Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
3FC review of SLD book

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 3FC review of SLD book  (Read 21258 times)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: 3FC review of SLD book
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »

This experience with 3FF (3 Fat Fascists!) just illustrates yet again how wonderful Seth is, for his open-minded attitude about experimentation with the dieting process.  Seth does not squelch or delete dissenting posts on his site; he tries to counter them with reasonable responses.  Seth is respectful of others.

well, thanks, saggi girl!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »

This experience with 3FF (3 Fat Fascists!) just illustrates yet again how wonderful Seth is, for his open-minded attitude about experimentation with the dieting process.  Seth does not squelch or delete dissenting posts on his site; he tries to counter them with reasonable responses.  Seth is respectful of others.

well, thanks, saggi girl!

Well, a search on Amazon using shangri-la diet puts this book as the number one result ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/104-8727895-3467112?search-alias=books&keywords=The%20Shangri-La%20Diet&rank=+availability,-proj-total-margin

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet: Because We're All in It Together (Hardcover)
by Suzanne Barnett, Jennifer Barnett Lesman, Amy Barnett Buchanan, Bev West "WHEN YOU'RE CONTEMPLATING a climb up the slippery slope of weight loss toward your personal fitness peak, it's best not to spend too much time..." (more)

paulkimelman

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 03:57:51 PM »

Yes, it seems that Amazon has a problem. They rate the words in the content as highly as in the title. The "The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide" book also shows up because it uses the word Shangri-la in one sentence and diet in another sentence on the same page. Likewise with the 3FC book.

And yes, to your point, the 3FC board is being censored since they want to sell their book. To be honest, I have no idea if Seth or his publisher would censor this board if you started promoting a competing book/diet.

saggi girl

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 04:14:44 PM »

To be honest, I have no idea if Seth or his publisher would censor this board if you started promoting a competing book/diet.

Highly unlikely. I've seen the Atkins diet mentioned numerous times on this board, and nobody offed those threads.

TalkingRat

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »

I'd feel a lot better about their slight if these women didn't make such a large mis-statement on the dosage.  Not that sugar is the dose of choice when there are EFAs to be gained from oils, but I sure know it isn't 3 teaspoons of sugar.  What experienced dieter (or cook) would make a mistake like that; I thought just about everyone knew how many calories in a teaspoon of sugar.  They made no mention of drinking sugar water verrrry slooowwwwwly, either.  Maybe someone who is a member of that board can  contact them directly so they correct those two glaring errors. 

Where do you get the idea they are close to ideal weight?  All three sisters on their blogs say they need to get back on the diet wagon.  And imagine, one of them went to the extreme of gastric bypass surgery, and gained back 40 pounds.  I don't even want to think about how dangerous that was.  It's really too bad they didn't read carefully enough to understand the plan, or to give  SLD a fair time trial.  They might have found their broken hunger signals got switched off, just like mine did.

patsi

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »

I can't believe they have blatantly closed a thread. It looks like I just joined but I have belonged for around 3 years to the 3 Fat Chicks.  My computer crashed and I got a new email address and they told me to just rejoin.
I have never seen them act like this.  :? They have South Beach and Atkins threads on the forum along with others with no problem. Well they lost me I know it won't make any difference but I am sure I am not alone.
patsi

paulkimelman

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 04:34:41 PM »

>Highly unlikely. I've seen the Atkins diet mentioned numerous times on this board, and nobody offed those threads.

Of course those do not compete with SLD. That is the interesting thing about this. SLD does not say you cannot or should not continue with a dietary plan (as opposed to a "diet" in the broader sense) such as Atkins (low carb), WW (controlled calorie), SB (low GI foods), various low fat diets, or any of the other "plans" that define what you can and cannot eat.

saggi girl

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »

Paul, if we follow your line of thought, then we would have to conclude that the SLD does not truly compete with the 3FC's book either.

So the question remains:  Why are they so afraid of the SLD?

paulkimelman

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »

Because their book is supposed to be the definitive guide to how to diet and live a dieting lifestyle. Anything outside of their method or suggestion is likely to be threatening.

Note that this is likely true of any food restriction diet plan out there. They would consider SLD threatening because it may make their diet irrelevant for many people. The reverse is not true. As in much of life, things are asymmetrical in this area.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »

I'd feel a lot better about their slight if these women didn't make such a large mis-statement on the dosage.  Not that sugar is the dose of choice when there are EFAs to be gained from oils, but I sure know it isn't 3 teaspoons of sugar.  What experienced dieter (or cook) would make a mistake like that; I thought just about everyone knew how many calories in a teaspoon of sugar.  They made no mention of drinking sugar water verrrry slooowwwwwly, either.  Maybe someone who is a member of that board can  contact them directly so they correct those two glaring errors. 

