Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Ani's progress

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Ani's progress  (Read 56624 times)

ani

Ani's progress
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:53:36 PM »

Hi all. I don't have a scale, but I'm female, basically a short (5'2") US size 12, carrying most of my weight in my upper body. I get moderate exercise walking and dancing, but I used to be a runner and I've expanded considerably since those days. I eat excellent food -- fresh fruits and vegetables, salads, nuts, fish -- but with no effective appetite/satiety system, I've been constantly eating a little too much of everything. Obviously it's piled up.

I read about Kindall's experiences on another site, was impressed as he dealt politely and sensibly with skeptics there, and then, just out of curiosity, started taking oil (a tablespoon each of flaxseed and extra-light olive). That was six days ago. The results have been so interesting that I'm going to stick with it and see what happens. I'm even going to buy a scale, though I've resisted it for years.

None of this will surprise any of you, but I guess I hadn't realized just how out of whack my appetite had been. Several times over the last week I've wandered into the staff room at work, thought absent-mindedly about snacking on a few almonds, and then realized that this would entail putting them in my mouth and eating them, and hmm: why on earth would I want to do that?

Yesterday I went out for brunch with friends, my first restaurant meal since the start. I felt some actual hunger pangs, so I ordered a veggie omelet with hash browns. I couldn't finish my coffee. At first, I looked at the plate of food I'd ordered with some dismay; the only things that looked appealing were the orange, cantaloupe, and cucumber slices served as garnish. I had those, then waited a while. Eventually I finished most of my meal, but it was a deliberate choice to do so, not a kind of mindless default behavior.

I've noticed that since beginning with the oil I've been monumentally thirsty. I'm drinking two or three litres of water every day. Coincidentally, this has been my pre-menstrual week, so till today I was walking around with a mighty ocean sloshing around inside me. Today, finally, I'm...considerably smaller.

In the past I've occasionally dropped a size by forcing myself to follow the "no S" guidelines (no sweets, snacks, or seconds); now that seems to be happening all on its own.
I don't want to overreact and rush things, but I'm very happy and hopeful right now. If nothing else, it's wonderful to be free of the "should I eat something now? How about now?" background chatter.

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: Ani's progress
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »

I don't want to overreact and rush things, but I'm very happy and hopeful right now. If nothing else, it's wonderful to be free of the "should I eat something now? How about now?" background chatter.

Though I was lucky enough to have a huge rush of loss at the beginning (and others have been even luckier to have a steady, high weight loss), this isn't usually the fastest diet going. What sets it apart is that it's not merely painless, it's actually pleasant. Cravings go away, tastes shift, eventually you notice an improvement in skin and nails. I can totally see me having ELOO for breakfast for the rest of my life. I like me better this way than before.

Welcome, by the way.
Running weight tally:

hypatia

• SLD Tracking Data
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »

I read about Kindall's experiences on another site, was impressed as he dealt politely and sensibly with skeptics there

Let me guess, does it start with an "M"?  :wink:

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 03:19:22 PM »

whereas I have no idea what site you are refering to.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 04:45:07 PM »

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/42506
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/22663

I googled kindall and weight loss. Interesting threads.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 09:53:35 PM »

ani, are bekel's two threads what you are refering to?

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/43125

This is probably it. MetaFilter is an interesting place. Here Kindall is refuting a person who got his info from Calorie Lab.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »

thanks, bekel, yes, that is probably what ani meant.

ani

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »

You got it right.  :D

Tonight, probably for the first time, I snarfed down rather more than I wanted, and was feeling bloaty and disappointed till I thought about what I'd actually eaten: a piece of toast with avocado and a bowl of Kashi with soy milk. A bit carb-heavy, but hardly a binge, you know?

This appetite suppression is going to take some getting used to. It isn't particularly pleasant, but it isn't unpleasant either. It's almost dauntingly neutral.

kindall

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:59:18 PM »

Yeah, that's me. Seth, if you want to quote me in the next edition saying your plan "work like a m*****f*****" go right ahead. ;)

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 11:08:28 PM »

Your quote will probably be on the opposite page from discussions about intestinal problems, the discussions about TOM, and all of the other issues that make each visit here a revelatory experience!

:D :) :lol:

ani

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 04:55:34 PM »

Well, now that I have a scale, it turns out I weigh 167. I didn't think I was an ounce over fifty. I'm pretty solid -- even as a marathon runner I was 115 or so, which is substantial given that I'm so short -- but even so, that means I should lose about fifty pounds. It's a lot more than I realized, and that's a little daunting.

The numbers haven't come down in the few days since I got the scale. That's all right -- I feel much lighter and I know my waist is significantly smaller.

Appetite suppression seems to be tailing off a little; it's effective during the day, but for the last couple of nights I've had to talk myself out of eating too much at dinner.  I'm not sure what tweaks to try first. I guess adding sugar water would be easiest, but I find the prospect really unpleasant, and I worry about my teeth. So I guess it'll have to be noseclips. I'll head out to a sports store tomorrow and see what I can find.

Has anyone else experienced a dip in appetite suppresion somewhere around the two-week point?

ani

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »

Holding out at 167 for about a week now. Of course, I have no idea what happened in week 1 when I didn't have a scale; perhaps I lost right away. In any case I'm glad there's been so much discussion about plateaus and slow times.

ani

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 11:12:04 PM »

Tomorrow will be the three-week point. As I mentioned earlier, I don't know whether I lost anything over the first few days, because I had no scale back then. I wish I had some "progress" to report, but it's just been more of the same. This morning I thought I'd lost a couple of pounds, but it was just my imprecise analog scale fooling me. I still haven't budged -- holding still at 167.

For the last few days I've been using noseclips for oil and the occasional smoothie. Appetite suppression is still pretty good. I still generally have at least something at all conventional mealtimes, but I don't think it's even half what I'm used to eating.

I do wish I were getting some results, but I've been insanely busy at work, so I'm highly stressed and not sleeping much. I'll see how things shake out once life gets a little more stable.

lisalgreer

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »

Ani,
I just wanted to mention that sleep is a biggie for me. If I don't get 7 hours or more each night, the weight is veerry slow to budge or it goes up. :shock: I hope you get a break and some sleep... and hopefully that's not a problem you have. I have decided that my set point is most definitely affected by sleep.

Best,
Lisa

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18