Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
TalkingRat: A New Start 2/26/10. (Beginning at Post 492)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42]   Go Down

Author Topic: TalkingRat: A New Start 2/26/10. (Beginning at Post 492)  (Read 102983 times)

TalkingRat

Re: TalkingRat: A New Start 2/26/10. (Beginning at Post 492)
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »

Week 35, average weight down 1.6 lbs.  This week was a low cycle with 3 new lows, down to 154.2.  I'm up from that the last two days, I don't know where that cyclical spike pattern went, it's looking like two small spikes, this being the start of one. 

DS has fizzy water kefir, yay.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:07:57 PM by TalkingRat »

TalkingRat

« Reply #616 on: September 11, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

Week 36, average weight barely above last week.  Nothing unusual, it appears to be stabilizing at 155, and I beat my old low by a tick, now at 154.   I haven't been as careful in my eating this week, or in getting my omega3, so I will tweak and be content with my new stable setpoint. 

TalkingRat

« Reply #617 on: September 18, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »

Week 37, three weeks averaging ~155.  There's no "diet" effort here, I eat what and when I want.  My monthly spike came two days ago (earlier now) and I'm already back at my low of 154, so I think I will see more downside.

I ran out of coconut milk a couple weeks ago, and have been using coconut oil.  My reflux symptoms returned, so it seems it was coconut milk that made the difference.  I'm happy to drink CM for a couple weeks, to catch up.  Yum.

TalkingRat

« Reply #618 on: September 25, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »

Week 38, another week around 155.  I reached 154 at the end of August, and since then have bounced 1-3 lbs higher, then returning to my old low.  I keep reminding myself that the other slow months looked less like a weight reversal once I reached a new low.

It really feels like Fall.  I've been hungry and cold, body temp has dropped to 96, so I'm visualizing the release of stored energy and the pleasure of refueling on organic peaches.  Finally, I see an advantage to such a chilly summer.   :D

I think coconut helps gets fuel burning started in the morning.   

TalkingRat

« Reply #619 on: October 02, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »

Week 39, average weight 154.3, down half a pound from my prior best weekly average, and a new low of 153.2.   I've been bouncing between 154-156 all month long. 

Half of me says stick with the 'non-diet' attitude, so what if it takes awhile to reach goal!  The other half says 5 lbs. in a month is a reasonable 'diet' expectation, did my metabolism break again?  I think I will give it another month before considering any changes. 

Phoebe

« Reply #620 on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »

Hi Talking Rat,  Congratulations on all the weight you've lost.  I am wondering if you have been taking coconut oil everyday, or is it coconut milk?  I couldn't quite tell how long ago you switched from coconut oil to coconut milk.  Pinkmug was saying awhile back that she thought a teaspoon of coconut oil was really helping her metabolism, so I wondered what your experiences are and if you agree. 

Thanks for you input.  I tend to lurk around and try to copy what works for others, and your weight loss is really impressive!

TalkingRat

« Reply #621 on: October 02, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »

Thanks, Phoebe.

I alternate CO and CM for platinum calories, 1 teaspoon coconut oil (40 calories) or 2 tablespoons coconut milk (55 calories) in coffee, usually 3 cups/day.  I read that CM isn't supposed to keep long, so I use CM until the can's gone (about 4 days), then switch to CO for 4-7 days.  I think alternating gives me better AS than either one alone.

I get a thermic effect from both CM/CO, presumably from MCFAs  being readily available as energy.  I've also tried to be better about breakfast.  I follow the one hour window with platinum calories, so sometimes breakfast waits if I'd rather have a second cup of coffee.  CO/CM kick starts my metabolism, and then breakfast adds to that good effect.  Breakfast alone never did a thing for my metabolism.  Now I eat about 25% more than my old maintenance level, which is why it doesn't feel like a diet.  8)

I started platinum calories end of February, and added CM in mid-March.  Kind of tried each of them for a little bit, but I think I settled on the alternation plan relatively soon. 

TalkingRat

« Reply #622 on: October 09, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »

Week 40.  I'm back up to my plateau weight, so let's call it Week 6 of "weight stabilization."

