Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips  (Read 96941 times)

imsovain

Re: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »

Has anybody experienced headaches because of noseclip SLD.  I had a monster headache today after doing 2 small meals clipped yesterday.  May be a coincidence.

paulkimelman

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »

>     So assumedly, if you completely block your nose....there is NO taste? Or more precisely no flavor?
>
> I've tried it for 2 meals, tastes are present but muted.  Sweet tastes in particular seem to still be present.

You would still expect to get all the tastebud tastes, but weird. These include sweet, sour, bitter, salty, meaty, astringent, spicy (hot). But, like drinking sugar water, it will taste strange because we rely on volatiles (scents) to inform our sense of taste.

94S10 (a.k.a. Truckman)

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2006, 07:57:46 PM »

> So assumedly, if you completely block your nose....there is NO taste? Or more precisely no flavor?
>
> I've tried it for 2 meals, tastes are present but muted. Sweet tastes in particular seem to still be present.

You would still expect to get all the tastebud tastes, but weird. These include sweet, sour, bitter, salty, meaty, astringent, spicy (hot). But, like drinking sugar water, it will taste strange because we rely on volatiles (scents) to inform our sense of taste.

So you would say that any resultant weight loss would be a result of "strange" flavors as opposed to "flavorless" food?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »

So you would say that any resultant weight loss would be a result of "strange" flavors as opposed to "flavorless" food?

I would say that the weight loss that nose-clipping produces is due to stripping foods of what makes them fattening -- their smell. It isn't obvious that smells are what make foods fattening but the success of this technique makes that idea likely. When I assumed that sweetness didn't count as a flavor, that was a move in the direction of taste = unimportant, smell = important, but not all the way there.

If I had to choose between your two choices I would choose flavorless. But it isn't accurate since the foods still have tastes (e.g., sweet).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:13:55 PM by Seth Roberts »

Ann H

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2006, 08:38:34 PM »

Some things, though, that get their "flavors" ONLY from their smells, like oils, are truly flavorless with the clips. Finally flavorless oils for the supertasters. And any other "food" that doesn't register through the tastebuds (no salty, sweet, etc) will also be truly tasteless. No clue what these might be other than our oils.

Anyone tried extra virgin oils of various sorts, nose-clipped, to see if you can taste them or not? (Thus far I've only used my refined coconut oil, with great success.) Remember to leave the clip on a good 5-10 minutes after taking the oil, and get a lot of rinsing or drinking water done before you take them off.

Seth, another marketable product for you. A noseclip range. You can team up with some of the gang from Project Runway to design a whole line. Ideas, for a start:

-The Speedo: sleek, minimalist, easy on, easy off
-The Birkensmell: leather (or faux), ultra-comfortable, and obligingly homely
-The Natural: flesh toned in the hues of humanity: "You can't even see it's there!"
-The Clown: Well, this should be obvious. If you're going to use a clip, might as well make it fun
-The Pixie: some little pixie/sprite thing clamping the s*** out of your nose
-The Groucho: comes with entire fake nose, eyeglasses, and mustache (but a small one, so it doesn't drag through your food)
-The Warhol: pop-culture art noseclips, in a variety of colors. Can even have a little Marilyn at the end.
-The Snooty / The Monty Python: a miniature hand using thumb and finger to pinch the nose
-The Silver Clothespin: for the privileged. "She was born with a silver clothespin on her nose"....
-Temporary nose jewellry: try to pass it off as a decoration while you eat... (I can hardly type these at this point; I think I'll give up before I fall off my chair.)

:D Haha. But seriously, I'd buy a speedo/Birkensmell version. :) And maybe a clown...

Ann H

LowerBoy

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2006, 11:35:42 PM »

yes, drinking milk with noseclips on should turn milk from bland to flavorless.

No freaking way!!!
I'm going to try this. I will take this over oil ANY day. This is too good to be true.

