Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips  (Read 96939 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 06:18:11 AM »

Frenata... LOL... I don't have the slightest idea if joidevivre's gone or not... And disagreeing with each other's opinions is not being uncivil, IMHO.
Not to play devil's advocate, but maybe the people crying and begging for food weren't doing it out of hunger! Maybe they were just emotional eaters before, who used food for comfort.
I too would like to know more about amount of appetite versus length of intubation.
The rest I think your opinion is OK, since those people don't eat out of hunger or lack thereof.

Oh, and happy birthday!

Thanks!!!  8)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 06:34:32 AM »

You know, Seth, there might be a link here to why some folks--often women, but not always--don't get easy, sustained weight loss on the standard formulae. I think many in this group are more sensitive to smells and tastes. The noseclip finally kills off the scent associations we get from oils.

not only makes sense but is testable.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 06:46:17 AM »

Thinking on this: More women are supertasters than men, and pregnancy and breastfeeding greatly enhance our senses of smell and taste. I betcha in general women may be more sensitive to taste and smell. It makes sense evolutionarily. On this logic, the more sensitive individuals--including sensitive males--might face problems until they doff their sniffer, by donning a noseclip.

Ann H

I once read something to that effect. Cavewomen developed more accurate senses than cavemen, as they had to make sure the offspring had a fair chance of surviving. They had to know if a food was still good for consumption, if a drink wasn't poisonous, they even developed a better comprehension of facial expressions (to know if a baby was felling well or not), so women did develop more sensitive perceptions. Now, where did I read that. Might have been from "Defending the cavewoman: and other tales of evolutionary neurology. " by Dr. Harold Klawans. i'm not sure. Anyway, this is a great book I highly recommend!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Marianna

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 06:56:54 AM »

Absolutely True--I can smell things No One else can--I am truly like a dog--My husband finds this somewhat irritating as often I am smelling something coming from him ("what did you have for lunch honey")--my sense of smell has always been extrasensitive, but truly got supercharged after my two pregnancies.  I would become deathly ill from even the faintest whiff of something pungent, especially cooking smells--most particularly meat.  I still cannot tolerate veal--which might be just fine for political reasons, but is due to the fact that I went to an Italian restaurant for dinner 25 years ago when I was pregnant with my eldest.  I am sure evolutionarily, that developing this acute sense of smell helped us protect the fetus from toxic or off foods, and helped us in the whole gatherer part of the hunter gatherer thing.  I am always blown away that my hubbie isn't absolutely revolted by some odour that knocks me out--he doesn't smell it at all. 

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 07:13:16 AM »

Something like that happened to me recently. I was with some friends, one of them pregnant, and the pregnant one could smell something (which nauseated her and she couldn't go near) that the rest of us could not.

Marianna

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 07:17:36 AM »

I think this really might be the key to why this method is more difficult for women--we are supposed to be able to taste and smell things acutely in order to protect the species--it makes it more of a challenge to truly take in tasteless calories--

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2006, 07:18:45 AM »

Okay, all you noseclippers! Doesn't swallowing with your nose blocked make your ears pop? I tried pinching my nose shut for my morning oil and it was a real problem. I can't imagine making it through a meal like that.
Running weight tally:

spacehoppa

• England
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »

I too was a supersmeller whilst pregnant. I felt truly nauseous every time I entered my kitchen for months  :shock: . (It was a good excuse to cut down on my cooking responsibilities for a month or two :wink: .) It was really irritating, but seems to have gone away since giving birth. I also had a horrible taste in my mouth for pretty much all of my pregnancy. It could have been ketosis breath as I was told I was ketotic on many occasions by the nurse.

I guess it's possible the increased sense of smell was to blame too. All my friends who have been pregnant lately have also noted the increased sense of smell. It's annoying because suddenly every bit of dust or lint smells rancid... urgh... makes me feel sorry for the dog.
Female, 35 yrs, started SLD 3rd May 2006, Start weight 196, Currently pregnant

saggi girl

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:56 AM »

Doesn't swallowing with your nose blocked make your ears pop?

Yes, and I've heard that is how flight attendants get their ears unblocked when in flight.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:19 AM »

swallowing with your nose clipped does take a little getting used to. Need to have enough air in one's mouth. It never made my ears pop.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

I just had a wondrous vision... a MacDonald's packed with people with noseclips on... and the noseclips provided courtesy from old Ronald... inside a pack like the Happy Meals, instead of toys!!  8)

patsi

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »

My Grandmother had no sense of smell her sinuses were damaged when she was a child. Food held no interest to her and she was never overweight.
patsi

94S10 (a.k.a. Truckman)

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »

So assumedly, if you completely block your nose....there is NO taste? Or more precisely no flavor? Does being a "supertaster" result in less effect? How about us non-tasters? Could this be a more effective solution for us?

tarheelatheart

• annemoss.com
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »

This is so fascinating. I had brain surgery and the nerve effected was my hypoglossal nerve, which is your tongue. Each cranial nerve controls each side of the tongue. However, right after each brain surgery for a few weeks, I had no taste. I had always assumed that I was one of those people who reacted to steroids by dropping weight since you are on steroids to prevent brain swelling after surgery. Now that I read this, it was probably the fact that I could not taste anything for a while. I dropped weight like a stone (way too much in fact) but this has to be the reason. The tastebuds on the right woke up and the left side which has no taste transferred to the right. So I can taste now on one side but it seems like both sides. The left side is still paralyzed oddly enough, which I've adpated to.

imsovain

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »

So assumedly, if you completely block your nose....there is NO taste? Or more precisely no flavor?

I've tried it for 2 meals, tastes are present but muted.  Sweet tastes in particular seem to still be present.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18