Where do you get the idea they are close to ideal weight?  All three sisters on their blogs say they need to get back on the diet wagon.  And imagine, one of them went to the extreme of gastric bypass surgery, and gained back 40 pounds.  I don't even want to think about how dangerous that was.  It's really too bad they didn't read carefully enough to understand the plan, or to give  SLD a fair time trial.  They might have found their broken hunger signals got switched off, just like mine did.

The one that wrote the review -- the review that seems to willfully misrepresent the amount of calories so that if you try the diet from the review it will fail (which I concluded from the way they locked the thread) -- stated as follows:

ut the truth of the matter is that I'm rarely hungry anyway, so I didn't expect it to help. What DOES help me stay on track with my diet more than anything is regular exercise. It's a natural appetite suppressant, it's calorie free. I watch food portions because subconsciously, I don't want to undo any good that I did during my workout, plus I have a lot more positive energy. My mealtime goals are focused more on making sure I ate enough whole grains and green things, or making sure I excluded sat fats.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »

Because their book is supposed to be the definitive guide to how to diet and live a dieting lifestyle. Anything outside of their method or suggestion is likely to be threatening.

Note that this is likely true of any food restriction diet plan out there. They would consider SLD threatening because it may make their diet irrelevant for many people. The reverse is not true. As in much of life, things are asymmetrical in this area.

Nicely said, though I also think they've concluded the diet is "yucky" (she really has an adverse mental reaction to oil and has the typical dieter's hate towards sugar), and by association, thinking about it is "yucky."

Lets give it a year and see where things are.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2006, 08:27:53 PM »

Visit this thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85267&highlight=Shangri-la

The guy is a user from 2003, and she went in and deleted his links, basically stating that all anyone needs to know about SLD can be found in the review on their front page (at least that is my opinion of how her post struck me,  here it is):

I have deleted your links to Mr. Roberts' site. As I am well aware he has asked members of his forums for help in promoting his book and has even given away free copies of his book to bloggers in return for them posting their reviews on their blogs.

While all are welcome here to discuss the plan and give each other support and advice while on this plan (in fact there is a group here already discussing the plan) you are violating the 3fc forum rules by posting links to Mr Roberts' site and in a round about way posting links to other peoples' blogs that lead to Mr. Roberts' site - apparently all roads lead to Rome in this case.

There is actually a review of the book and a photo of the book on the 3fc front page so members are already aware the book exists.

I'm obviously not going to post any more on the SLD there, nor will I post any links.

I'm not sure about the real why and how of how they feel, much of it seems atavistic rather than calculated.

Of course this is all my opinion, varying from read to read.

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2006, 08:36:39 PM »

bizarre.  its like a witch hunt.  and what's up with demonizing seth roberts there? 

SnowInApril

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2006, 09:22:20 PM »

Hello everyone.

I would like to say that I am not here to start a fight with anyone and that I am not here representing anyone but myself since  I have been misquoted

The last two lines were left out:

The Shangri-la plan is an interesting concept and there is room for valid discussion of the plan here.

Good luck with your efforts and please let us know how things are going for you on the plan!

I am not against this plan so please don't take that from what has been said.  In fact my father is doing a plan from an older book which involves drink 2tsps of cod liver oil mixed with 1/2 a cup of whole milk every morning combined with other dietary elements and he  has lost 10 lbs in 6 weeks and it has helped his psoriasis so I would be the last person dismiss the oil drinking.  All I said was I didn't think I would be able to do it and that I didn't really see the point as I would prefer to eat wholefoods - so I for one never attacked the SLD plan or Mr. Roberts. Why should his book be any less valid then any other book out there? 

I wish Mr.Roberts and all of you every success.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 03:31:36 AM by SnowInApril »

kindall

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »

You do have to be careful when visiting other forums about coming off like a "true believer." Every new diet generates a crowd of zealots who have early success with the plan and run around promoting the diet as THE ANSWER to weight problems. Six months later, of course, they've fallen off the diet and are nowhere to be found. I'm sure people who run dieting forums are sick to death of having to deal with these people, as they can be quite annoying. Right now, from the standpoint of someone who's not actually doing SLD but rather trying to run a diet support forum, there's little to distinguish SLD adherents from others who have come and gone. Give SLD a year to show it has staying power and is not just a fad, and I think a lot of this will go away.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18