I went shopping, and discovered jeans have had another round of vanity sizing.  Seriously, I need a belt to wear a size 8?  :lol:

TalkingRat

« Reply #623 on: October 17, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »

Week 41, now it's 7 weeks at 154-155.  Not a bad thing, but I'd like to find a new low before the predicted monthly spike. 

The heating season has officially begun, and I haven't adjusted;  66 feels cold.  I need a way to convince my body that chilly weather is a signal to burn fat, not store it.  :lol:  Today I drank too much coffee to keep warm, so tomorrow I am going to try sugar in hot water, SLD style.

On the good news side, my neighbor stopped me outside and wanted to know my 'secret' to weight loss success.  I didn't want to give him too much info all at once, so I just mentioned coconut and chia.  He thought I was joking  :shock:

TalkingRat

« Reply #624 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »

I'm behind on the weekly updates.  Continuing into week 11 (?) of steady weight.  I was ready to adjust my ticker higher, but it's still representative of my lows, it's just not my typical weight.

I got out my lightbox yesterday, and took inventory of my eating habits.  AS is sufficient, but my snacking is not well controlled.  I need to find less calorie-dense snacks -- warm, salty, crunchy foods.  I'm writing down what I eat outside of dinner, and paying more attention to portion size.

Lately I've had granola and yogurt for breakfast.  It's hard to measure accurately, but the main problem is the sweetness makes me want more.  Today I had oatmeal with dried cranberries and yogurt, and it was filling.  I started with 1 cup black coffee, and breakfast 90 minutes later.  That made me realize, I'm back to late breakfasts.  I plan to work in breakfast earlier in the day, to kick start metabolism sooner.

TalkingRat

« Reply #625 on: December 01, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »

I've really lost my routine, appetite all over the place.  This last month, I gained 7 lbs rather quickly, with a few  "3 lbs overnight" occasion.  After Thanksgiving carbs, I hit a high of 161, first time since July.  This morning I was at 159.4, and that's where I'm resetting my ticker, because I haven't seen 153 for awhile.  I would be satisfied to have my old 154-155 range back again, and wait out the winter there.  I hate seeing that chart reverse itself so dramatically.  It was not calories in/calories out either, which bugs me.  It seems to be a metabolism change. 

One thing that changed a few weeks ago:  I started buying 2% instead of whole milk. I switched back to whole milk two days ago, and noticed an immediate decrease in appetite.  Last night, I tried butter tea instead of hot chocolate, and had butter tea again this morning.  It seems to have turned off my craving for nuts.  I think there is something in butterfat that I was missing. 

shovelqueen

« Reply #626 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »

Exactly how do you make butter tea?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

TalkingRat

« Reply #627 on: December 01, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »

I've been doing a quick version of butter tea.  I microwaved a Lipton tea bag for 3 minutes, and added 1 T butter.  It tasted a bit odd, but then I added about 1/4 c. milk to cool it down, and it tasted very rich.  Today I tried decaf Blueberry, and shook it in a jar until frothy.  Maybe next time I'll try the blender.   I read somewhere that the tea should be a smoky flavor; I have some Murchies Queen Victoria loose tea, it's old but I may try that, as it's smoky.

You can find the traditional method (and customs) on Wiki, but here's a simpler recipe:

http://www.yowangdu.com/tibet/tibetan-food-recipes/po-chu.html

Seth talked about butter tea on his blog this summer, and CleverLazyBoy just mentioned it recently, so I thought it would be a good thing to warm me up rather than hot chocolate. 

TalkingRat

« Reply #628 on: January 20, 2011, 09:31:46 AM »

Hmm, looks like it's been about 7 weeks since I updated.  I still am not back to my full routine.  I hate winter.  My metabolism slows down, I want to eat nuts, and I'm back to gaining 3 lbs the morning after I have bread or even brown rice.   On the positive side, I don't think I'm back to my old 1200 calorie/day maintenance level, and I've kept to my exercise goals for the past three weeks.  Starting today, I am getting serious again.  I am cutting back on dairy, between meal snacks (it's not from true hunger), and measuring things again, to re-calibrate portion sizes.  Until I'm comfortably away from 160 again, I'm counting calories, much as I hate that now.  And I'm off to the store, to get SLD supplies.   :D

Today's weight is 161, not much of a change upward, but I am resetting my ticker there. 

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18