Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
3FC review of SLD book

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 3FC review of SLD book  (Read 21259 times)

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
Re: 3FC review of SLD book
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »

last night i responded to a post about SLD in the 3FC forums, specifically in the one called "does it work?"  this morning the whole thread is gone.  some posters were asking about SLD, a few people responded "read the review on the site--it will help you" and then i responded about reading the book and checking out these forums as even better ways to investigate SLD.

the thread is gone!  i don't know if i violated 3FC forum rules or what but don't you get reprimanded if you break the rules?  i didn't.  the whole thing just disappearred.  weird.

while you are here, snowinapril, do you have any information about what happened in this instance i'm quoting above?  i'm afraid its what started the renewed interest in posting at 3FC (at least for me) before suzanne locked that thread.

there is the implication in your posts here as well as in the locked thread that the "seth roberts membership" were sent over to disrupt things at 3FC but i see stephen's posts as well as mine as practical information to compliment the theory in the book since it seems strange to many and that was confirmed in the review as well questions posted to the SLD thread. and we weren't sent over by seth roberts--that's what i meant by "demonizing."  he is not the mastermind of anything except the book.  perhaps it comes down to perception rather than any group being right or wrong.

i'm sorry if it was perceived as more sinister than that.  it was never more than those of us who are no longer hungry telling people about the whys and hows of SLD

and in the spirit of self-experimentation here we would probably welcome someone who came over to talk about their eating plan as nearly any WOE can be paired with SLD.  :D

SnowInApril

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2006, 11:05:27 PM »

The two threads were merged into one as they were both on the same topic.  Also when there is a general forum the thread with the most recent post gets bumped up to the top. If you go into "Does it work?" The thread titled "Shangri-la diet - comments and experiences" is still there.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 03:18:14 AM by SnowInApril »

TalkingRat

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2006, 11:11:49 PM »

I look forward to reading the book when it comes out
   Huh??

SnowInApril

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »

I haven't seen it in any of the stores where I am not  a big fan of shopping on-line.

I am going to be visiting the U.S. soon and will look for it when I am there.

TalkingRat

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2006, 11:22:07 PM »

OK, thanks.  I was getting confused.  And since the site is down, there was no way to tell if this was an old quote or what. 

paulkimelman

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2006, 11:24:39 PM »

> I think it is proper netiqette to obtain permission from  the owner of a site before promoting anything on their site or posting links to other sites (each person's site has different policies and rules about this).

I am sorry SnowInApril, but this is nonsense. Your board published a review of this diet. So, you "invited" response to that review. I believe that the responses were just that. Any links to this site would be reasonable as a pointer to where more information to be gained. As long as the responses were respectful and not hostile, your locking the thread and removing postings is simply censorship of views you (or Suzanne) do not share. That is a very sad statement indeed.

SnowInApril

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2006, 11:25:18 PM »

Thank you chrianna for responding and helping me understand your point of view.

Take care!

Snow

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 03:18:46 AM by SnowInApril »

paulkimelman

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »

At the risk of this becoming a pointless debate, I would like to clarify one thing: If you have a restriction on links, that is fine. The normal method is to rermove the link and replace it with "<removed link>". Most forum programs support this automatically, so you do not have to hand edit.

If you rules prohibit solicitation of commercial interests (spam), that is reasonable and normal.

If your rules restrict any view that is contrary to the owner, that is pretty sad.

It would appear that the latter is what took place. I hope that I am wrong.

SnowInApril

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2006, 12:15:05 AM »

Well happily you are wrong.  :D

I most likely won't post again as I only wanted to clarify my personal opinion and my post.

Well good night and goodbye all and I wish you all success with your plans. :)

Snow

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 03:35:31 AM by SnowInApril »

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2006, 06:25:48 AM »

You do have to be careful when visiting other forums about coming off like a "true believer." Every new diet generates a crowd of zealots who have early success with the plan and run around promoting the diet as THE ANSWER to weight problems. Six months later, of course, they've fallen off the diet and are nowhere to be found. I'm sure people who run dieting forums are sick to death of having to deal with these people, as they can be quite annoying. Right now, from the standpoint of someone who's not actually doing SLD but rather trying to run a diet support forum, there's little to distinguish SLD adherents from others who have come and gone. Give SLD a year to show it has staying power and is not just a fad, and I think a lot of this will go away.

Excellent point.

This is the first time I've ever posted about a diet like this or had experiences that seemed worthwhile in this context, but you are right about that cycle.  You change what you eat with a diet, so naturally you lose weight for 2-3 weeks.  Then you start to plateau and try to figure out what you suddenly are doing wrong, then the diet fails.

And SLD sure looks screwy from the outside.  Only because it was on Freakeconomics did I give it a further look, since they have a high credibility with me on counter-intiutive things.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2006, 06:29:51 AM »

The two threads were merged into one as they were both on the same topic.  Also when there is a general forum the thread with the most recent post gets bumped up to the top. If you go into "Does it work?" The thread titled "Shangri-la diet - comments and experiences" is still there.

Thanks for the clarification.

The two merged threads are also locked, or where last time I visited.  I guess I took the accusation of trolling (which is flaming people to draw angry comments and attention) somewhat hard.

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

I really did not think any of us were doing that.

If I came across as "designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members" I'm very sorry.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2006, 06:32:22 AM »

Well happily you are wrong.  :D

I most likely won't post again as I only wanted to clarify my personal opinion and my post.

Well good night and goodbye all and I wish you all success with your plans. :)

Snow

Thanks for the clarification.

Hope all goes well with you.

paulkimelman

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2006, 08:16:31 AM »

Stephen, I do not think your attempted posting on their board would be considered trolling at all. You posted in response to the thread in a respectful manner and to the point of the discussion. Clarifying points or adding factual corrections is not considered trolling. Sadly, 3FC seems to operate on "truthiness" more than anything else, as I found by a cursory review. They have that right to be narrow minded, but they should be clearer about their aim and goals. Instead, they claim to be trying to create more of a support group that helps to find the optimal solutions for their members. It is a laudable goal, but if the 3 women are the only ones who can interpret or understand the diet, and their word is the final one, they have lost a lot of their value.

To be fair to them, they do put SLD top and center (for now, they will move onto something else in a while). But, if they are unwilling to correct factual errors (from Suzanne), then it calls into question their reading of any diet they review/research. That is a shame.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2006, 02:35:16 PM »

Stephen, I do not think your attempted posting on their board would be considered trolling at all. You posted in response to the thread in a respectful manner and to the point of the discussion. Clarifying points or adding factual corrections is not considered trolling. Sadly, 3FC seems to operate on "truthiness" more than anything else, as I found by a cursory review. They have that right to be narrow minded, but they should be clearer about their aim and goals. Instead, they claim to be trying to create more of a support group that helps to find the optimal solutions for their members. It is a laudable goal, but if the 3 women are the only ones who can interpret or understand the diet, and their word is the final one, they have lost a lot of their value.

To be fair to them, they do put SLD top and center (for now, they will move onto something else in a while). But, if they are unwilling to correct factual errors (from Suzanne), then it calls into question their reading of any diet they review/research. That is a shame.

Thanks for your input.  I just took being called a troll pretty hard, and didn't see how I fit into the classic definition.

I think they are trying hard, but there is so much fraud in the diet world it isn't hard to see how they would gain a certain perspective or vision on the world.

Guess we should just be patient with them.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18