and report back!

And I have been doing the last thing at night and first thing in the morning flaxseed oil SLD...

bean

Re: Crazy Spicing Variation: Turmeric and water surpresses appetite
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:00:18 AM »

Wow, that's fantastic news, Spired.

Before you started drinking th turmeric tea, were you getting good appetite supression from SLD?

I've been using flaxseed oil too, and the appetite supression is there, but not duper-duper at the moment. That could be just me. I'm a bit periodical with my periods at the moment...

I'm going to try the turmeric tea too. So far, after 6 weeks and no loss, I'm willing to try anthing!

Bean

kindall

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:53 AM »

You can get turmeric in capsules as well. I happen to have some of that (I bought it because it was reputed to help control blood sugar levels) but I haven't been taking it since starting the SLD. Took a couple caps this morning with some other supplements and half a liter of sugar water; we'll see what happens.

spired

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:58:18 PM »

I'm getting some supression from SLD...I want to get to the point where I can eat one meal a day but I'm not there yet.  I do notice a sizeable change in how full I feel.  I think I've been less successful in translating that into actually eating less as a result of it.

akhdar

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:34:19 AM »

In some class, down the line, I learned that flavoured water can hydrate more quickly than unflavoured water. This may not be true but the explanation we received was that if the water be flavoured, the body mistakes it for food and therefore it is shunted to the small intestine (rather than the large) and is absorbed more quickly due to the lessened transit time. It has to be mostly water with a small amount of flavouring (I used to use tiny amounts of unsweetened cranberry or cherry juice).

I wonder if this may partially explain the turmeric effect -- that the body is "translating" the water as food. And therefore filling you up, at least temporarily. Another flavour-calorie effect?

I don't know if any of the above information is accurate as the source was sketchy.

I just wanted to throw that theory out there.

At any rate, it sounds as though it is working well for you!

Keep us posted.

Akh.

bean

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:44:32 AM »

It might be a coincidence, but having taken turmeric tea for 2 days I have experienced a weird "low blood sugar" kind of feeling. Not good appetite suppression either, but this might be due to having taken these 2 days off from SLD as I have not lost any weight, nor felt consistent appetite suppression over the previous 6 wks, and thought maybe a few days off might kick start the effect, as it seems to have done for a few other plateau-ers.
I'm sure I read that turmeric had a good effect on blood sugar. Perhaps I had too much. (a small teaspoon in tea about 3 times each day)

akhdar

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 02:37:06 PM »

That is so fascinating, bean.

Thanks for the information! Spices are powerhouses with unintended consequences -- luckily, mostly beneficial! Perhaps we should start a Spice SLD to ascertain their varying properties! You have started the trend with turmeric tea.

Best,

Akhdar

Fibrosufferer

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »

I just started to take turmeric as a tea and it has suppressed my appetite. Not sure yet if I will lose weight.

babyhopes

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 05:47:27 AM »

I am definately going to have to try Tumeric with warm water, it sounds like a good plan. I recently really wanted to eat chocolate cereal and I crazy spiced it with indian spices that included tumeric and I barely finished the bowl so there may be something to this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18