- LB
LowerBoy, quick stats:
Male, 29 y/o, 5'10'' Start date: 5/5/2006

Vee

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2006, 04:27:50 AM »

Seth, another marketable product for you. A noseclip range. You can team up with some of the gang from Project Runway to design a whole line.

How about a Cyrano, or maybe a Pinocchio?

Thanks for the laugh!
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...

~ Mary Poppins

mdc

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2006, 09:46:39 AM »

I just tried brushing my teeth while pinching my nose closed with the other hand.  I honestly couldn't taste the minty toothpaste!  My mouth feels clean and there's a little of that coolness from the mint, but no taste!   

Might be an option for those who want to take their oil at bedtime

94S10 (a.k.a. Truckman)

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »

Thought that I'd try the "noseclip" technique at lunch today. Of course I didn't have any noseclips so I had to improvise and tried stuffing my nose with cotton balls. The problem was that I was still able to breathe slightly through the cotton balls. Undaunted, I decided to soak the cotton balls in warm water, squeezed out the excess water and stuffed them up. That seemed to work fine. Felt like I had a real bad cold and was completely stuffed up.
I opened a can of chili, heated it up and started to eat it. Oddly, there didn't seem to be much difference in taste! It was slightly less flavorful, but I guess I was expecting to not taste anything.
I'm wondering if being a "non-taster" will be a hinderance in this regard. Meaning that if you don't normally experience strong taste anyway, will this technique be a sufficent enough change to make a difference?

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »

I don't know. But you are my hero for stuffing wet, warm cotton balls up your nose.

Just wanted to let you know.
Running weight tally:

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »

94S10, I hope you will report back what happens when you use nose clips. I noticed a big difference between clipped and unclipped.

terry

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »

I would say that the weight loss that nose-clipping produces is due to stripping foods of what makes them fattening -- their smell. It isn't obvious that smells are what make foods fattening but the success of this technique makes that idea likely. When I assumed that sweetness didn't count as a flavor, that was a move in the direction of taste = unimportant, smell = important, but not all the way there.

Hm-mm.  I've talked about this on another thread but, thought it appropriate here, as well.  There is nothing wrong with my olfactory nerve but, due to polyps and allergic swelling in my nose, I have a very intermittent sense of smell because air can't get to the nerve, especially in the Summer due to allergies, I can't smell about 98% of the time, right now.  When the swelling is down for brief moments, I can smell/taste anything and everything brilliantly.  There are times I have been burning something in the kitchen and can't tell until my eyes start burning from the smoke.  When it's gone, it's gone.  When it's there, it's there, perfectly.

This condition has been with me for about 20 years and the only time I can smell for long periods of time is the few years after two sinus surgeries that I've had to remove the polyps but, they keep growing back.

Trust me, I have NO appetite suppression from this condition.  If anything, it seems like it's harder to quench my appetite.  I have gained about 50 pounds since this condition started due to this and other life-changing things like giving birth, emotional eating during divorce, etc.  Sorry to rain on the nose-clips parade but, just want to help determine the reasons SLD effect happens or doesn't happen.

BTW, I have been using SLD method for about two months now.  I have some very strong intermittent appetite suppression but, I haven't found what works for me, continuously.  I'm continuing because some appetite suppression is better than none and, have hope it will get stronger and more regular over time and self-experimentation.

tarheelatheart

• annemoss.com
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »

Your taste buds will taste sour, salt, sweet even if your nose is clipped or stuffed or whatever.

But it does take the flavor away, the nose clips. I can't eat with the nose clips. But if it works for you, it sounds like an easy plan if not the kind of plan you want to execute in a restaurant.

94S10 (a.k.a. Truckman)

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »

94S10, I hope you will report back what happens when you use nose clips. I noticed a big difference between clipped and unclipped.

Will do. But are you saying that completely stuffing my nose is less effective than the clips? Or are you saying that you are also a non-taster and clipping made a difference for you?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2006, 12:25:34 PM »

I am saying that stuffing your nose with cotton may have had a different effect than nose-clipping will have, yes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18