Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I become my own lab rat

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I become my own lab rat  (Read 10231 times)

Naja

Re: I become my own lab rat
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 08:11:10 PM »

Hmm.  For two weeks, I did 120-200 calories a day in oil in the morning, and on about a third of those days I also had a crazy spiced smoothies in the afternoon for lunch.  I evaluated the effects of this experiment and came to the following conclusions:

1.  On the oil for breakfast, I was uncomfortably hungry.  I went back to my habitual breakfast, which is about 200-300 calories of protein and fat with just a few carbs, and got *much* better survivability without hunger through the workday until lunchtime.   My workdays are a bit dicey in terms of being able to take time for lunch, so whatever I have for breakfast at 8AM is quite often the only daytime rations I can get, aside from a canned protein shake, until fairly late in the day (2 to 6PM). My usual low carb breakfast worked much better than sucking oil in the morning to reliably fuel me. 

2.  I simply cannot tell if I experienced any more appetite suppression than I normally do when low carbing.  I get that effect just from low carbing.  And I was always starving in the early part of the day, since it's not practical for me to eat anything at work between breakfast and what is generally a pretty late lunch.

3.  I GAINED weight during this time.  This was rather annoying, since on many days I was not eating more than 1000 calories.  It's hard to get in too many calories when breakfast is 200 calories of oil and lunch is 250 calories of smoothie. 

WTF.  I definitely performed the experiment within the parameters, but obviously the parameters need tweaking. 

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2006, 05:59:23 PM »

to begin to figure out what might have gone wrong it would be helpful to know more about you. How much do you weigh? How tall are you? what is your target weight? How was your weight changing before you started SLD?

Naja

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2006, 07:32:33 PM »

to begin to figure out what might have gone wrong it would be helpful to know more about you. How much do you weigh? How tall are you? what is your target weight? How was your weight changing before you started SLD?

I am 5' 3" and was 141 lbs at the start of the two week experiment.  I went up to 149 by the end of it.   :shock:  That's the first significant upward trend I've seen in my weight since I started getting health conscious.

I do not have a specific target weight, since I wish to reduce my body fat percentage and add muscle.  My target is a lower body fat percentage and more lean muscle mass.  I'm estimating that I'll be closer to goal around 120.  But the scale isn't the final arbiter, just an assessment tool along the way.

I do a modified cyclic low carb diet, which is to say I normally consume around 30-50 carbs a day, sometimes with the addition of another 20-50 high glycemic index carbs immediately before, during and after weight lifting workouts.

My weight has been slowly but steadily dropping over the last two years as I have been eating healthy low carb food and working out.  In the last six months my work schedule has been crazy enough that I've stopped working out regularly.  Since I'm no longer doing 4X weekly workouts (mostly weights, some cardio), I dropped my carbs a lot lower from the previous isocaloric diet of whole grains, veggies, fruit and lean meat and have continued to lose weight while preserving lean body mass. 

The last 20 lbs are, of course, the slowest and most stubborn.  So I thought that applying some of the SLD principles might be helpful.  It seemed like reasonably solid science, but its application in my case does not seem to have brought about the desired results and I am unclear as to why.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18