Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
TalkingRat: A New Start 2/26/10. (Beginning at Post 492)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: TalkingRat: A New Start 2/26/10. (Beginning at Post 492)  (Read 102178 times)

CarolS

Re: TalkingRat: Start 7/16 @ 182.5 pounds ... 9 weeks, -9.7 pounds
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 08:20:51 AM »

My husband made popcorn last night - the really bad kind - full of trans fat and proud of it.  It smelled so bad.  Not tempting at all.  Hope this means all that kind of food will taste or smell bad and I will no longer want it- another great side effect of SLD.

ani

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »

Except that it isn't really a "side effect" -- realigning your appetite is specifically part of what the method is supposed to do!

CarolS

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 12:43:40 PM »

Oh that wouldn't matter to me.  If something tempted me it wouldn't matter if I was hungry or not  :)  I'm just liking that crappy junky food isn't tempting me like it used to  :)  I still like good junk food.

Ann H

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 11:20:08 PM »

I made great popcorn last night. It was my carbo for dinner. (Also had tempeh and fruit.) I think popcorn's great: it's whole-grain, and has corn's very healthy amino acid profile. Also easy to make and eat.

To make the GOOD stuff, put good olive oil, dried basil, dried tarragon, salt, garlic cloves, and optional cayenne/Thai spice in a blender, proportions to your taste, and whiz until it's a smooth, thin, green, delicious oil. Drizzle it over your home-popped (I use a skillet and organic rainbow popcorn grains) popcorn and toss. Sprinkle on nutritional yeast to your taste (I use a good thick coating) and mix again. Completely delicious--and not just for health-food-loving weirdos like me! My Chinese hubbie yums it down, and he usually hates popcorn. My baby and preschooler yum it down too. Mmmmm.

This is a beauty of SLD. Out with the junk, in with the good stuff. :)

Ann H

TalkingRat

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 07:07:32 AM »

CarolS, yes, it is especially nice not to be tempted by junk food.  People look at me a bit oddly when I decline perfectly good food, too. 

Ann H, thanks for the recipe!  I can't remember the last time I popped corn.   It's practically a lost art.  The last box of microwave popcorn I got was particularly bad.  I got it because it looked better from the nutritional summary.  It tastes like sugarwater.  :lol: 

And the good news is:  171.0 this morning, matching my low of four weeks ago. 

CarolS

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 07:45:52 AM »

That sounds really good.  Maybe add some parmesean cheese sometimes?

TalkingRat

Re: TalkingRat: Start 7/16 @ 182.5 pounds ... 10 weeks, -11.7 pounds
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2006, 11:12:03 AM »

A great week, overall.  My plateau ended, and I got a nice whoosh, dropping from a high of 174 last week to 170.2, and I stayed there until I overate yesterday.  My AS was perfectly fine, it was emotional eating, around 1800 calories for the day, and I was up a pound this morning.  My average for the week was still a 2 pound loss.   I am not at all hungry today.

I've decided to use my lowest weight of the week for my ticker, to give me a bit of incentive to hang on to my best weight.

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »

TR, you rock!  and you're catching up to me-- :)

2 lbs in a week is pretty good--any advice for the masses?  besides our extended AS vs satiety discussion?

TalkingRat

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »

Aw, thanks, Chrianna. 

I didn't do anything special, I think it was stopping that coconut association.  I'm only a pound lower than I was four weeks ago, so it doesn't seem like much yet. 

I do think adding antiioxidants helps.  I sprinkle cinnamon on my coffee and that seems like a meal.  I'm doing what Bekel and I noticed, if I add a coffee an hour after my lunch, I'm stuffed.  I need to find a good summary of antioxidants online.  Anybody have a favorite link?  I do have a list started, but I haven't figured out which ones by standard serving size are the most powerful.  Cinnamon is stronger than an apple, by weight, but that's a useless factoid, huh?

ginger
tumeric
oregano
cinnamon
cloves
cumin
capsaicin
black pepper
chili powder
red chili peppers
mixed spices
garlic
onion
coconut
green tea
caffeine
sage
parsley
licorice
marjoram
summer savory
thyme
rosemary
common balm
peppermint
blueberries
small red beans
cranberries

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 01:50:48 PM »

cool, TR.  i'm brewing a cup of raspberry green tea right now so i'll sprinkle some cinnamon on it . . .

i admire the way you collect data to help with SLD and antioxidant protocol--i know for you it means the difference between a life with pain or a life without but i'm glad you're sharing so we can all benefit.

TalkingRat

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 01:53:04 PM »

I added another tweak to my SLD dosing.  After my emotional eating Saturday,  I wanted to see if upping my oil would help, so I took 2T in the morning, figuring on taking another T in the evening.  Well, that knocked me so much I never got around to taking more.  I've done that for 2 days, and the AS is strong.  I had planned on trying oil after breakfast a la Bean's thread, but the last two days, I skipped breakfast and had a small lunch.  I would have thought spreading the calories around would be more effective, but this seems to be working better.  I'll stick with this for a bit, and if I decide to stay with it, I'll change my dose notes.  If I need more, I'll add an evening dose back in.

bean

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »

What were you doing before? was it 1tbsp twice a day? and smoothies?
I'm adding loads of spices to my breakfast smoothies, and loving the AS, thanks for the tip! I'll try doing the oil an hour after, too.

TalkingRat

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »

Bean, yes, I was doing 1T ELOO am and 1T Walnut pm.  And usually 50 calories in fish (bedtime) and 20-30 in flax oil (daytime) capsules.  I was only doing a smoothie or two a week, and haven't had one since I discovered the coconut problem.  Eventually I'll have another.  I am still doing a little noseclipping (soup, salads) to counter any day of overeating.  So the antioxidant spicing is going into regular food, and cinnamon in my coffee.  Do you happen to notice any thermogenic effect (feeling warm)?  I usually feel a rush of heat within 40 minutes after a meal, even with my cinnamon cappuccino. 

Be sure to post how your "oil an hour after" experiment goes! 

TalkingRat

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2006, 03:49:23 PM »

Oh, I keep forgetting to post this link. 

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=6231

It's USDA updated (2006) listing of flavonoid content.  I wish it were a little more consumer-friendly, but I also ran into some articles about it, that summarized some of the key foods with antioxidants.  Here's one that lists the antioxidant content per serving size.

http://www.seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Nutrition-Vitamins/4-06-23Antioxidants.htm

TalkingRat

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 10:21:17 AM »

I'm sure I've been making this harder than it is.  I have all the tools I need to do this, and I believe I've figured out another part of my bouncing weight puzzle. 

I had been thinking the weight bouncing was because I was losing AS, which led to eating more; I was focused on the oil for figuring out why my AS was bouncing.  A few weeks ago, I reported that noseclipped smoothies didn't give me AS unless they were carb balanced.  Well, duh, the same thing applies to my regular meals.  A badly balanced meal, and my weight bounces up.  This last bounce, I knew it wasn't too many calories; it was, however, the wrong type of calories. 

I'm not diabetic, but I had gestational diabetes.  My glucosolated index was perfectly fine, but my glucose spikes and stays there longer than it should.  I was taught how to balance.  Lately I've been eating a frozen plum or two when I got hungry between meals.  Healthy fruit, unhealthy balance.  I made the same mistake with an evening snack;  I noseclipped yogurt, without balancing the carbs.  My latest weight gain, I confess, was from mashed potatoes at dinner, the ultimate in high GI.   :oops:  You are right, Chrianna, I don't think it will take white knuckling, it will just take sensible balancing on my part.  Once again, thanks, friend, for making me think out the solution.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18